Vintage Bay Mofra's Bottom 50 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Player #17 - Matthew Leuenberger

e4f73b2472aec542457d72de6651d8d9c41ee7e8

Pictured: Being scared of the ball is considered an impediment to an AFL career (usually)

Matthew 'Luey'' Leuenberger is a former pick #4 who managed two games for the season in a side that finished 11th on the ladder.

A former Brisbane player, he exercised free agency to willingly move to Essendon for 'more opportunity' which presumably meant preparing for a life of crime post-retirement.
After 7 games in 2017, he managed only two games this year (one in the last round which seemed a token goodbye game) in which he averaged 11 touches (and 3 and half clangers among that), 22.5 hitouts and - wait what?
He's 202cm and he took one mark for the season? In that game his opponent had 8. In his other game he had zero marks, his opponent had 6.
At your average BDSM event the sub cops less of a beating from the dom than Luey copped in those games. Um, I heard.

So anyway Essendon... offered him another contract for 2019? He cited a lack of commitment in his decision to go on and it's commendable when an AFL player decides they shouldn't continue with their career and give another kid a go, although of course being Essendon they didn't hit the draft hard but just traded the farm again for a GWS player and signed a formerly delisted guy who no doubt will also take Luey's spot on this list next year. At least they're sticking to the 'topping up' strategy that's served them so well for 14 years now. It's almost like they have a history of governance issues and aren't very good with lists.

Fun fact: Luey won the Marcus Ashcroft medal which I didn't invent, it's a real thing. It's for the best on ground player between Brisbane and GCS which is the most desperate attempt at creating fake rivalry since almost every celebrity 'online feud', ever. Brynne Edelston's, um, 'externals' are more real.

Anyway good luck next year Luey, enjoy spending more time with the wife and kids. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2018.

What the hell? 2 entries in one day?
Don’t you have au pairing work to do?
Whatever that is

Rance did mention he thought it was sad that Lids wasn't around for the flag but Richmond used Lids' picks to bring in players who played important roles for them during 2017 so Richmond basically followed a modern AFL tradition of shipping off an older, past his best player to GWS who, having a plethora of high picks, overpaid for a guy on reputation rather than output.

05StGW18AT2169-e1525319091781-760x438.jpg

Homesickness aside, drafting Leuenberger at 4 would have to be our biggest drafting fail.

At least drafting Aish instead of Sheed ended up having a silver lining for us this year

Good call, underrated call. If you exclude the Carlton game he kicked 12 goals in 9 games and didn't rack up a heap of the ball either.

I am not saying he is bad per se. He is obviously a pretty good football player and has the physique of Adonis.
But relative to his reputation and the commentators wankathon - he isnt very good and really doesnt do all that much.
The commentators make out like he is a cross between Wayne Carey and Thor the god of thunder.

That's your opinion , which is why it is wrong. As stated...you are a silly person.
No proof at all, especially here where only Mofra's Au Pair holds authority.
Did you not include Ross Lyon in your coaching team? Who will tell them to put numbers behind the ball? Who will find the next Scott Gumbleton?
Its Ironic a Fremantle supporter telling "anyone" their team is s**t.

Coaches without success.
Brad Scott - Since August 2009.
John Longmire - Since 2011
Ross Lyon - Since 2012
Nathan Buckley -Since 2012 ( Does close count? )
Ken Hinkley - Since 2013
Leon Cameron -Since 2014
Alan Richardson -Since 2014.

Now i understand that your irrational hatred for anything StKilda stems from Saints people giving you the impression that Ross Lyon could deliver, ( prior to 2012 ) but I think psychological help would be your best measure for that.

Hang on a minute there champ. We all saw what you did. That sneaky (and dishonest) sleight of hand to try and make Richardson look ok.

North (Brad Scott) almost made a GF in 2015 and lost a prelim in Perth by not much.
Also of that list above - all of the coaches you mentioned not only made but WON a final. Which is the definition of 'success'.
Richardson has never even made a final - let alone won one. So you cant sneak him in the list with a 'since 2014'.
For Richardson, in fact - under your own definition, he has not had success 'since the birth of time'.
The rest have played AND WON finals.

Nice try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on a minute there champ. We all saw what you did. That sneaky (and dishonest) sleight of hand to try and make Richardson look ok.

North (Brad Scott) almost made a GF in 2015 and lost a prelim in Perth by not much.
Also of that list above - all of the coaches you mentioned not only made but WON a final. Which is the definition of 'success'.
Richardson has never even made a final - let alone won one. So you cant sneak him in the list with a 'since 2014'.
For Richardson, in fact - under your own definition, he has not had success 'since the birth of time'.
The rest have played AND WON finals.

Nice try.

Wow you are the first one in BF to say that StKilda were a success late last decade.
Congratulations of the success of Norf.. You must be very proud. Did the social club knit "success" jumpers in blue and white.

Wow you are the first one in BF to say that StKilda were a success late last decade.
Congratulations of the success of Norf.. You must be very proud. Did the social club knit "success" jumpers in blue and white.

So you are now coming up with definitions that allow you to sneak Richardson in the same group as Longmire?
Seriously. You have to be kidding me.
Yes St Kilda and Lyon were a fairly successful side back in 2009-2010. A decade ago now.

For your Richo comparisons, you can start here:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?sort=p&status=A&type=

Longmire is going at 68% + 1 Flag + 1 GF loss.

Sneaking old 'Mr 33%' Richo in to the same group is seriously outrageous.

If Richo can get up to 50% win:loss then you can include him. That would take 4 top 4 finishes in a row!

Lets get realistic, he needs to wins 16 games in 2019 just to crack the 40% mark.

That is how far away he is.

Let that sink in.

So you are now coming up with definitions that allow you to sneak Richardson in the same group as Longmire?
Seriously. You have to be kidding me.
Yes St Kilda and Lyon were a fairly successful side back in 2009-2010. A decade ago now.

For your Richo comparisons, you can start here:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?sort=p&status=A&type=

Longmire is going at 68% + 1 Flag + 1 GF loss.

Sneaking old 'Mr 33%' Richo in to the same group is seriously outrageous.

If Richo can get up to 50% win:loss then you can include him. That would take 4 top 4 finishes in a row!

Lets get realistic, he needs to wins 16 games in 2019 just to crack the 40% mark.

That is how far away he is.

Let that sink in.

Difference between inheriting a top team and running it down, to inheriting a crap team.

Brad Scott's the one i think must be kissing his superannuation account when it comes.
He "almost" made a grand final in 2015. Three years ago. If getting smashed in a prelim is "almost".
The North supporters just seem so happy to chug along with a moderately good side, popping their head up to play a final occasionally.
I guess 2015 was a bit of a milestone for them , not since they almost got into a grand final in 2007 ( narrowly losing by 90 points to the team who went on to get smashed by 120 points in the big one ) did they come so close.

Brad Scott's the one i think must be kissing his superannuation account when it comes.
He "almost" made a grand final in 2015. Three years ago. If getting smashed in a prelim is "almost".
The North supporters just seem so happy to chug along with a moderately good side, popping their head up to play a final occasionally.
I guess 2015 was a bit of a milestone for them , not since they almost got into a grand final in 2007 ( narrowly losing by 90 points to the team who went on to get smashed by 120 points in the big one ) did they come so close.

in that year, how ya think pies fans feel ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back