News Lachie Neale to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you always have to look at the value, but if Neale leaves and we don't replace him with an equivalent or nearly equivalent midfield player we will be going backwards as a club next year. The Midfield is the most important area of the ground and we sure as heck rely on him now to break even and we have to stop being reliant on Mundy.

I want to be competitive next year and the club needs to be improving the list if I am going to part with the membership dollars again.

I wholeheartedly want Lach to stay and I think he will. However...

I assume if Brisbane want him badly, they've offered a bucketload of cash and really good job security. Lach is a smart bloke and would understand at the end of the day an extra million dollars (just estimating) over 5-6 years seriously could set him up for life. I reckon he'll stay, but if that's the case I'd want 4+22 or 4+ a good young player.

Do they have many W.A. players besides Starovich or whatever his name is?

Our CEO has been saying for ages we are in talks with a big fish. This could be it. Pick 5 will do it.

Jarrod Berry would be an exceptional get coupled with a nice pick

I'd do 4 & Berry for him. If they want that experienced midfielder to deal with the Beams loss then pay up. We need a player back at least, not a draftee to replace him.

Would be a terrible move.

Pick 4 is still a lottery and Lachie Neale is proven and still has six years of very good football left. Considering he's never been able to rely on speed or anything, he'll probably be a good player into his 30s as well.

Mature head, he's been really underrated lately, and like Barlow he's one of those guys who doesn't do the flashy things but he's a workhorse in the midfield and as soon as you take him out you notice it. He's the second string in those chains out of the ruck and that's invaluable. Fans seem to have softened on him in the last year or two but seriously, didn't he break the disposal record when we were s**t? He's a great player and a future captain.

Maybe the scariest part of this is a kid from country South Australia who has a Western Australian fiancé and can write his own checks at Freo forever, sees living in Brisbane and playing for the Lions as an upgrade. Fact is, Brisbane have way way more upside and potential than Freo do. And will be challenging for flags sooner.

Would be a terrible move.

Pick 4 is still a lottery and Lachie Neale is proven and still has six years of very good football left. Considering he's never been able to rely on speed or anything, he'll probably be a good player into his 30s as well.

Mature head, he's been really underrated lately, and like Barlow he's one of those guys who doesn't do the flashy things but he's a workhorse in the midfield and as soon as you take him out you notice it. He's the second string in those chains out of the ruck and that's invaluable. Fans seem to have softened on him in the last year or two but seriously, didn't he break the disposal record when we were s**t? He's a great player and a future captain.

Maybe the scariest part of this is a kid from country South Australia who has a Western Australian fiancé and can write his own checks at Freo forever, sees living in Brisbane and playing for the Lions as an upgrade. Fact is, Brisbane have way way more upside and potential than Freo do. And will be challenging for flags sooner.
Absolutely agree with everything you've said. But I imagine there would be a financial side to it as well.

Our CEO has been saying for ages we are in talks with a big fish. This could be it. Pick 5 will do it.

Lets not be silly. In no world is a single first round pick adequate for an AA Squad member and multiple (assuming there) B&F winner who is still contracted and a restricted FA at the end of next season. Lets not be those supporters.

On the other side while I acknowledge we would have to give up a bit if this all proves to be true (big if) Berry isn't going to be part of it. Future captain of the club right there.

I could live with it in one way. Neale Fyfe and Blakely is an excellent stoppage midfield but weak defensively. We are not going to have a totally dominant tap winning ruckman* in our next flag push: I think the team is better balanced with Brayshaw taking all of Neales minutes on the ball with Cerra and one of draft pick 4 or 6 being the first two players rotated in (ultimately pushing Blakely out onto rotating off HBF).

Is it worth the disruption to trying to build a strong sense of team, us against them etc. etc. Such a big part of the side leaving? Not sure it is.

*Darcy is simply not tall enough to be winning 70% of the taps every week. His ability to halve contests through strength and his second efforts will more than make up for it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so we're clear, this would absolutely heck us for the next 4 years. I dont think everyone on here realises how important he is to us as our second most important player behind Fyfe. He's also durable and in his prime.

If you are in the trade Lachie bucket your are basically conceding we wont compete for the next 5 years and have almost no chance of Fyfe going for a flag

4 and 5 in the draft is a hell of a lot of potential. What couldnt we do with that.
Love Lachie but the club would have to look seriously at it.

Are you serious ? A proven A grader for a ticket in the raffle albeit a good ticket would be stupid , Would take more than just the pick too get it done.

Absolutely agree with everything you've said. But I imagine there would be a financial side to it as well.
He's out of contract next year and you'd imagine, unless the club are complete idiots, you'd have started negotiations.

Mundy, Sandilands gone, Fyfe locked up. Who else really is there? He could be on $700,000 at the Dockers and we'd give him five years.

Brisbane aren't the rabble they were a few seasons back and they're turned around the off and on-field s**t show. They're probably going to let Beams leave but even then, they have to smart and realise all their 18-22 year olds who are going well will pretty soon be 21 and 25-year olds demanding 500 grand plus a year.

Surely the offers will be relatively similar?

The big difference is the the outside stuff... which coach he prefers, whether he'd like being a no one in Brisbane (I think he would), and who he sees as being the next successful side. Those elements are worth $200,000 to the right person.

Genuinely empathetic about the news. We have been getting pilfered in recent years and it's never a nice feeling seeing your more talented, or highly thought of players getting mentioned in potential trades.

Berry is untouchable though. Best mates with Hugh McCluggage and is one of our brightest prospects, with leadership in spades.

I agree we would have to give up more than just pick 4 though. More-likely to be a draft pick than one of our young players though I reckon.

Lets not be silly. In no world is a single first round pick adequate for an AA Squad member and multiple (assuming there) B&F winner who is still contracted and a restricted FA at the end of next season. Lets not be those supporters.

On the other side while I acknowledge we would have to give up a bit if this all proves to be true (big if) Berry isn't going to be part of it. Future captain of the club right there.

Good to see level-headed posts from opposition supporters on our board. As I've stated, I think we'll keep Lach (and I seriously hope so) but if the trade was to eventuate, what players would you suggest would get thrown up?

Good to see level-headed posts from opposition supporters on our board. As I've stated, I think we'll keep Lach (and I seriously hope so) but if the trade was to eventuate, what players would you suggest would get thrown up?
Brisbane are not in a position to be trading players from the B22, they are trying to finish it off. Any players included would be surplus to their requirements.

Alot to unpack here.

First of all it sounds like Brisbane are the ones approaching Neale not the other way around. It can be assumed then that they are offering a bucketload of cash.

Secondly, losing Neale would suck, big time for the short-medium term. Any game where Fyfe is injured or suspended you can put down to an almighty thrashing if Neale isn't also there. We would need a ready to go replacement midfielder.

Thirdly, if a trade were to happen, Brisbane would only be offering picks. The reason they're going after Neale is to complement and assist their young midfielders. They're not about to offer up Berry, Rayner, etc.

On these points, I can assume that a deal won't be completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back