List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of puts to bed the notion one of them would be a Cat A rookie wouldn't it? If one was a Cat A, they'd still have to be picked up in the rookie draft surely.
Not at all. You can recruit a couple of Irish players outside of the draft but only one can be a Category B Rookie; a second Irish player must be a Category A Rookie. You don't have to pick that second Irishman up in the draft as such, you simply name him on your list.

I had it confirmed from the AFL's Ken Wood very recently that the rule regarding having more than one Irish rookie has not changed.

Here we go, here come the comments about how he's probably not going to be good enough.

Predictable.
Not as predictable as Bored Pie having an intolerant response to someone who doesn't agree with what he has to say. Almost predictable and boring enough for me to change my name to Bored Pie II.

Yep, some posters are glass half full at times. Not the way that I want to walk through life personally but that is where they come from. You have to understand that it is a forum for those who follow Collingwood to express their views and opinions though - even when they don't conform to your own. That diversity of opinion, forum for debate and ability to glean more information about our club are why we frequent BF and similar sites. Try and accept it for what it is and also try and offer your counter views in a more respectful way.

Not at all. You can recruit a couple of Irish players outside of the draft but only one can be a Category B Rookie; a second Irish player must be a Category A Rookie. You don't have to pick that second Irishman up in the draft as such, you simply name him on your list.

I had it confirmed from the AFL's Ken Wood very recently that the rule regarding having more than one Irish rookie has not changed.
Oh... So they just get named as Cat A, and that's it?

So whoever is Cat A could potentially just get selected and play next year, no need to upgrade to senior list like what happened to Madgen?

Oh... So they just get named as Cat A, and that's it?

So whoever is Cat A could potentially just get selected and play next year, no need to upgrade to senior list like what happened to Madgen?
Yes, for sure. St Kilda recruited two Irish players at the same time a couple of years back. They both would have just been put onto the list (1xCat. B & 1xCat. A).

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...unt-on-luck-of-the-irish-20160728-gqg5sr.html

St Kilda has added two new Irish rookies to its international stable in the club's latest step towards growing its talent base outside of the AFL draft.

The Saints have signed teenaged hurling star Darragh Joyce and 22-year-old Ray Connellan, a member of 2015 International Rules squad, with both young Irishman to relocate to Melbourne as early as next month.

Under an AFL agreement with the Gaelic Athletic Association clubs are only allowed one Irish player on their international (category B) rookie list which dictates that the older player Connellan is likely to come to the Saints as a category A rookie.
=====================================================================
Here's the section in the current AFL rules that covers this:
10. Rookie List Players
10.1 Rookie List – Establishment and Number
(a) Each Club must maintain a Rookie List up to a maximum number of Category A Rookie Players and Category B Rookie Players as detailed in Appendix 1.
(b) In addition to maintaining the maximum number of allowable Category A Rookie Players on their Rookie List under Rule 10.1, each Club may include a maximum of three (3) extra Players on its Category B Rookie List provided those Players are:
(i) former International Scholarship List Players at that Club who have been nominated under Rule 13.5 or 13.8;
(ii) former Club Academy players at that Club who have been nominated under Rule 14.4;
(iii) International Players with the exception of Players who, subject to Rule 10.1(c), are Irish citizens or who have, in the opinion of the AFL, lived for a substantial period of time in Ireland prior to inclusion on the Rookie List;
(iv) Players who have not been registered or played in an Australian football competition for 3 years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
(v) a Qualified NGA Player of the Club who has been nominated in accordance with Rule 15.8(c).
(c) Notwithstanding Rule 10.1(b)(iii), a Club may include one Irish citizen or Player who has, in the opinion of the AFL, lived for a substantial period of time in Ireland prior to inclusion on the Rookie List on its Rookie List in accordance with Rule 10.1(b).

Kind of puts to bed the notion one of them would be a Cat A rookie wouldn't it? If one was a Cat A, they'd still have to be picked up in the rookie draft surely.
No. International rookies can be signed outside the national draft regardless of whether they’re cat A or B.

Does he offer much that Maynard or Crisp doesn't as a smaller defender?
He won’t be competing with them, he’ll be competing with Murphy, Appleby, Greenwood, Aish and Murray* for a spot.

He won’t be competing with them, he’ll be competing with Murphy, Appleby, Greenwood, Aish and Murray* for a spot.
Not sure about Murphy competing with Quaynor. At this rate he’s going to be competing for a 3rd tall/KPD role the way he’s growing.

Not sure about Murphy competing with Quaynor. At this rate he’s going to be competing for a 3rd tall/KPD role the way he’s growing.
Correct, last I heard he was taller than Jackson Paine.

Whilst Murphy could play as a third tall/KPD I think he’ll also be competing with the likes of Quaynor for the last couple of backline spots.

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the kind words. Did you go up to them and say hello?
Certainly did.
Had to check out a couple of things that they were arriving into the country with.
They're pretty excited about being here.
We just told them to work hard, keep their noses out of trouble and they'd be set for life.
They were pretty keen on talking about the Irish hurling championship game that was on this morning. Like I said, very polite guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly did.
Had to check out a couple of things that they were arriving into the country with.
They're pretty excited about being here.
We just told them to work hard, keep their noses out of trouble and they'd be set for life.
They were pretty keen on talking about the Irish hurling championship game that was on this morning. Like I said, very polite guys.
Bucks' NDH policy in full swing it seems.

For my thinking, Moore gets added as another key defender to take Aish's spot.
Dunn takes Goldsack.
Appleby is in that small lock-down defender role, like Quaynor, but isn't in the team with permanence.
Not sure what Greenwood's role is if he isn't shutting down a mid. He's not a great 1-on-1 defender and isn't a forward either. Does he have a spot with Beams in the team?
Murphy is competing with Langdon, Sharenberg, Goldsack and Howe for that 3rd tall-type role.

Dunn and Moore as KPP's
Langdon, Howe as preferred 3rd & 4th intercepting talls
Crisp and Maynard as smaller, running backs
Shaz, Aish, Appleby, Murphy, Quaynor in the mix as part of the rotation and depends upon the opposition.

Quaynor might be a better fit in time than Aish for such a role given superior leg-speed.
Maynard probably first choice for an Eddie Betts-type defensive-focussed challenge

For my thinking, Moore gets added as another key defender to take Aish's spot.
Dunn takes Goldsack.
Appleby is in that small lock-down defender role, like Quaynor, but isn't in the team with permanence.
Not sure what Greenwood's role is if he isn't shutting down a mid. He's not a great 1-on-1 defender and isn't a forward either. Does he have a spot with Beams in the team?
Murphy is competing with Langdon, Sharenberg, Goldsack and Howe for that 3rd tall-type role.

Dunn and Moore as KPP's
Langdon, Howe as preferred 3rd & 4th intercepting talls
Crisp and Maynard as smaller, running backs
Shaz, Aish, Appleby, Murphy, Quaynor in the mix as part of the rotation and depends upon the opposition.

Quaynor might be a better fit in time than Aish for such a role given superior leg-speed.
Maynard probably first choice for an Eddie Betts-type defensive-focussed challenge

One that isn't getting mentioned much in terms of our D50 options is Tyler Brown. With another preseason under his belt I expect him to be pushing his claims for a spot in 2019.

I'd also expect Aish to move back to a midfield role. He's a bit wasted in defence.

One that isn't getting mentioned much in terms of our D50 options is Tyler Brown. With another preseason under his belt I expect him to be pushing his claims for a spot in 2019.

I'd also expect Aish to move back to a midfield role. He's a bit wasted in defence.
Tyler Brown is exceptionally raw. If it's 2019 it'll be late 2019.

Tyler Brown is exceptionally raw. If it's 2019 it'll be late 2019.

It was purely about his physique this year. He's the only bloke on our list less physically intimidating than Stephenson. I'm hopeful he'll weigh in at around 80kg's after this preseason and that'd have him in the ball park. Daicos and Cal Brown and even Stephenson were no less "raw" than Tyler and all 3 got opportunities in their 1st year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back