Autopsy Cats lose to Demons by 29 points

Remove this Banner Ad

They were so slow my pvr is still recording. I feel embarrased for them, their skills are so poor. How long before the team hit rock bottom under Scott? It won't happen will it, they'll just be just until his tenure is expunged.

just got back from work
could not follow the whole match start to finish
think now something has to change before we become irrelevant as a force

just hope Melbourne can go all the way

I would trade Duncan for talent. Kolo out the door. There is No point hanging onto people who can’t play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can understand that after that performance I wouldn't trade duncan though. I don't think the return value is great maybe pick 15-20 I guess it all depends who you pick he in contracted until 2020.

Honestly not sure what has great value Thurlow, Menzel will probably not be on list.

I have no idea what you are doing with Smith, Henderson I assume you recontract one.

Tim Kelly is really the only attractive piece that gets you a first rounder. And I think clubs will be wondering what happens when he is higher up the food chain in the midfield spectrum. Can you pay this guy 600-700k without the knowledge of if he can handle a Tag.

Lots of list decisions

Murdoch, Mcarthy, Gregson from my understanding all not with deals.

I would keep gregson or rookie him. Mcarthy is touch and go his body let's him down. Murdoch I would flat out delist, GHS could go to the suns.

Probably keep kolo for lack of value elsewhere. Lots of decisions it irks me though because now we really don't have a nucleus to build around. The core is old now but simply it isnt good enough to win big finals anymore that's more the matter at hand. Its really more a blight on port adelaide than geelong being a quality finalist.

I can see us being in the mix again next year for bottom of the 7-8 range but it changes so quickly with this even league we could be a long way off the pace of certain teams improve you never know.

That's a Hogan and leverless Melbourne outfit.

Gws healthy
Syd are young
Collingwood healthy
Richmond
Melbourne
West coast

Essendon
Hawthorn
Adelaide
Geelong
Port
W.B
North

So it's really hard to gauge where will be

just got back from work
could not follow the whole match start to finish
think now something has to change before we become irrelevant as a force

just hope Melbourne can go all the way
Yep, quite happy for the Dees to go all the way but it is concerning, given how dreadful we were, we still had opportunities to get back into it several times. So not quite convinced by them yet but would like them to knock off the Hawks.

Last edited:
Unnacountable mids show in finals. That was an absolute disgrace. Mitch Duncan and Sam Menegola might be the two biggest cheats we have on our list. Shirk contests, stat padding, lazy.

I think it’s fair enough that Scott expects players to be professional and give their all, but it’s clearly not happening in my eyes. Get a motivator.

I would trade Duncan for talent. Kolo out the door. There is No point hanging onto people who can’t play.

No idea where you are coming from.

Kolo will never be a star but reliable when he is actually played in his best position. Been thrown everywhere and expected to perform.

Dunc is absolutely 1 of our best kicks.

Doesn't always connect but for me that is part of our dysfunctional mid/fwd line.

If we (Cats) accept that, who is next best on either line?

Totally agree. We almost beat the tigers when we played the attacking brand of footy. That’s when we play to our best. Our defence is good enough to hold its own. If Scott was brave enough, he wouldn’t play hendo, Kolo and Taylor together down back. Only 2 should had played and Henry moving back. We have no run and drive from half back in which to set up the play.

Basically the only way we looked like scoring was counterattacking on the break from half back. We couldn't win it in the contest smashed through the middle of the ground.

2e & Stewart usually Henderson looks half interested plus the fact we have minimum 15 players back of center for 90% of the game

Unnacountable mids show in finals. That was an absolute disgrace. Mitch Duncan and Sam Menegola might be the two biggest cheats we have on our list. Shirk contests, stat padding, lazy.

I think it’s fair enough that Scott expects players to be professional and give their all, but it’s clearly not happening in my eyes. Get a motivator.

I think it's fair to say the balance isnt right. We have 3 genuine ball winners who on any other team would be no.1 options. Selwood, Danger, Ablett then Kelly, Duncan just love getting it and running.

Perhaps a better ruckman would of unlocked this trio better.

But seriously Harmes, Viney, Brayshaw, Oliver just outworked, out tackled, out pressured the star names. Just general running power as well the two way efforts were a display.

I can't see this group getting any quicker or defending a hell of a lot better next year. It's the group of young players parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty and co need to come in and add that

nope - please refer to the tumbleweed-strewn MVP thread I started earlier.
thought I might be ridiculed for nominating Bews as our best, but I thought he gave it everything and played outta his skin for 3 quarters (was a bit quiet in the last - seemed to be up forward a lot??)
I can't find it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you play Bews in the Forward line if you were Chris Scott.. .

imo Bews was pretty solid in his usual defensive small role for three quarters.
stats won't reflect some of the good work he did in tough situations.

I actually thought I saw him up forward quite a bit in the last quarter; he didn't have a lot of impact but with a few breaks might have.

What I love about Bews is that he gets the absolute best out of himself as a player. Pays attention to detail.

Sorry to see you loose. Geelong are like my second team as I live in Geelong and the rest of my family go for Geelong.

My main vent is Scott has to go but I guess he cant now after re signing. He joined the club when they were a Royals Royce and now has them resembling a Kia that looks nice but has no guts when needed.

Scott in the presser post game clearly had a go at the recruiting team and especially Wellsy, but a bad tradesman blames his tools.

I feel for Selwood and Dangerfield that tried so hard tonight but couldnt lift the hole team. Your bottom 6 players were very poor tonight.

Hoping there is a purge and we see players like Charlie Constable get a go next year, but I cant see it happening with Selwood, Dangerfield and Ablett all in there prime and not getting younger. Wellsy is kind of forced to top up with ready to go players. But then you will have big Rat back next year to help Hawkins.

I'm sure trade week will be a surprise for you. I cant see too much money tied up in players outside your top 5 or 6 players.

Anyways the Tuesday Addy will be interesting to see the photos of the players at the Lord of Isles haha.

interesting what is next

will there be changes in our coaching staff?

will any proposed rule changes help us or affect the way we recruit
the club will have to do something to give us hope for 2019
something has to be done
goal less first quarters are going to make us a laughing stock

24 hitouts is a fine effort against Max when you are playing your 4th game. Thought his game was acceptable. Couldn't say that about too many.
O'Connor was good
Ablett played his role
Hawk was terrific
Sel worked his but off all day and made silly errors at bad times
Parfitt tried hard
Stewart was good
Harry played alright floating.
Kelly for three quarters was terrific
What goes on with the slipping over too. Bews in the goalsquare, Duncan a couple of times, Selwood. We need new boots.
I am silly optimistic at times but I can't agree with a fair few of these comments sorry.
Abbott provided very little no matter how many tap outs.
Stewart was quite ordinary, especially compared to his h&a season. Similar last year by memory.
Kelly was disappointing and failed to put his body on the line a few times.
Lucky you didn't mention Menegola or I might have answered in capitals!

Not many on the positive list though I agree on that. Selwood and possibly Bews and Hawkins? I'm reaching I know.

Are we rebuilding or are we going for flags?

Just felt we are in no mans land

I had to double check when I watched Scott’s post match to see if it was last years Final presser or this years, same crap 12 months later.

This is harsh but Ablett needs to play forward pocket and pinch hit in the mid field, the young class made him slow tonight, it’s a long season and he no longer has the tank over 22 games.

I think we have good kids but we need to make some hard decisions, stop pussy footing around I want to feel as though we have some direction.

No idea where you are coming from.

Kolo will never be a star but reliable when he is actually played in his best position. Been thrown everywhere and expected to perform.

Dunc is absolutely 1 of our best kicks.

Doesn't always connect but for me that is part of our dysfunctional mid/fwd line.

If we (Cats) accept that, who is next best on either line?

I’m quoting another poster just to highlight that am not alone in thinking that it might be time Mitch;
“Unnacountable mids show in finals. That was an absolute disgrace. Mitch Duncan and Sam Menegola might be the two biggest cheats we have on our list. Shirk contests, stat padding, lazy.”.

5 Bews
4 Stewart
3 Guthrie
2 Dangerfield for trying but efficient was crap
2 Ablett for trying
1 Abbott for trying
4 Stewart, 3 Guthrie, 2 Danger...no Joel. What on earth were you watching tonight? Serious Guthrie did nothing and I usually stick up for him.

Next year I'd like to see both Parfitt and Kelly as starting midfielders. They aren't forwards and we see the best of them in the midfield. Selwood to halfback to do a Hodge like role. He isn't 24 anymore and it's almost as if he can't accept his age. That slip would never be something we would have seen 5 years ago. Bashing and crashing packs for years has slowed him down and the midfield should be focused around the future.

Ideally I'd like to see our starting midfield something like this next year:

Duncan, Dangerfield, Narkle
Stanley, Kelly, Parfitt

I don't care if we lose games next year if it's clear the team is centered around these players youngish players.

Are we rebuilding or are we going for flags?

Just felt we are in no mans land

I had to double check when I watched Scott’s post match to see if it was last years Final presser or this years, same crap 12 months later.

This is harsh but Ablett needs to play forward pocket and pinch hit in the mid field, the young class made him slow tonight, it’s a long season and he no longer has the tank over 22 games.

I think we have good kids but we need to make some hard decisions, stop pussy footing around I want to feel as though we have some direction.
I'm scared for Geelong and the amount of mature age recruits coming in. I know with 18 teams now you have to source players unconventionally to get gems and wellsy has the runs on the board but if it does go pair shape it will go real quick! I know cos it happened to Essendon. Win a flag in 2000 & runner up 2001 then we loose some key players and we end up a basket case by 2006. The way Wellsy is going he will sign Goddard imo. I dont see what Dalhaus offers but hope to be proven wrong.
My main concern is your middle tier that have gone backwards or not improved with age.

Sorry for the loss tonight. Hope it's a turning point for Scott and the players to look at themselves. They need a 2006/7 leading teams circle moment again and a refocus. Speaking of leaders, who is the next successor as captain after Selwood?

Anyways I'm frustrated for you all. All the best.

What a huge distance we've fallen. Feels like this is the last nail in a coffin that's been tying to close for years now. We are a middle-of-the-road rabble. I can't help but feel like we could have been so much more than this. Who really knows why we can't perform in finals? It seems fairly enigmatic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back