Gaff coward punch assault on Andy thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here is a 4th teenager in the last 6 weeks with head injuries from assault during play at a footy game, this time another broken jaw. The tally, 3 broken jaws, 1 with blindness in one eye and spinal damage. Also in the article, an entire team is forfeiting the last 2 matches of the season due to an endemic violence issue they have.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...er-punch-which-broke-jaw-20180809-p4zwli.html

Who knows if there is anything else, hopefully nothing. But 4 in 6 weeks? "Houston we have a problem".

Neville Bruns' call for 12 months out of the game is starting to look increasingly less far fetched.

Andy forgiving Gaff publicly is hardly surprising, aside from the timing perhaps. It feels a little soon. I'd love to know his thoughts after a couple of beers though. I'd wager this is purely to cool tensions and try to move on. Crossing fingers, toes and everything in between this doesn't have serious long term physical or mental repercussions on AB.

It's been a very ugly chapter in the game's history. Made uglier still by the reaction to it by those in Gaff's camp.

Well based on the interview and the lack of any evidnce to the contraray I think you are on the wrong track. Frankly unless you have somethning concrete to back up your view I think you are very unwise to even be suggesting that this could have been the case.

Brawshaw states in the interview that he and Gaff had only been playing on one another for a few minutes before the incident and no other violence or altercations had occurred in that time. He did say that he was gassed and was doing his job to try and stay goal side of Gaff just before the incident but he had no forewarning that a hit of that level of violence was coming.

Like I said - total devil's advocate stuff

Are you on the same line of thinking as me (when I'm playing devil's advocate) that Andy said something - or did something - to Gaff to cause him to snap? And the "what is said on the field, stays on the field" code is being upheld by Gaff?

It's been concluded far quicker than I anticipated given what actually occurred, which as you say - seems there is more than meets the eye
Jeez and I thought I came up with some out-there stuff. Suddenly I am seeing potential signs of life in that horse. I like you a lot.

What has it got to do with anyone but Andy or his family or his peers and team mates, general consensus is Gaff is a decent human being that made a bad mistake
Well you might have the Eagle supporters think that he is a good guy.
But After watching Brayshaws interview when he was saying that there was no warning, no aggro at all before the indecent.
The replay shows it all he lined him up clear as day and ran off like nothing happened, probably thinking he would get away with it.
IMO, the only thing that Gaff did not mean was it to be so severe.
But every time something like this happens again the replay will be replayed, for ever reminding and showing people what a decent human being he is.

But After watching Brayshaws interview when he was saying that there was no warning, no aggro at all before the indecent.
The replay shows it all he lined him up clear as day and ran off like nothing happened, probably thinking he would get away with it.
But every time something like this happens again the replay will be replayed, for ever reminding and showing people what a decent human being he is.

Do you still bitch out our old players today from, Solomon to Dessie Headland, Kickett, assaulting public people like Johnson? Doubtful

Do you still bitch out our old players today from, Solomon to Dessie Headland, Kickett, assaulting public people like Johnson? Doubtful
Interesting that you mention those three. All three in game involved extensive provocation. And Johnson's was again under provocation. And no one has ever said they are Saints were worried their well being. Unlke St Gaff the Martyr

Why do we have so many WC flogs on here pretending to be Freo supporters lately?

i think i joined 7 years ago and haven't posted outside this forum, just asking the questions, and trust me no one would wan't to pretend to be a Freo supporter, Hawks maybe, Geelong maybe

I do agree with you I feel it is a shocking incident and one he will and has regretted... He should be rightfully suspended and fined as there was no provocation at all. Sledging is a part of the game so best just deal with it. But we do have to remind ourselves football is a tough sport and for me a great spectacle of manhood to see some great skills and physical play by some talented people. It was a cheap shot and he has held his hand up... If he misses the finals then he has himself to blame as he would also let the Eagles down.

phantom draft 2018 - Gaff, Bugg, Cameron, Toby Green all available, would you take any of them?

because we have to help support a sinking ship.
True. Liam Ryan. Integrity officer. Gaff. Olango. And that's just the last month. But who cares about culture and role modelling for kids? We know Nisbett certainly doesn't... Your supporters haven't learnt from last time when you were winning games but destroying lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone who knows or knew Gaff in person have stood up for him. Maybe they all have a point.

It does seem to be the commonly held opinion but people have often said that when someone does something unexpectedly violent or horrible. It does not excuse the act and nor does it need to be in any way suggested that Brayshaw somehow made him do it. The vision is pretty clear. A coulpe of soft bumps leads to a hit from Gaff on the right arm/shoulder of Brawyshaw. Brayshaw holds his ground and adopts an athletic position to enable him to move with Gaff whatever way he moves, Gaff squares up looks at him and swings hard with a haymaker from nowhere and trots off like its nothing.

I just don't buy that he could not have foreseen that he was going to hit AB in the face. This is a guy who can shoot out a very accurate handball in a split second or hit someone on the chest from 50m with a bullet kick. His reaction time is exceptional and his hand eye co-ordination is every bit as good. in my opinion he had sufficient time to weigh the possibility of hitting AB in the face and he could have:
  • Pulled the punch altogether.
  • Aimed lower to actually hit the arm/shoulder/chest he says he was aiming at
  • Open his hand to soften the blow.
  • Keep swinging with his fist closed and hit AB in the face.
He chose the latter which besmurches his good guy reputation forever and it worries me that this may be what actually bothers him the most.

I do agree with you I feel it is a shocking incident and one he will and has regretted... He should be rightfully suspended and fined as there was no provocation at all. Sledging is a part of the game so best just deal with it. But we do have to remind ourselves football is a tough sport and for me a great spectacle of manhood to see some great skills and physical play by some talented people. It was a cheap shot and he has held his hand up... If he misses the finals then he has himself to blame as he would also let the Eagles down.

Unless the comp goes until late mid october, he's missing the finals. We understand the implication of what has happened, but today almost a week from the game Andrew Brayshaw is eating food thru a straw.

The central issue for me is the act- the punch.

Unfortunately it has been muddied by -
  • Gaff being a "good bloke" and whether it matters.
  • Eagles being in finals and the outcome impacting their chances.
  • It being a Derby and the inherent dislike between supporters.
  • The age discrepancy between the 2 players.
  • Media performances of a few parties.
  • The Media's performance(personal biases and relationships)
  • etc etc

That different people can be putting forward a range of 3 to 12 weeks suspension for this action shows that nobody has any idea where the AFL stands on the issue of punches on the field, and how could they, the AFL doesn't know where it stands.

I agree with most of this article-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-...d-to-outright-ban-on-punching-in-afl/10088858

The AFL should use this as an opportunity to formulate a clear policy on punches and begin to lead on an issue that general society has already moved on(one punch attacks), amateur leagues have already moved on, and other codes have also moved on.

As the article above puts fwd, a good policy and the problem will all but disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back