Player Watch Jack Madgen (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

For god's sake the guy has played a handful of games.
Can we keep the criticism a bit civil.
Considering where he has come from, how long he has been in the system, and what he is being asked to do he has been fine.
Perspective people.

Ah, perspective. You’re asking a lot from a limited audience.

Some of you people are simply unFKINbelievable.

He's far from ideal, but he's doing his level best in an incredibly difficult situation and is part of an undersized and youthful backline that has held our sh!t together long enough to get a double chance.

A tyro with a handful of games thrown to the wolves and practically no senior height and experience around him yet you tear into him like dingo's.

PFFFTTT.

Madge may still get a chance to play an AFL final this year, but in any case I hope he hasn't lost any heart for being dropped this week. I've seen him do some fantastic work at VFL level, I'm sure he'll build on it.

Madge may still get a chance to play an AFL final this year, but in any case I hope he hasn't lost any heart for being dropped this week. I've seen him do some fantastic work at VFL level, I'm sure he'll build on it.

Last week at the VFL it surprised me how vocal he is and how much he attempts to organise the backline set up.

He told Apples and Goldy off at one stage. I actually liked it to be honest.

He is a third defender atm people shouldn't lose sight of that fact.

Last week at the VFL it surprised me how vocal he is and how much he attempts to organise the backline set up.

He told Apples and Goldy off at one stage. I actually liked it to be honest.

He is a third defender atm people shouldn't lose sight of that fact.

I love the Sack, but he does seem to mind his own business quite a bit, and you're right that Madge might have a bit more voice.

I do wonder whether his experience against Buddy knocked him a bit, confidence wise. He didn't impact enough contests against Essendon last week, and maybe there were too many times when he was in two minds about what he should do.

I love the Sack, but he does seem to mind his own business quite a bit, and you're right that Madge might have a bit more voice.

I do wonder whether his experience against Buddy knocked him a bit, confidence wise. He didn't impact enough contests against Essendon last week, and maybe there were too many times when he was in two minds about what he should do.

He seems like a level headed young man. I will try and find the article in which he talks about the Buddy experience and the sledge he copped from him....actually quite funny.

I cant judge our VFL team and in turn our defense on last weeks finals performance...…..it was not the norm on what we had produced during the year IMO.

Magden, Murphy have been thrown to the wolves when clearly not ready because of injuries to the front line. They have held up admirably against remarkable odds, a credit to club and jumper.

Personally I've seen very good signs from both to suggest they can have bright, long futures in the side down the track and they are giving their all right now in spite of their inexperience. Sure, there have been some errors, clangers and inexperienced positioning etc but, that must be expected of players with so little time at the club and in the game.

Their endeavor, desperation, courage and willingness to learn whilst putting their bodies on the line should be acknowledged and applauded. Those calling them duds and potting them for not being up to it should hand their heads in shame. As their careers are shaped in seasons to come they will look back at these games as defining moments, as will we all.

Well said. Madgen in particular. To get stuck minding Buddy in your debut game as a Cat B rookie is an enormous ask but he stuck to it manfully. The only comparisons I can think of are Keath and Blicavs and he stacks up really well relative to them in their debut seasons.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=6557&pid2=3623&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2017

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=6557&pid2=3748&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2013

Murphy showed the same poise and bravery on debut as we've seen through much of his VFL season. Kid will be a ripper.

Hopefully big summers in the gym and 2019 see them continue to blossom if they're not selected over the next few weeks.

JB1975 found the article.

"Aware his career as a shooting guard wasn’t about to take off, he wondered if he could follow the journey of basketball converts Hugh Greenwood and Corey Maynard, brother of current teammate Brayden.

The connection was made through uncle and Pies recruiter Matt Rendell, the category B rookie fast-tracked into the AFL system then thrust into the team as key defenders tumbled.

The 192cm, 92kg defender was quickly thrown onto Franklin as Darcy Moore’s hamstring gave way again, Madgen deciding to swim rather than sink in footy’s deep end.

“When I went up to him, he said something along those lines — you should stick to basketball. I have heard that 1000 times this year. I thought, ‘Gee, I wouldn’t have thought he would know who I was’,’’ he said.

“But he is the ultimate professional and it was a great experience.

“You never want your teammates to get hurt so it’s been very bittersweet. Your heart goes out to people like Lynden Dunn who hasn’t played in a final and has put all the work in.

“But it’s about the opportunity. Always be ready and if you do the work in preparation for when your number is called you know you have deserved it and have done everything you can.”

Madgen says all Pies are rated on how they fulfil their role, the emerging defender happy with two of his games and less so about the other two.

72c382927b2f3313160bd6ccb6c4f398

Madgen in action against Fremantle. If he again plays in the west, the Pie’s fifth AFL match will be a qualifying final. Pic: Getty Images

With Jeremy Howe likely to slot back into the team he should still hold down the other defensive post, but admits he is no guarantee to play.

Madgen knows the trials and tribulations of professional sport, with brother Ben a European professional basketballer and Tess a former Australian Opal and WNBA representative.

When he battles to make an impact partner Heidi Nichols lends emotional support, the pair meeting in his four years at Delta State University, Mississippi.

“I made lifelong friends there and met my partner, so I couldn’t have asked for anything better,” Madgen said.

“Her dad has been in the military for Heidi’s whole life.

“They lived in Germany for a bit, he has done a bunch of tours in the Middle East.

“She has lived in South Carolina, Kentucky, New Jersey, so travel was a bit easier for her.

“She has been a huge help keeping me level headed. I play a game and think I have been bad and she says, ‘You played great, you were running lots’.

“She is so positive and I am really thankful in that regard.”

"Aware his career as a shooting guard wasn’t about to take off, he wondered if he could follow the journey of basketball converts Hugh Greenwood and Corey Maynard, brother of current teammate Brayden.

The connection was made through uncle and Pies recruiter Matt Rendell, the category B rookie fast-tracked into the AFL system then thrust into the team as key defenders tumbled.

The 192cm, 92kg defender was quickly thrown onto Franklin as Darcy Moore’s hamstring gave way again, Madgen deciding to swim rather than sink in footy’s deep end.

“When I went up to him, he said something along those lines — you should stick to basketball. I have heard that 1000 times this year. I thought, ‘Gee, I wouldn’t have thought he would know who I was’,’’ he said.

“You never want your teammates to get hurt so it’s been very bittersweet. Your heart goes out to people like Lynden Dunn who hasn’t played in a final and has put all the work in.

“But it’s about the opportunity. Always be ready and if you do the work in preparation for when your number is called you know you have deserved it and have done everything you can.”

Madgen says all Pies are rated on how they fulfil their role, the emerging defender happy with two of his games and less so about the other two.

Madgen in action against Fremantle. If he again plays in the west, the Pie’s fifth AFL match will be a qualifying final. Pic: Getty Images

With Jeremy Howe likely to slot back into the team he should still hold down the other defensive post, but admits he is no guarantee to play.

Madgen knows the trials and tribulations of professional sport, with brother Ben a European professional basketballer and Tess a former Australian Opal and WNBA representative.

When he battles to make an impact partner Heidi Nichols lends emotional support, the pair meeting in his four years at Delta State University, Mississippi.

“I made lifelong friends there and met my partner, so I couldn’t have asked for anything better,” Madgen said.

“They lived in Germany for a bit, he has done a bunch of tours in the Middle East.

“She has lived in South Carolina, Kentucky, New Jersey, so travel was a bit easier for her.

“She has been a huge help keeping me level headed. I play a game and think I have been bad and she says, ‘You played great, you were running lots’.

I like how he managed to interpret Bud's sledge as a compliment. Shows some character.

This rookie draft could go down of one of Hine's finest. Seems to be a return to the glory days when we picked up long term players like Blair, Wellingham, O'Brien etc as rookies.

Even if they don't all go on to have long careers to pick up Mihocek, Madgen and Appleby who have all played senior footy and provided invaluable depth is a great result.

This rookie draft could go down of one of Hine's finest. Seems to be a return to the glory days when we picked up long term players like Blair, Wellingham, O'Brien etc as rookies.

Even if they don't all go on to have long careers to pick up Mihocek, Madgen and Appleby who have all played senior footy and provided invaluable depth is a great result.

Technically Madgen is Cat B player...…...but I agree Hine & Co have done very well.

Good one.

Also folks see how he talks about Dunn?

They love the big dunny- he’s been such a great get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Madgen, Oxley and Murphy should all hold their heads high given their efforts in the backline under high pressure and very difficult circumstances (lack of height and experience around them) helped thd Pies secure third spot on the ladder and a valuable second chance, which hopefully we won't need.
Well done to all of them.

Good one.

Also folks see how he talks about Dunn?

They love the big dunny- he’s been such a great get.

A bit O/T but Dunny is also great with the supporters. Coxy rightly got kudos for taking a little kid aside at training and having a kick - I have seen Dunn do the same when I have been at training.

I thought he did ok. He looked a bit undersized and underskilled against buddy but I was surprised a few times with his ball handling under pressure and his general attitude. But in the end, I'm not sure he'll be back. Maybe he can wear high heels...

Hmmmm, makes the Brody Mihocek selection look a little strange. They'd have known they had this kid signed so you have to wonder why they wouldn't have looked at some KPP depth for the other end and taken a punt on McLean, Kreuger or Collins. I know Mihocek has played forward but it is not what he's known for.

Always good to welcome a Jack to the list.

Mihocek played a lot forward as well.
At the end of the day, it's their physical size that matters.
Which end of the ground they've played in juniors doesn't really matter I would have thought.

Jackcass 0. Wicksy 1.

I like the look of Madgen and think he has plenty to work with, has come a long way in a short time already. Hope we persevere

Anyone know if he can stay as a Cat B rookie when we've picked up the 2 irishmen?
I think that will be the limiting factor on whether he gets another go around. I would like to think he's done enough to get an upgrade to a general rookie spot - but not sure if the club will see it that way with limited list positions - and he definitely won't be promoted to the main list.

Still waiting for the club to announce delistings.

Anyone know if he can stay as a Cat B rookie when we've picked up the 2 irishmen?
I think that will be the limiting factor on whether he gets another go around. I would like to think he's done enough to get an upgrade to a general rookie spot - but not sure if the club will see it that way with limited list positions - and he definitely won't be promoted to the main list.

Still waiting for the club to announce delistings.
There shouldn't be any problem at all with him staying as a Cat. B Rookie. We don't need to move him to a Cat. A Rookie spot. List spots are very tight (as you've said), so no chance of that happening. The rules dictate that one of the two Irish recruits will be a Cat. A Rookie (only one can be a Cat. B Rookie). It would be surprising if he's not on our list for next season, though it also seems strange that he hasn't been re-signed. None of this should be a problem, because Scharenberg won't be a chance of being available early next year, so if necessary Madgen could be elevated to replace the LTI player.

Dunn was originally a pick 15 so always had the ability.

The thing is we don't know where Madgen might have ended up in a draft scenario if he focused on footy instead of basketball during his junior days. If he can get anywhere near Dunn he'll be doing okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back