Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got a 1 year deal, that was unders. The $ value of his contract has not been reported. But let's face it, after he was kicked out of Carlton he was always going to be paid unders. Can you suggest a number?
No I can’t but I think you hit the nail on the head with he was kicked out of Carlton. The fact he got another contract after Carlton is overs. With his history rolling one year contracts should be it until he’s done. The club likes to keep him under the pump and for good reason. I feel like if any complacency keeps in he could do monumental damage to the culture

No I can’t but I think you hit the nail on the head with he was kicked out of Carlton. The fact he got another contract after Carlton is overs. With his history rolling one year contracts should be it until he’s done. The club likes to keep him under the pump and for good reason. I feel like if any complacency keeps in he could do monumental damage to the culture
That's a fair call Billy. You've won me over.
What irked me was, even though he has shown himself to be reformed, he will always pay the price for his passed misdeeds. I'm far from a Bible basher, but the situation of always paying a price is not in line with forgiveness imo. I was shocked when Martin Pike revealed he never received a pay rise at Brisbane & was always on a 150K base. However, you have rightfully pointed out, any contract was overs. I suppose I need to let go of my idealism. Thanks Billy.

That's a fair call Billy. You've won me over.
What irked me was, even though he has shown himself to be reformed, he will always pay the price for his passed misdeeds. I'm far from a Bible basher, but the situation of always paying a price is not in line with forgiveness imo. I was shocked when Martin Pike revealed he never received a pay rise at Brisbane & was always on a 150K base. However, you have rightfully pointed out, any contract was overs. I suppose I need to let go of my idealism. Thanks Billy.
No dramas mate.

See you don’t need to shout someone down to get through to them folks. Take a lesson from billys play book

There is enough crap around here about Mitch to fill volumes. I recall that there were heaps of baggers before he actually joined us.

But to suggest that there is any element of complacency about his performances here is quite honestly ridiculous. Week after week I can remember him as being the standout, and often the sole standout, especially when we were getting hammered. Put it this way, he seldom leaves anything out there.

I agree he'll never make Captain material. Who cares?

If you want damage to "the culture" you might look to others, way better paid by all accounts, who choose to put in the occasional 100% effort when the acid is applied. I can think of more than one. In fact, very recently our Coach has named one.

If you want damage to "the culture" you might look to others, way better paid by all accounts, who choose to put in the occasional 100% effort when the acid is applied. I can think of more than one. In fact, very recently our Coach has named one.

Who got named?

There is enough crap around here about Mitch to fill volumes. I recall that there were heaps of baggers before he actually joined us.

But to suggest that there is any element of complacency about his performances here is quite honestly ridiculous. Week after week I can remember him as being the standout, and often the sole standout, especially when we were getting hammered. Put it this way, he seldom leaves anything out there.

I agree he'll never make Captain material. Who cares?

I think you missed what I was saying mate. I'm saying which the club is on record as saying that he is the type of guy who NEEDS to be kept under the pump. If complacency creeps in then he will cause damage to our culture. As evident by his final years at Carlton. I never once said that there is any complacency in his performances for us.

I am happy with Robbo's contributions to the club. I do feel the outside perception of him compared to the inside perception are at large parallels but I am more than happy to have him contributing to our team.

Mate, I generally enjoy your posting, but sometimes you say some stupid things - and this one takes the cake. Borderline offensive, actually.

I would bet you would not have the balls to tell him that to his face.

We gave Mitch a lifeline when he was ousted from the Blues and he has since turned his life around. Complacency is the last thing I'd be concerned about

Absolutely agree. The first contract with us was two years (15/16) and if he was a risk to culture his tenure would have ended then. Instead he got another two years. During this period we got rid of Hanley and rockcliff so the club has no hesitation at moving culture problems on and Mitch isn’t one of them.

Many many young men make mistakes and learn from them and there hasn’t been a whisper of rumour that mitch is anything other than a hardworking family man. Who likes video games and is quite likely still a bit hyperactive. Which is great when you are a dad with active young children that he clearly has an involved relationship with (chase at training).

Mitch isn’t an elite skills player, and he is going to be overtaken sooner rather than later but the young ones who have less clangers. His game strength is bash and crash which comes with a high wear out/injury rate and is likely to rule him out sooner rather than later. Both of those reasons mean the club as a business should only offer him year to year contracts. It doesn’t mean they see him as a problem.

Robinson was delisted by Carlton — he knew his fate (2/9/2014) a month after he lied to the Carlton..not telling them about his fractured eye socket was the result of a 5am city brawl that also involved teammate Jeff Garlett.

Seems Carlton with its connections to the underworld weren't appreciative with the "Law of Omerta".

Trio who bashed ex-Carlton players Jeffrey Garlett, Mitch Robinson in CBD brawl set to avoid jail
Wayne Flower, Herald Sun
January 6, 2015 6:19pm
A GROUP of angry thugs who bashed former Carlton footballers Jeffrey Garlett and Mitch Robinson after a dispute over a taxi are likely to avoid jail.

Garlett was knocked unconscious in the wild brawl while Robinson suffered a fractured eye socket.

Gartlett was later charged with affray alongside brother Gerald and mate Matthew Johns, who were both injured in the brawl.

Both footballers were later traded under a cloud by the Blues, with Garlett moving to Melbourne and Robinson to Brisbane.

Liep Kuel, 27, today pleaded guilty to nine charges, including recklessly causing injury to Gartlett.

His mates, Emmanuel Golong, 27, and Abram Hothnyang, 23, both pleaded guilty to recklessly causing injury to Robinson.

All three will be assessed for a Community Corrections Order on Wednesday, which will keep them out of jail if found suitable.

Magistrate Franz Holzer indicated he would convict each of the men of the assault charges.

Mr Kuel also pleaded guilty to a string of driving offences after fleeing the brawl with his mates.

The court heard the incident happened about 5am on Lonsdale St in Melbourne’s CBD on August 3 last year after Gartlett allegedly tried to jump in a taxi occupied by two female friends of the group.

A verbal argument quickly escalated to violence, with Mr Kuel knocking out Gartlett from behind with a plastic traffic bollard.

Gartlett remained unconscious for several minutes and later needed four stitches to his head.

Robinson was not so lucky.

The court heard he was king-hit by Mr Hothnyang from behind, who along with Mr Golong delivered a savage beating to the stunned footballer as he knelt on the ground.

Robinson managed to get to his feet and was chased down the street before escaping.

The incident was captured on CCTV cameras, but was not released by the court to the media because it failed to capture the brawl in its entirety.

A fourth man, Samuel Gai, indicated he would contest the charges when his matter returns to court on January 20.
[

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/l...l/news-story/86490d060facfec28fd1bafa5b7e64fe

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, I generally enjoy your posting, but sometimes you say some stupid things - and this one takes the cake. Borderline offensive, actually.

I would bet you would not have the balls to tell him that to his face.
Yeah I would actually because what’s he gonna do? Punch me in the face and actually lose his contract lmao.

People have short memories. He was a prick at Carlton on and off the field. Far from a role mode and far from popular. Heard from very good people about his time at Carlton. Changed man up here but that’s been under the constant pressure of the rolling on year contracts that he cannot take even a slight step backwards. It’s worked out thus far and I believe is the best management strategy to get the best out of him. And the club thinks so to otherwise he’d have a two year contract

Yeah I would actually because what’s he gonna do? Punch me in the face and actually lose his contract lmao.

People have short memories. He was a prick at Carlton on and off the field. Far from a role mode and far from popular. Heard from very good people about his time at Carlton. Changed man up here but that’s been under the constant pressure of the rolling on year contracts that he cannot take even a slight step backwards. It’s worked out thus far and I believe is the best management strategy to get the best out of him. And the club thinks so to otherwise he’d have a two year contract

Don't think he's not being offered a two year to keep him in check. Older guy (turning 30 next year), has a history of injuries, is in a team full of young up-and-comers, makes sense that he's only being offered one year deals.

I think at this point it would be extremely stupid to offer him contracts based on what you've said.

Last edited:
I only started following AFL and Lions in 2015 due to someone getting drafted. During the beltings we constantly got Mitch continually stood up. He always gave 100 percent. In 2018 I think he had a solid season. Definitely best 22 and if he has another solid season 2019 then he deserves another contract for 2020 - at worst he will be great injury cover.

Absolutely agree. The first contract with us was two years (15/16) and if he was a risk to culture his tenure would have ended then. Instead he got another two years. During this period we got rid of Hanley and rockcliff so the club has no hesitation at moving culture problems on and Mitch isn’t one of them.

Many many young men make mistakes and learn from them and there hasn’t been a whisper of rumour that mitch is anything other than a hardworking family man. Who likes video games and is quite likely still a bit hyperactive. Which is great when you are a dad with active young children that he clearly has an involved relationship with (chase at training).

Mitch isn’t an elite skills player, and he is going to be overtaken sooner rather than later but the young ones who have less clangers. His game strength is bash and crash which comes with a high wear out/injury rate and is likely to rule him out sooner rather than later. Both of those reasons mean the club as a business should only offer him year to year contracts. It doesn’t mean they see him as a problem.
I spoke with him after the Richmond debacle,and said I thought it was tremendous how he played every contest as if scores were level in a grand final,he was the only one who did. He responded, well that's how you've got to play mate .Love him.

So happy to see Berry in #7. Used to play in that number myself as a youngin, and take a bit of a shine to each player that puts it on for our team. Bell was a bit of a letdown though.
For the record .Number 7has been worn more times than any other jumper at the Lions.I pointed out to the club,and was supported by Melbourne office recently that more thought could be given to number allocation. 7 is an especially valued number having been worn by Bunton,the only triple Sandover and Brownlow winner,and by champions like Ruthven,Irwin and Clarke .I think they took it on board!

You made a great point on the Rolling Contracts, with the other stuff your sounding a bit like one of them folk yourself.

Fwiw he got a two year for 15/16, then a two year 17/18 and this is his first one year.

These "very good people" also give comment on... Justin Murphy, Nick Stevens, Angwin, Norman, Fevola, Bootsma, Scotland, Yarran, Whitnall, Houlihan, Walker, Whithead & O’hAilpin's....times at Carlton on and off the field ?

Not interested in his time at Carlton...

Robinson had long term injuries in '17 and 18. a year contract is about right

here's a quote from Noble on Mitch..
“We love Mitch’s intensity and his effort can never be questioned,” Noble said
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-09-12/two-resign

Once again outside perception > inside reality. I am a big Mitch fan but folks on here need to tone it down a touch

Once again outside perception > inside reality. I am a big Mitch fan but folks on here need to tone it down a touch

Unless you’re involved in the decisions and know exactly what’s going on with the club this comment (and your previous ones), just come off as dumb.

Mate,with all the people you know, and all the inside info you hear about near every player in the AFL you must be 100 years old and drink in 10 dfferent bars a day.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back