Draft Watcher 2018 Big Footy Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier Fry for me. Skills are sublime and think he has some very draftable attributes.

Welling / Wilson am watching as well. See a bit of Wellings and as mentioned by eth-dog he has had a super year.

Joshua Kemp is one to watch late in the season for Calder, once PEGS have finished he will be a player i keep a keen interest in for Calder games and a player i think goes in the top 50 with a strong finish to the year.

some other talent i liked were

Matthew Walker - Albury/Murray Bushranger (GWS A) rangy tall utility, similar to Foley from W.A. and Turner from Tas/Allies showed a bit for the Allies in the games i saw of him, not a big poss player, but has talent and impact

Jesse Quint - Morningside (BL A) small quick forward who just had clean disposal and everytime i wanted to discount him for being small he dd something impressive and by the end of the game i was a fan, only saw 1 game at etihad, he looked draftable maybe a rookie?

Joey Reinhard - UNSW (Syd A) hard working mid, looked like a rookie prospect, wasnt overly impressive, but something to work with for the swans

Aaron Nietschke - Central Districts, another who didnt stand out to me from a skills perspective, but i kept noticing him getting the ball and using it fairly well, so i think even though he doesnt have great speed, x-factor or isnt very clean, he has good solid abilities enough to get drafted late or rookied imo

Charlie Sprague is my surprise packet. Injury has wrecked his year, but incredibly talented as that medium forward. X-factor and great goal sense. Was probably the third highest Falcon coming into the year behind Walsh and McHenry.

Also #myboy Scott Carlin who I'm sure will attract a rookie pick at least.

Agree. Both have interest and I’m expecting to get state combine invites at least.
I have to admit to my eye Jed Hill has not come on like I'd expected, I really had high expectations going into the season whereas Charlie who I also liked last year has exceeded my expectations.

Charlie Sprague is my surprise packet. Injury has wrecked his year, but incredibly talented as that medium forward. X-factor and great goal sense. Was probably the third highest Falcon coming into the year behind Walsh and McHenry.

Also #myboy Scott Carlin who I'm sure will attract a rookie pick at least.

Sprague - yes, totally agree. Classic case of a second tier player (ie. not guaranteed to be drafted) in his first season of TAC who should have been right up there in conversations / Vic Country rep. this year, but due to injury has “fallen off the planet”.

Carlin - I watched him a couple of weeks ago. I’m not convinced yet. GWV have so little draftable talent IMO that if he gets picked up it’s be a great effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Hickmott - Subiaco-WA is Adrian Hickmott’s son and eligible F-S. He is stringing together a really good season and consistently getting 35-30 disposals and 5-8 tackles. He and Luke Foley are leading Subiaco with strength.

Oliver Eastland - Claremont. He is 196 cm and playing ruck but can also play key position. Has come up to league level is starting to flourish. Was still growing in his draft year (2016) and has really found his coordination in the last 12 months. Look at what Geelong have done in taking players who were not ready in their draft year and took a couple of years - Stewart, Kelly Menegola.

Sprague - yes, totally agree. Classic case of a second tier player (ie. not guaranteed to be drafted) in his first season of TAC who should have been right up there in conversations / Vic Country rep. this year, but due to injury has “fallen off the planet”.

Carlin - I watched him a couple of weeks ago. I’m not convinced yet. GWV have so little draftable talent IMO that if he gets picked up it’s be a great effort.
Carlin has been a disappointment for mine because he is normally a beautiful kick but his kicking hasn’t been it’s usual damaging self. Playing like an. Kid who is down on confidence. He comes with big wraps from Vic Country, when I talked to Lee Fraser he said “there isn’t a harder worker in the program than Scotty” so I’ll back him to get out of the slump and having those recommendations certainly does you no harm at least if it’s late in the draft and they are comparing players.

Those who were drafted are those who should have been.

For one prospect I'd love to see drafted, but no one will talk about - Charlie Thompson. Top quality leader. Endurance/work rate excellent. Has AFL size and strength. Big time ball winner who can play forward and get you 30 disposals and kick multiple goals or as a midfielder and get you 40 against lesser competition.

Kicking can improve and he's not explosive, but he covers an incredible amount of ground in a hurry.

Is anybody else able to give some info on the players Bishop chose for the Tiges?

Is anybody else able to give some info on the players Bishop chose for the Tiges?
I passed on your message and he got his s**t together.

Luke Foley

Foley is one of the Top 20 smokies after the overager was overlooked entirely last year by AFL clubs. Foley is a tall midfielder who possesses a good endurance base. Foley is a very smart midfielder and has a real good Footy IQ. He possesses a nice right foot kick and he has shown his ability to push forward and hit the scoreboard. His clearance work is good and he has a high impact per possession. He battled a hamstring injury coming into the Under 18 Championships, but he finished as one of WAs best players — finishing the carnival with 17 disposals, 10 tackles and six inside 50s in their win over the Allies.

Mitch Riordan

Injured plagued mid who if he gets it right can be a bargain. Might be overlooked in November, but could be a rookie. Very good runner, but constant hamstring injuries haven't helped.

Jez McLennan

Smart HBF, that reads the play exceptionally well and is willing to intercept. Kicks the football well and is a steal this late.

Joel Crocker
North Melbourne Father-Son, expecting him to get a late bid or go to the club as a rookie. Can play anywhere, has looked the goods in defence for Brighton Grammar at school footy in the last two years, when he has been out on the ground - and even went forward to good success in the opening few rounds of the APS season, with a bag of five goals and 26 disposals against Caulfield Grammar. Battled ankle/foot injury, but is out of a moon boot and aiming to be running at the Combine.

Snoop Dog

Pick 81 - Braydon Ham (Geelong Falcons)

Really rate this kid because while he did not make the final Vic Country squad, Ham just has that X-factor about him. Each time I have seen him, he has hurt the opposition despite not having a huge amount of touches. He is the kind of player that will often head home with 20 disposals and three goals, and has recently been moved to the backline, still having an impact there with a number of rebounds and still maintaining his ability to find the ball. He seems like he can be used in any position and has good core strength with plenty of upside. He is an over-ager, but one I can see going late/rookie and is great value here in the lottery of picks.

Snoop Dog

I'm still trying to work out how Jarrod Cameron (WCE NGA) ended up at Brisbane? Was the West Coast recruiter asleep?

I'm still trying to work out how Jarrod Cameron (WCE NGA) ended up at Brisbane? Was the West Coast recruiter asleep?
Read the first post again:

The Trial Run is all about just getting some names out so Father / Son Selections and Academy players are open slather and the discount system does not apply.

No but the Brisbane one was, that's how they ended up with Cameron ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back