Opinion Ranking the Rioli's (who have played AFL).

Remove this Banner Ad

People putting Daniel ahead of Dean, wtf? I hate everything about Essendon but even I find this ridiculous, Dean was a freak.
Which part of his game did you rate him to be a " Freak "
Was it his goal kicking ?
No individual honors apart from rising star nominee

Played 100 games and kicked 91 goals (less than a goal a game)
13 touches a game and less than 2 tackles

Daniel has played 139 games and has 99 goals but has now played 30 odd games as a defender
but his role has defined the Richmond game plan back in 2017 ( Dimma is on record stating that it was Rioli's ability to apply pressure that was fundamental to the game plan)

Gets moved back to HB and unlucky to miss AA , Will end up a 300 game player

Dean is light years ahead of Daniel on talent.
Daniel is light years ahead of Dean on staying fit and on the ground.

Hard to win honours when you're not able to stay consistently on ground, especially for your best years. Dean never played more than 18 games in a season through a period that Essendon was regularly playing at least 2 finals. In his last 3 seasons aged (roughly) 26, 27 and 28 he could only manage 13, 11 and 4 games. What should have been his best years. A sublime talent we didn't see nearly enough of. Not only did his injury and fitness issues impact his games played, it also impacted his time on ground later on and his impact. I rated him ball-in-hand ahead of Hird or Mercuri on impact.

That all said, someone putting Daniel ahead isn't unfair. A lot of Dean's injury woes were exacerbated by poor personal conditioning, especially early in his career. That has consequences. The premierships Daniel has are a bit of luck (as in, you have to be in the right team at the right time), but he's turned himself into a top quality, near AA level footballer. Albeit, in an easier role.

Cyril is certainly a great player but dont forget Maurice played 120 odd games with STh Fremantle before his VFL career where he carved it up when back in the day the wafl was in its heyday and a fantastic comp. Also his SOO career for WA was amazing. i saw him play for South Freo and he was untouchable. I reckon if those 120 WAFL games were converted into VFL he would be neck and neck with CYril.
Can only go by what I saw and we had Maurice in the VFL during his peak years. Cyril just had that special ‘something’ that could turn the entire momentum of a game.

Can only go by what I saw and we had Maurice in the VFL during his peak years. Cyril just had that special ‘something’ that could turn the entire momentum of a game.

Maurice was BOG in 3 consecutive Grand Finals( 2 x WAFL, 1 x losing VFL) runner-up in a Brownlow, dominated many high level State of Origin matches, and was simply one of the best handful of players around at his peak. He is the best of the Riolis overall.

Cyril was a superb player, clear second best and badly under-rated by many. No Rioli would be better than Cyril in the role Cyril played, possibly no player has ever been better in that type of role. It is so tough to rate this pair against each other fairly given the vastly differing roles. But Maurice has huge runs on the board.

If we are talking careers then Daniel is starting to build an extremely good resume with success in two different roles, and 3 flags. He is a clear step below the above two although Daniel himself is very under-rated by many. Courageous, skilful footballer who is very talented.

Junior has won a flag, and shown some great form when he has had a decent run at it. Hopefully he strings together a few good seasons for Port now. Terrific player anywhere near his best.

Maurice Minor looks another fantastic player in the making out of the Rioli barn. Very very early days for him, still a baby at 20yo. But has so far shown the classic Rioli traits of great chasing and tackling, some fantastic moments in big games and a love of the big stage. Looks the prototype of the modern small forward who can run through the midfield and despite some of his skills looking a bit rustic he could have a huge career at AFL level.

Dean I didn't see much of, but I did see enough of him to know he could play. His record speaks for itself though and the other 5 should be able to surpass that.

OK ill listen to your explanation on which area of their games he is " Light years ahead"

Is it Goal Kicking ?
Tackling ?
Marking ?
Defending ??
Pace ?
Agility ?
Reliability ?

Tell me exactly which part of his game and examples and numbers will help your case

Hard to win honours when you're not able to stay consistently on ground, especially for your best years. Dean never played more than 18 games in a season through a period that Essendon was regularly playing at least 2 finals. In his last 3 seasons aged (roughly) 26, 27 and 28 he could only manage 13, 11 and 4 games. What should have been his best years. A sublime talent we didn't see nearly enough of. Not only did his injury and fitness issues impact his games played, it also impacted his time on ground later on and his impact. I rated him ball-in-hand ahead of Hird or Mercuri on impact.

That all said, someone putting Daniel ahead isn't unfair. A lot of Dean's injury woes were exacerbated by poor personal conditioning, especially early in his career. That has consequences. The premierships Daniel has are a bit of luck (as in, you have to be in the right team at the right time), but he's turned himself into a top quality, near AA level footballer. Albeit, in an easier role.
Light years away on talent?

He’s got an unusual body type Dean Rioli, a heavy guy. A junior Rugby player as well as Aussie Rules
Very few as heavy as him could move like him.
Coaching Sen Women in the EDFL now, pretty good at it apparently.

1. Maurice snr
2. Cyril
3. Daniel
4. Dean
5. Junior ( formally Willie)
6. Maurice jnr
yep, for now, but Daniel might go past Cyril in a couple of years, one cup less, but transformation to elite rebounding defender puts Dan in a different class to the rest in terms of versatility

Cyril 'cost' himself possibly with early retirement

but as if any of them care

I've seen them all play and it's Cyril at the top for me. Possibly the most talented player I've ever seen.
Then Maurice
no argument there re. Dan vs Cyril on the second line, but most talented can't be the only factor in the rating?

as I said, need to rate Dan's full body of work, and if adds AAs as the best rebounding defender in the comp to 3 premierships as a small FWD....well there are hardly any in the game with such a resume...I can't think of one

yep, for now, but Daniel might go past Cyril in a couple of years, one cup less, but transformation to elite rebounding defender puts Dan in a different class to the rest in terms of versatility

Cyril 'cost' himself possibly with early retirement

but as if any of them care

OMG that is proper delusion, in no lifetime does Daniel ever go past Cyril. Daniel was a failed forward pocket player, couldn't get a kick and got dropped and has now reinvented himself to be an unaccountable half back flank, they are a dime a dozen in the league. Cyril (and Dean) had traits that can turn a game with one play, this cannot be categorised with stats but anyone with a basic understanding of footy who watched these players knows they just had 'it' Eddie Betts had 'it' Dusty has 'it' Daniel Rioli doesnt have it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Maurice snr
1.01. Cyril
3. Daniel
4. Dean
4. Junior ( formally Willie)
6. Maurice jnr, but looks like he could be very very good

Amazing to have so much incredible talent in one family. there are plenty of good Tiwi players, but that family is just of the charts.

I have Maurice ahead because he was my hero in my youth, and he played the most important role to an incredibly high standard. Quite possibly (likely) that Cyril was more talented and could turn games more. Super difficult to compare them and say one was better. But if you had to start with one Maurice would be it because he would instantly make the engine room top grade, after that everything is easier.

no argument there re. Dan vs Cyril on the second line, but most talented can't be the only factor in the rating?
Most talented
Most damaging
Most exciting
Most skilful
as I said, need to rate Dan's full body of work, and if adds AAs as the best rebounding defender in the comp to 3 premierships as a small FWD....well there are hardly any in the game with such a resume...I can't think of one
Cyril has won 4 flags, including a Norm.
He's comfortably above Dan in my book.

OMG that is proper delusion, in no lifetime does Daniel ever go past Cyril. Daniel was a failed forward pocket player, couldn't get a kick and got dropped and has now reinvented himself to be an unaccountable half back flank, they are a dime a dozen in the league. Cyril (and Dean) had traits that can turn a game with one play, this cannot be categorised with stats but anyone with a basic understanding of footy who watched these players knows they just had 'it' Eddie Betts had 'it' Dusty has 'it' Daniel Rioli doesnt have it.

It's a Richmond supporter, you should already know that they'll never accept an answer that isn't the Richmond player as the best.

Your first point is fine, Daniel has not gone past Cyril, who in my opinion is a clear level above him. But of course you are comparing Dan with an all timer here.

After that you have lost the plot. Dan was a fine small forward while still very young, from aged 19-23 in 3 Premierships. He sustained a shocking foot injury in the 2017 Grand Final that set him back a long way, he looked like being a genuine star before that. But to say he is a dime a dozen unaccountable half back flank is way wrong. He is a very damaging runner but that doesn't make him unaccountable, that is just silly. You only had to watch the committed exhausted chase he put on the fresh O'Brien of the Blues in Q4 of the Rd 1 drawn game without which Carlton win for certain.

Dan is no superstar, but he is a genuine 6-12 ranked footballer for any club and is pushing towards the upper end of that range. If he continues his now well established career trajectory he will have a tremendous career and sit comfortably in Richmond's history with the likes of Shane Edwards, Kevin Sheedy, Mervyn Keane, Jack Titus, Roger Dean, and quite a few others who had great careers for Richmond who would get picked in a Richmond Team of the Century but not an AFL TOTC.

I dont want to pot Dan who is a reasonable player and was probably BOG against Carlton round 1 and has a great start to the year however for that HBF role he would still be behind Daicos, Saad, Sinclair, Rich, Dale, McGrath and probably Blakey and people comparing him to some all time greats is ridiculous.

I've seen them all play and it's Cyril at the top for me. Possibly the most talented player I've ever seen.
Then Maurice
Fair enough,

Maybe I'm biased considering I'm a Richmond supporter and West Aussie, but God damn I loved watching Maurice Snr play for South Freo & Richmond.

Cyril is right up there as well.

Cant comment on maurice snr as i never saw him play, or any significant highlights...something for the to do list.

Of the 5 ive seen
1-cyril. Pure magic
2-deano. Of an era where elite fitness wasnt always mandatory and performed magic with skinfolds i probably present. Proof talent can take you places.
3-maurice jnr. Gone early, but this kid looks special. Tough, creative and has a super quick set of hands.
4-daniel. Has really come on as a league leader hbf since the position move
5- still quality despite being last on this list. Its a shame we were robbed of two years of his career for a stupid error of judgment.

Maurice was BOG in 3 consecutive Grand Finals( 2 x WAFL, 1 x losing VFL)
A small quibble, because Maurice was obviously a brilliant footballer, no disputing that. But there is no way Maurice Rioli was BOG in the 1982 Grand Final. Wayne Johnston was CLEARLY best on ground. Maybe not as pretty to watch, not as nimble, skilful and brilliant. But he was FAR more impactful on that game.

That was one of the more perplexing decisions ever by Norm Smith voters and was met with howls of derision when they announced Rioli as the recipient.

A small quibble, because Maurice was obviously a brilliant footballer, no disputing that. But there is no way Maurice Rioli was BOG in the 1982 Grand Final. Wayne Johnston was CLEARLY best on ground. Maybe not as pretty to watch, not as nimble, skilful and brilliant. But he was FAR more impactful on that game.

That was one of the more perplexing decisions ever by Norm Smith voters and was met with howls of derision when they announced Rioli as the recipient.

Regardless, Maurice played an excellent game and had a big impact. He was clearly a tremendous big game player. Long time since I have watched that match, but Maurice Senior was generally way ahead of his midfield contemporaries in the defensive aspects of the game, so if he was anywhere near them for disposals/goals he is likely to be ahead overall. We have basically seen that same thing in all of the Riolis, none more than Cyril. I cannot think of a previous era champion whose game would more readily transplant into the modern era than Maurice Riolis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back