Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Found this recently and I love the way it shows how complex and layered the song itself is. Brian Wilson is bona fide genius.

I was in Prague in 2009 and stumbled upon a Sea Shanty Festival. So there were groups from all over Europe and they come together to sing all sea going tunes and it's a huge thing.

One of the choirs, think they were Dutch, did Sloop John B. I sang along and they thought I was awesome for even knowing the song. You can't be cranky singing sea shanties. Just not possible.

Last edited:
Funny thing about Wouldn't It Be Nice is that I now prefer the flipside - God Only Knows.

I won a copy of Good Vibrations later that year from a radio show contest. You had to be the seventh caller or something. It was WCFL Chicago:

Simpler days.

Our local library had a couple of these and you could book a half hour playing Asteroids on them.
Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

Now we have an X-Box, Play Station, ipads, Minecraft lockins, robot sessions and Geek School to learn coding. Oh and the Tardis for virtual reality.

Our local library had a couple of these and you could book a half hour playing Asteroids on them.
Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg
My mate had one and all the games his dad was rich and they got everything when it first came out even had a colour tv to plug it into though it didnt make much difference as a lot of the games were BnW.
So many spliffs so much time wasted,,,so much fun

Things that make me feel prove that I'm old:

1. I have to have a timer pill box so I don't forget to take my pills every four hours.
2. I own two walkers - one is a walking frame for indoors and the other is a rollator for outdoors.
3. I have planned my funeral arrangements.
4. Some of my former students are in their mid 50s.
5. I paid $2 to go to my first footy game in 1976. The Footy Record was 20c.
6. I remember the assassinations of John F Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Robert F Kennedy and where I was when I found out about each.
7. I personally collected a "Goldwater for President" campaign pin from Republican headquarters in my town when I was 12 in 1964.
8. I have carried a religious memento given to me by my most influential high school teacher in my wallet since 1970. I have never lost a wallet.
9. The first cat that I adopted would have been 52 years old on May 24th of this year.
10. All of my grandparents were born in the 1880s/1890s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something doesn't add up there, unless you started teaching at 11.

People in their 50's now were students in high school in the '70's and, for all we care, C1 could've been teaching those students in say 1979 when he was in his 20's.

In summary, all high school students from 1979 are at least 52 years old now.

One of the teachers at my high school was 23 years old when I was in Year 12.

People in their 50's now were students in high school in the '70's and, for all we care, C1 could've been teaching those students in say 1979 when he was in his 20's.

Yep sorry, must have been tired last night and stuffed up the maths.

Correct. I came here a week before my 23rd birthday. I taught Year 9 for the last term of 1975. Them people be old now! :D

Also, a girl I taught back then used to post on the Bulldogs board back around 2002. She'd have a few stories to tell...

I remember going for a drive with friends (won't say when ;) ) and we were admiring old buildings in the town and then we looked at each other and said "We're old!"
I like it when you go to a city and they have 100+ year old buildings seamlessly next to brand new shiny ones.

Stands out and shows how good the old style buildings look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back