Club History 1993 - the under appreciated players

Remove this Banner Ad

Just goes to show a year is a long time in football I guess.

A.Daniher and Ezard would have been two of the first picked in 1991; the latter in fact won the Crichton in 1991.

From that, he goes to playing only 12 games in 1992 (not sure if injured or Sheeds was beginning to phase him out), and then only four appearances in 1993.

Could be wrong but I have strong recollection ezard might have won the reserves bnf in 93? Maybe.

He got over 20 possies in the qualifying final v Carlton if memory serves, good fall back option I guess. Akin to bringing a Hocking or Howlett in this year? (If on the list)

Didn't he miss one after that would have sealed it? I can't bring myself to watch it again!
Maybe it was before that banana, because my memory is his goal putting us 69-57 in front - after which we didn’t score again.

I could be remembering it incorrectly though!

The one v Carlton, he missed from 15 out Infront, then minutes later he marked a ball on the goal line, and the ump put him on extreme boundary angle.

He banana goaled. Perhaps he was ahead of his time with the banana on angle ;)

Brad Plain's body just kept letting him down. I don't know if he conditioned himself too well to be honest but his ankles were shot by the end of '93.
I remember being in the crowd at Windy Hill when he played and everyone just loved him. He was so mercurial and as mentioned could kick a bag in the blink of an eye.

Peter Cransberg, from memory, endured some pretty ordinary back issues that held him out of the team over his entire career. When up and about

Michael Symons....I'm not sure that Sheedy ever knew where his best spot was. Was it in front of goals or playing of half back. He had the most amazing vertical leap. Could take an absolute speccy, then he'd subsequently shank the kick, EVERY TIME. So frustrating. Easily one of the worst kicks I've ever seen and his action was just horrendous.

Just goes to show a year is a long time in football I guess.

A.Daniher and Ezard would have been two of the first picked in 1991; the latter in fact won the Crichton in 1991.

From that, he goes to playing only 12 games in 1992 (not sure if injured or Sheeds was beginning to phase him out), and then only four appearances in 1993.
Sheeds was phasing Ezard out before his BnF I reckon. Found a spot in defence for him in 91 and he played the role well, standing out in a declining/aging team.

Maybe it was before that banana, because my memory is his goal putting us 69-57 in front - after which we didn’t score again.

I could be remembering it incorrectly though!

You're probably right. I'm questioning my whole life now.

Salmon's GF performance - so underrated, especially given his opponent.

I don't think this thread can continue without mentioning Chris Daniher.

Played 2 blocks of games throughout the season, back in for the finals, possibly lucky to be in the GF given his quiet PF, then in the GF planted Matthew Hogg's face 6 inches deep into the goalsquare with a fend off executed in a manner that Dusty could only dream of doing.

It doesn't matter what Chris Daniher did for the other 123 games of his career, that fend off faceplant to Hogg was all kinds of awesome.

Last edited:
I don't think this thread can continue without mentioning Chris Daniher.

Played 2 blocks of games throughout the season, back in for the finals, possibly lucky to be in the GF given his quiet PF, then in the GF planted Matthew Hogg's face 6 inches deep into the goalsquare with a fend off executed in a manner that Dusty could only dream of doing.

It doesn't matter what Chris Daniher did for the other 123 games of his career, that fend off faceplant to Hogg was all kinds of awesome.
I loved the dirt flying up into the air when it happened. His face was literally moving forward along the ground throwing up dirt and dust as it went. I too enjoy seeing it immensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved the dirt flying up into the air when it happened. His face was literally moving forward along the ground throwing up dirt and dust as it went. I too enjoy seeing it immensely.

From 1:29 - 1:46, this is pure footballing bliss.

Tell me more!?
It's been reported before, Carlton had dominated stoppages for a few years, had ran the same plan at stoppages over that time, but no one figured it out.
Then Neil worked it out a fortnight before GF, and faxed it through to Sheeds. Parkin worked that out by quarter time.

It's been reported before, Carlton had dominated stoppages for a few years, had ran the same plan at stoppages over that time, but no one figured it out.
Then Neil worked it out a fortnight before GF, and faxed it through to Sheeds. Parkin worked that out by quarter time.
Didn't Daniher figure it out the night before the granny and accidentally fax it through to Carltons No.1 fan (one of his business clients) and then had to ring the client/fan and threaten him that he couldn't pass the info onto Parkin??
I've heard Parkin say he wish the fan had let him know because we smashed them in the midfield that day.

Hogg just ate s**t

Funny thing about Hogg... we had him at the club for ages in the under's. Eventually they gave him the flick, he went to Footscray, then played in a premiership at Carlton.
Was quite an intimidating guy as a kid - very quick & strong.

Didn't Daniher figure it out the night before the granny and accidentally fax it through to Carltons No.1 fan (one of his business clients) and then had to ring the client/fan and threaten him that he couldn't pass the info onto Parkin??
I've heard Parkin say he wish the fan had let him know because we smashed them in the midfield that day.

Correct. It was all to do with how/where Madden was standing, and where the midfielders were positioned. Neale Daniher worked it out on the Thursday or Friday before the GF, faxed the info to Sheeds, but indeed sent it to the clubs stationary/paper supplier by mistake - who was a huge Carlton fan. Neale rang him straight away & said that if he wanted another dollar from the club, he better lose the fax.

Parkin figured out that we'd worked them out after we'd kicked about 6 goals.

Sheedy, very good at playing politics. Micky Symons would take mark of the year and then kick it out on the full.
Your 100% right...when I heard it I thought it was Sheeds deflecting the heat he still cops about Kickett getting dropped. Did they only have 2 on the bench back then? Many years later didn't they give Tony Buhahagiar a retrospective mini Premiership Cup to recognise that if he had an extended bench in '84 he would have played?

Last edited:
I ran on in '93, had no intention was just down at the fence saluting the boys, when The Bomber next to me said " are you coming with me buddy" ? "You first" I replied, well over he went and got absolutely crunched, leaving a pathway for me to hop through.I'm pretty sure I jumped on O'Donell before being crunched myself.
Have a look, punt road end, lap if honour, sticks out like dogs balls once you know what you're looking for

Your 100% right...when I heard it I it was Sheeds deflecting the heat he still cops about Kickett getting dropped. Did they only have 2 on the bench back then? Many years later didn't they give Tony Buhahagiar a retrospective mini Premiership Cup to recognise that if he had an extended bench in '84 he would have played?
Absolutely, Budgie plays on an extended bench, he left for Footscray the next year a shattered man. An absolute crowd favourite Budgie.

Correct. It was all to do with how/where Madden was standing, and where the midfielders were positioned. Neale Daniher worked it out on the Thursday or Friday before the GF, faxed the info to Sheeds, but indeed sent it to the clubs stationary/paper supplier by mistake - who was a huge Carlton fan. Neale rang him straight away & said that if he wanted another dollar from the club, he better lose the fax.

Parkin figured out that we'd worked them out after we'd kicked about 6 goals.
Just looked it up in The Danihers book by Adam McNicol (page 258). Will give an edited version for anyone who doesn't have the book.
While Anthony did his best on the training track to ensure he was selected, Neale produced a revelatory finding. During the year he had been trying to work out why Carlscum consistency took the ball away from centre bounces. He studied countless videos of their matches, adamant that they had a definite system in place. Neale was right. Following the Qualifying final, he managed to crack the code.
The set-up involved Madden palming the ball to pre-ordained position at each bounce. Carlscums midfielders, Williams, Bradley, Ratten and Brown were also involved in a rotation tied at pre-determining who got the ball on each occasion. Neale divulged his discovery to a couple of players, among them ruckman Peter Somerville. Still a part-time coach, Neale was working at MicroHelp on the Thursday before the big game. Having finalised his plan to beat the Blues in the middle, he decided to fax it to Sheedy. He gave the sheets of paper to one of the personal assistants. In what could have been a disastrous mistake, she accidentally sent the document to a supplier, who turned out to be a passionate Scum supporter. Neal was told about the situation and immediately rang the supplier, demanding he rip up the fax. Eventually, Neale convinced him to ensure the sensitive information was not passed on to the Blues. "I trusted him...but I was bloody worried".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back