Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

No need for a solution, I love the tradition of the GF at the home of footy, leave it at the MCG in perpetuity.

Didn't affect us between 2001-03 playing the Dons and Pies on their home deck and when we did lose in 2004 it was against another interstate side.

The solution is that it should be at Optus Stadium

The problems are
Less money for the game (who cares, the game makes an absurd amount of revenue and is)

Unable to lock in entertainment (who cares, day is not about them, also black eyed peas lol)

Crowd (not ideal, but end of the day 200000 seat stadium wouldn't be enough most years. Also a generally Victorian problem - plenty in Perth can't afford thousands in flights etc to get across)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - in 1991 the thought of a Perth final in week 1-3 was sacriligeous and then they did it anyway and a few years later was pretty widely regarded as sensible and fair. Same will happen eventually with the grand final

Posted this last year. Still true.

I don't really see how this is an issue now, when West Coast and Adelaide of the 90s could win at the G, and Brisbane could in the 2000s.

All of a sudden its a massive ask? The crowd is relatively neutral (or has the opportunity to be), and whilst travel is a factor, the losing grand finalist in the past two years had had two out of four weeks off. Adelaide were even happy to head to the Gold Coast in this bye round, showing travel isn't a massive factor here.

So the remaining factor is the grounds dimensions - Time to learn to play them.

In defense of the non MCG tenants , I hope they are given a much greater opportunity to do so.

Posted this last year. Still true.
if it's no advantage at all, why not all finals at the MCG? big crowds 4 all

no one is saying it's not possible to win in melbourne, teams fly to perth/adelaide/sydney/brisbane and win too. but there is *some* advantage that has been unearned by Vic clubs for four consecutive years now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the West Coast Eagles winning both their finals and being the highest ranked team in the Grand Final next Saturday, they deserve a home Grand Final.

I can already hear the whining from a very strong Victorian contingent of people but it is the Australian Football League now. The VFL died in 1987.

Remove the bye and have 2 Grand Finals. This Saturday the highest ranked team hosts game 1, the penultimate game of the season and then the following week the final game of the season is played at the MCG.

That one extra game a year would pay for a national reserves competition or a national junior development program for 10 to 16 year olds. It would be a massive money spinner for the AFL.

So, is time for the AFL to seriously considering having a home and away Grand Final series?

I say yes.

I would prefer neutral ground personally.

As an example you can decide at the start of the finals a venue (ie Adelaide Oval) then prepare all the logistical needs around that date. One off is much better than two games IMO.

If this years finals was at AO Im sure it would sell out, and yes I am from Adelaide!

I don't care the GF is at the MCG but both Prelims should be played on the Saturday. It is criminal that West Coast who finished second after the H&A season have a day less recovery than the Pies on top of having to travel from Perth.

**** the TV Rights deal

Ugh it’s to give the highest ranked team (Richmond) the advantage if they win. Nothing to do with Collingwood.

No

It would take away from the event.

It sort of makes sense as it would bring more money to the game but I still don’t like the idea.

It would also delay things such as Trading & FA Period back and therefore the draft aswell.

Ugh it’s to give the highest ranked team (Richmond) the advantage if they win. Nothing to do with Collingwood.

It has everything to do with Collingwood as they won and received the advantage, not Richmond. As I said in my previous post, both Prelims should be played on the same day.

A lot of follow-on considerations. Are away points worth more? What if the margins are identical? How does the AFL go about organising two grand finals when the sides are only decided a week prior? Who hosts the first one? Does meatloaf play at both?

It has everything to do with Collingwood as they won and received the advantage, not Richmond. As I said in my previous post, both Prelims should be played on the same day.

How’s that Collingwood or AFL’s fault Richmond weren’t good enough? The AFL explicitly said the extra day was for team who finished top H&A.

Could we cope with a best of three premiership playoff ? Maybe shorten the season a little to compensate ?

Higher ranked finisher gets 2 home games ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back