West Coast are now Australia's biggest club.

Remove this Banner Ad

fwiw this was a study on how many supporters each team has. Just supporters and nothing to do with actual members or revenue etc. Hard to say how accurate it is, but it is kind of interesting.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7345-roy-morgan-afl-supporter-ladder-2017-201709210118

Problem is numbers fluctuate too much eg. from 2016 to 2017 Essendon grew over 100 k fans and Collingwood lost over 100 k.

Plus they only survey 14,000 people over the age of 14. Not a big enough survey imo to get a true estimate of who is the biggest club

West coast make a lot of money from ripping off their members, I actually don’t understand why the AFL don’t control membership costs at clubs as they control everything else. An Eagles membership is at least a third higher than all Vic clubs membership.
The government position to build a 60k stadium was very much in line with what the Eagles wanted, they had a huge say in it. If we had built a 75k stadium it is very likely the Eagles would not of agreed to play there and would of stayed at Subiaco so they can continue to fleece their members. A bigger stadium would of meant membership costs would of had to drop or risk memberships being handed in.
Again it comes down to money and nothing else. The stadium was not built for the people, it was built for the Eagles.

Thats one way to look at the new stadium build & the seating #s.
I agree the Eagles were the customer any new venue needed, its where the reliable cash flow is.

You can argue the supply was based on demand less a bit, & it'd be hard to make an argument agin it. Works well for the Eagles, not so Freo.

The Venue managements budgetted AFL crowds at close to what the Eagles are pulling but its way too early to try & pull that apart.

Add politics and we have the product that is Perth Stadium.

It seems rather comical that we all talk about how Pokies revenue should not be counted and should be stamped out of the game etc and i completely agree...

However, It is rather ironic that one of the major AFL sponsors is CROWNBET ... Which is also gambling! , So the clubs are expected to lead by example and do the right thing for the community... but its ok for the nazi AFL to promote crownbet to the punters..

pot-kettle-black.

Not relevant on this thread about the Perth Stadium.

congrats on West Coast becoming the biggest club* in Australia

*plastic corporate league invention.

Be sure the people that followed the WAFL are every bit a footy follower that you & your elitist mates see each other as - heaps of us moved across at differing speeds to the national comp to the Eagles that have all that a footy club aspires to, but the difference with say the Tiges is the $millions the Eagles pump into local footy every year - time to look in the mirror beema, you've been dribbling ... people pay $more to join the Eagles than your cut price mob, why are you so cheap?

So who was the last captain of the Tiges to win a flag in the State League era beema?

Into pokies are you- yeh we all know you want to get out of them but cant afford it & want the AFL to pull you out.

After decades in the doldrums Benny Gale & Penny O'Neil are doing a great job getting the club back the respect you had in the VFL comp & they are good enough to carry the peanut gallery on their backs.

Last edited:

Says the flog who joined BF the month they won the GF. That's about as plastic as it gets.

You do realize every team is a corporation, otherwise you wouldn't exist. And there is nothing plastic about WA footy. Perhaps you should educate yourself, or has your one flag in 30 years corrupted you with arrogance? Or did you just start following footy in 2017?

Agree to a point, selective metrics may have the Eagles etc. at the top, but there is no doubt that the Tigers are at the very centre of the AFL universe right now.

Elite level success on and off the field, combined with the famous passion of their fans has generated a phenomenon which I don't think has been witnessed previously.
Put it back in your pants. I’ll let myself out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is silly to claim the title of the "biggest" AFL club.
Purely because there is a range of different data available, there is no single, overriding, definitive statistic.
However, club membership is an important statistic because it indicates loyalty to one's club.
Essendon, for example, which has had a torrid time in recent years, has 70,000 members.
It is an impressive figure.

It is silly to claim the title of the "biggest" AFL club.
Purely because there is a range of different data available, there is no single, overriding, definitive statistic.
However, club membership is an important statistic because it indicates loyalty to one's club.
Essendon, for example, which has had a torrid time in recent years, has 70,000 members.
It is an impressive figure.

Its not the Eagles laying claim ....... the aim of the game is premierships, AFL flags.

Is there a less inspiring measure than memberships without $s attached, particularly as rarely do games exceed memberships, where are these people?
A couple of years back a cashed up Bulldog supporter bought 1,000 memberships, good on him, but membership numbers?

In Melbourne, undeservedly.

Check you history.
1991 qualifying final at Subiaco oval Hawthorn defeated West Coast. Hawthorn then won the second semi and was te first team into the GF with ‘home’ advantage...... but hey let’s not let facts get the in way of your tears.

Then in 2015 Hawthorn could travel and win a finals at Subiaco against the top team,.... why couldn’t west coast travel and win a final against a team lower than them on the ladder? You can’t blame travel or playing on the away ground because it didn’t effect the Premiers now did it.

The thing about West Coast that people forget is it not a club owned by the members, they tried that via a public company, what a mess and went broke then had to be bailed out by WA tax payers. West coast is owned by the WAFC (West Australian Football Commission). The WAFC Is a government body. So it is a state government owned team........... there are some more facts

Then in 2015 Hawthorn could travel and win a finals at Subiaco against the top team,.... why couldn’t west coast travel and win a final against a team lower than them on the ladder? You can’t blame travel or playing on the away ground because it didn’t effect the Premiers now did it.
Except for 2 weeks prior when they were beaten in Perth by 50 points.

The jealously and hate is strong in this one!!

West Australia and Perth shouldn't have a club playing in the Australian Football League?

What exactly is your problem with that? At least the AFL hasn't propped them up for decades.

The thing about West Coast that people forget is it not a club owned by the members, they tried that via a public company, what a mess and went broke then had to be bailed out by WA tax payers. West coast is owned by the WAFC (West Australian Football Commission). The WAFC Is a government body. So it is a state government owned team........... there are some more facts

& .... so what .... the Eagles* put $millions into WA footy, is putting money into local footy a problem, particularly when the Vic clubs have no comparable line in their financials.

I'm a big fan of the current arrangement, why would you change it - see the debt loaded onto the SA clubs to get the SANFL out of ownership, bloody hell what a difference changing the ownership structure made ???

* apologies to Dockers fans who also tip in to WA footy courtesy the progressive ownership structure.

& .... so what .... the Eagles* put $millions into WA footy, is putting money into local footy a problem, particularly when the Vic clubs have no comparable line in their financials.

I'm a big fan of the current arrangement, why would you change it - see the debt loaded onto the SA clubs to get the SANFL out of ownership, bloody hell what a difference changing the ownership structure made ???

* apologies to Dockers fans who also tip in to WA footy courtesy the progressive ownership structure.

I didn’t ’t say it was wrong, I didn’t say change it, I didn’t say the ownership structure is not good...... I just said it was a fact....... chill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back