Club Mgmt. Bombers look to extend pokies lease

Remove this Banner Ad

Gambling machines arent, but making money is a necessity for businesses to function.
The entirety of the AFL is propped up by profits from gambling and you could throw in alcohol as another big money maker prrvelant in australia and in particular the sports fan culture.

Both these realms provide our communities with addiction, violence and mental illness. But also money, monry that is then funnelled back into society, if its controlled by the "right" companies.

We can play the moral police all we like, i think everyone can and is doing that.
I question whether these same people and organisations will like the consequences of ripping things that arent illegal out of sports/clubs/businesses/communities too fast by threatening them with the public outrage stick because we dont like the look of something.
Are we ready for that type of change without breaking the foundations of businesses and communities? The club doesnt seem to think they are ready yet.

*note im straying dangerously close to, are these things wrong debate, which i dont want to have.*
Yep I get what you're saying and agree with the premise of a lot of it. Rather than ballooning the discussion out to the bigger picture ie; what the AFL is into, what else is a problem in the community but is legal I'd like to think we start by focusing on what the club can do to not be a part of the problem at the very least and I don't think that's trying to be the moral police by doing so. It all comes back to those core responsibilities of a footy club. I agree the club clearly isn't ready yet but I would like to think they'd be consciously moving toward it and not just paying lip service to it and I have seen nothing as of yet that leads me to believe it is just lip service. The extension just underlines that it's not as easy as snapping your fingers which I think we all recognise.

I reckon itll be good if all clubs sat down and asked them selves what they believe their core responsibilities are, and what their charter should be.

Maybe in the hustle and bustle and constant pressure of the AFL environment , it gets to a point where you cant see the forest for the trees.. you get so bogged down in profits and losses and bottom lines and money that you may forget what your actual responsibilities may be?

I reckon Collingwood nailed those 3 core pointers - to be elite at the sport, to help the community and to be the best they can be for the clubs fans. Reckon that's a good place to set the bar to begin with

I reckon itll be good if all clubs sat down and asked them selves what they believe their core responsibilities are, and what their charter should be.

Maybe in the hustle and bustle and constant pressure of the AFL environment , it gets to a point where you cant see the forest for the trees.. you get so bogged down in profits and losses and bottom lines and money that you may forget what your actual responsibilities may be?

I reckon Collingwood nailed those 3 core pointers - to be elite at the sport, to help the community and to be the best they can be for the clubs fans. Reckon that's a good place to set the bar to begin with
#2: to help the community.

That is where pokies money gets spent on our affiliate community sporting clubs.

Absolutely, they finish up chasing their losses, when I say its fairly easy, this year my average weekly tips has been just over 6, which of course also means I am getting about three wrong each week.
Assume you'd made a bet on every game, multiply those tips by the odds, and I guarantee you'd have lost money. The easy games to pick pay nothing.

Yep I get what you're saying and agree with the premise of a lot of it. Rather than ballooning the discussion out to the bigger picture ie; what the AFL is into, what else is a problem in the community but is legal I'd like to think we start by focusing on what the club can do to not be a part of the problem at the very least and I don't think that's trying to be the moral police by doing so. It all comes back to those core responsibilities of a footy club. I agree the club clearly isn't ready yet but I would like to think they'd be consciously moving toward it and not just paying lip service to it and I have seen nothing as of yet that leads me to believe it is just lip service. The extension just underlines that it's not as easy as snapping your fingers which I think we all recognise.
The first line of responsibility lies with the person playing the pokes not the club! If a person wants to gamble and play the pokes they will

The first line of responsibility lies with the person playing the pokes not the club! If a person wants to gamble and play the pokes they will

Pretty sure personal liability went the way of natural selection...

Have you seen the warning on your coffee cup? "Caution, contents may be hot"

Because of them we have a sign...for everything

#2: to help the community.

That is where pokies money gets spent on our affiliate community sporting clubs.
How much was your tongue poking into the side of your cheek when you said that?

Yes some money gets given to affiliate sporting clubs and the like, but the collective good that does is absolutely dwarfed by the damage all these addicts playing the slots and blowing their bank accounts does.

The exception that proves the rule. Bet on all the $4 outsiders and see how far you get.
Admittedly, the bookies puzzled me with that one. It was akin to the when ess would play the dees and the better team would always lose. I got on Melbourne at $11 once comfortable in the knowledge a loss was coming
I rarely bet.
Only ever when the odds are too good to ignore a pending essington

Yeah by all means it is up to the individual to take responsibility for their chooses just as I believe this club should be less lazy and find more productive sources of revenue and winning a premiership comes with prizemoney. If the EFC cannot find support among corporate Australia, than we have bigger problems than poor record keeping and losing to the Navy Wooden Spooners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the top responsibilities of a footy club is to show that 14 year old boy out there, who lives in a single mother household, what it is to be a man in Australia. How to work in a team, how to handle defeat, how to work hard, how to take responsibility and deal with pressure, how it is immoral to rip off the most vulnerable people in society to take a shortcut to a place where money is more important than people

One of the top responsibilities of a footy club is to show that 14 year old boy out there, who lives in a single mother household, what it is to be a man in Australia. How to work in a team, how to handle defeat, how to work hard, how to take responsibility and deal with pressure, how it is immoral to rip off the most vulnerable people in society to take a shortcut to a place where money is more important than people
I know that kid. His mum just lost her job as a gaming attendant, times are tough.

I know that kid. His mum just lost her job as a gaming attendant, times are tough.
So the club should start an employment drive to employ mums as gaming attendants?
She might not have had to work that extra job if dad didnt gamble away the grocery money. Either way, at least the owner of the pokie machine is raking it in right

So the club should start an employment drive to employ mums as gaming attendants?
She might not have had to work that extra job if dad didnt gamble away the grocery money. Either way, at least the owner of the pokie machine is raking it in right
Dad actually won the jackpot and is living it up now. They can't even claim any of his winnings for child support.

Essendon Football Club’s $164m bid to extend Melton Country Club pokies lease
ESSENDON will reap $164 million from struggling punters in Melbourne’s west under a new mega pokies plan.

The football club wants a new 29-year lease on the Melton Country Club, where it has 90 machines.

But Melton council, which owns the building, is divided on the lease extension and has called on residents to tell them if they want it returned to public space before a submission deadline on October 24.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/v...e/news-story/a3aa809b15335fe87be186736daf4771

Pokies going to exist either way. May as well be Essendon making money from them than companies like Woolworths. Who are the biggest pokie owners in the country.

Pokies going to exist either way. May as well be Essendon making money from them than companies like Woolworths. Who are the biggest pokie owners in the country.

I would rather the EFC go to Woolworths and form a relationship which brings in the $164m rather than the lazy route of hosting a pokies venue.

This is where opportunity cost comes into it, the club by taking the lazy approach to finding revenue might be pleased with that $164 million, but how many memberships has it cost the club because people have lost their money on the pokies instead of buying a membership. It could well be the difference between 70000 members and 80000 or more members.

They can still lease the venue and continue with their longer term plan to phase out the machines. It is crazy to think they can just cut and run and secondly the club does not actually reap $164 million. The last few years the profits to the club have been in the $2 million to $3 million a year. The $164 is lazy / sensational reporting.

I think it's absolutely disgusting that the club is willing to profit by essentially stealing from its members via pokies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back