News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong’s drive to continually land A-grade stars in the trade period is showing no signs of abating, with the Cats making a play for St Kilda gun Jack Steven.
Thanks a heap for posting goodie23.

It's a very good read and states the situation very well.......good one there by Sam McClure.

After reading that....and of course we don't know exactly everything...…..I'm not that concerned at all...…...I'll just settle back and have a relaxing evening.

Then the roof will probably cave in on me!

2nd Elimination Final

Collingwood v St.Kilda
George....your putting out some cracking games....great stuff !!!!!!

The 1972 Elim brought back a lot of memories and the above is also a cracking game.

I remember it so well as it started to hail as they played the National Anthem....and we beat the Pies by seven points from memory.

On the tv show the Choser I mean the Chaser has anyone ever gone top dollar and beat the Chaser? Also what would happen if all four contestants got knocked out???

Expect our game plan to change dramatically , Ratten and new coaches will change the team around and install a game plan to suite the players even if it means changing the line up of the team.

Don't be surprised that Steven plays as a forward as well as Coffield playing on a forward flank and Billings based on the wing.
Gresham and Acres as full time in the midfield.

I'm also expecting this year in the preseason they will try more combinations up forward , McCartin will have to earn his position and he will find it hard with a fit Bruce coming back in.

Another year of weights with Battle and Marshall they could easily be in the forward line as well proving to be bigger targets up forward.

One thing for sure they will make sure we have good disposal in the right positions - the only guy that worries me is Geary , Steven will be dynamic around goals and with Coffield , Gresham , Billings delivering the ball to the forwards it should look a lot better.

Our back line will be fine with Carlisle , Roberton , Webster , McKenzie , Austin , White and Geary- only as a lock down defender =
they can all mark (except Geary) , kick and rebound / I would love another swingman like Gilbert provided , this is why I would love to get Tomlinson.

But expect a far better year due to the added coaches - would love to get Harvey and Mitchell
...Geary can mark a footy, contested and all. Just rushes his kicks.

Milne Magic.

I'm so glad this was posted.

We've all seen his mecurial goals before, and they are amazing enough, but one of my favourite ever Milne moments was the 3rd clip from early on in his career. Against the Hawks, scores are level, Brett Voss kicks it into the forward line and Milne runs into a contest where he's outnumbered 3 to 1, takes a flying mark, outmarking the much taller Hawthorn Key Back (Trent Croad?), lands and wheels around on a single step, runs about 10 steps and kicks the goal, putting the Saints in the lead.

Simply brilliant - hard to do, committed and focused, an offensive machine.

I used to have that clip on my computer but somehow accidentally erased it and couldn't find it online for years. I could watch that every day of my life and never get bored of it. Thanks Milney!

We've all seen his mecurial goals before, and they are amazing enough, but one of my favourite ever Milne moments was the 3rd clip from early on in his career. Against the Hawks, scores are level, Brett Voss kicks it into the forward line and Milne runs into a contest where he's outnumbered 3 to 1, takes a flying mark, outmarking the much taller Hawthorn Key Back (Trent Croad?), lands and wheels around on a single step, runs about 10 steps and kicks the goal, putting the Saints in the lead.

I used to have that clip on my computer but somehow accidentally erased it and couldn't find it online for years. I could watch that every day of my life and never get bored of it. Thanks Milney!
Better than Betts!

GUN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol there MOLTEN...…….I suspect George has done a covert operation!!!!!

He's given us HEAPS of off season viewing/entertainment.

Kudos to George!
Ripper games too! My old man snuck into the '71 Prelim & again the following week.

But 1992 Elimination final v Collingwood is my favourite :thumbsu:

Might've been that game or the year before when Frawley & Shaw got stuck into each other before the bounce.

We really do hate the Pies...

1971 Preliminary Final
St.Kilda v Richmond

St.Kilda 16.12.108 defeated Richmond 12.6.78

I would have watched this game live on telly. We were back in Sydney. Some sadness as we really should have won the flag that year. Run over in the last quarter by bloody Bob Keddie.

We had some ropey kickers back then. Payze and Besanko particularly. Johnny Manzie had his dainty kicking style. Big Carl. What a player. Barry Lawrence.....a gun. And Ian Stewart playing for the oppo. Still grates, but I know the reason why. Allan Davis....tremendous player.

Great to see that side again.

Couple more

Round 3, 1993
St.Kilda v Sydney

St.Kilda 20.12.132 defeated Sydney 13.16.94

Round 22, 1994
St.Kilda v Sydney

St.Kilda 17.12.114 defeated Sydney 11.15.81

Round 23, 1994
St.Kilda v Collingwood

St.Kilda 14.6.90 defeated Collingwood 13.10.88

St.Kilda v Collingwood

Round 7, 1996

St.Kilda 18.10.118 defeated Collingwood 14.11.95

Stewart Loewe
12 marks, 7 goals, 5 points, and strong at every contest
If Loewe was still playing today Richo would need an oxygen mask in the coaches box, or boundary line, or wherever the hell he coaches from these days.

St.Kilda v Collingwood

Round 7, 1996

St.Kilda 18.10.118 defeated Collingwood 14.11.95

First game I ever saw was the Centenary game... ...but not this one, the one between the Bombers and the Cats; my Dons-supporting mate took me hoping to spark my interest in AFL enough to start properly supporting rather than just nominally choosing a team for when folks asked who I barracked for. They gave out plastic ponchos to wear printed with either the Essendon or Geelong centenary strip and it seemed like a huge celebration at the time.

It worked! My god, I'd never been in an atmosphere like that before, (First time inside a stadium of any kind) and I became addicted. Luckily I stayed true to my first choice and didn't sink down into the Land of the Sash.

Back to this game: what the hell made us take in Tony Francis and Damien Monkhorst from this mob a few years later? One of the lower periods of my life as saints fan rocking up each weekend to watch those spuds play for us.

Last edited:
Back to this game: what the hell made us take in Tony Francis and Damien Monkhorst from this mob a few years later? One of the lower periods of my life as saints fan rocking up each weekend to watch those spuds play for us.
Round 4, 1999 didn't change that at all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back