Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have taken funding from Putin at this point. Politicians are gonna politick.
I get the bullshit "pledge" from Scomo, as you say, that's what they do.
It seems from the excitement, everyone has forgotten that this was already committed. Either it was bullshit then, or it is now.

What I don't like is reporters and the club getting on board with the fawning gratitude, for something this PM hasn't really done.
Even this video from the time has disappeared. http://m.lions.com.au/video/2018-05-02/swann-on-springfield

Talk about fake news. Yes, I expect it form pollies, but reporters and the club... pathetically OTT.

It's one of the most positive and significant pieces of news for the club in the last decade. How were you expecting the club to report and announce it?? With a little jab at the LNP and a lamention on the workings of the political machine?
That's the thing, it was reported 9 months ago.
This is not news.

It seems from the excitement, everyone has forgotten that this was already committed. Either it was bullshit then, or it is now.

What I don't like is reporters and the club getting on board with the fawning gratitude, for something this PM hasn't really done.
Even this video from the time has disappeared. http://m.lions.com.au/video/2018-05-02/swann-on-springfield

Talk about fake news. Yes, I expect it form pollies, but reporters and the club... pathetically OTT.

It’s just relationship management. I think you are overthinking some side issues.

It’s finally happening!

I thought it already was, is my point. :shrug:

I don’t think it was as concrete as you seem to think it was. I was getting very nervous and anticipating some election-contingent bullshit again.

Anyway, I’m really struggling to care about the politics at this point. This is super exciting and with what we have learned the hard way over the last 10 years about the insane difficulty in attracting political support for AFL in Queensland, I’m feeling pretty grateful to all involved at this point.

I don’t think it was as concrete as you seem to think it was. I was getting very nervous and anticipating some election-contingent bullshit again.

Anyway, I’m really struggling to care about the politics at this point. This is super exciting and with what we have learned the hard way over the last 10 years about the insane difficulty in attracting political support for AFL in Queensland, I’m feeling pretty grateful to all involved at this point.
I was the opposite, 9 months ago, and was very skeptical about what seemed to me to be mixed messages around funding. I presume this is still contingent on State funds, which were less clear.

Now, I am far more concerned about the politics. This country cannot put up with another term of LNP, Morrison, Dutton et al.
I just watched a news report, stating that Liberal Party research "reveals" that the Australian public have deep concerns with Labor's economic plans. This was reported as factual news, compelling viewers to believe they really should be, while Morrison mocked the apparently ridiculous concept of making those who should, pay more tax.

Sorry for dragging politics into this thread, but the bigger picture here is that not only are those reporting this "announcement", giving Scomo an undeserved hero's cheer, but punters are actually swallowing the narrative that Scomo has saved us with a commitment made by others, nearly a year ago.

I'll leave it there.
Yay, go Scomo.

Scott Morrison is one of the most astute prime minister's we've had in the last 6 months.

Knew he'd never let me down
I'm confident that history will describe him as one of the best 5 prime ministers Australia's had in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

L
There seem to be mock-up images in that article that show that the setup has evolved considerably in terms of both of the addition of a second field and some more elaborate architecture and landscaping. This is really exciting if those are accurate.

View attachment 612711
View attachment 612710
View attachment 612709
it looks spectacular and will add to the clubs fortunes for years to come if it attracts commercial partners/tenants and builds community ties.

Way to get angry at good news.

At least we won't have another awkward media moment with someone like McCarthy when they're asked "How are the facilities here?", and they avoid the question.

Pissed off that this funding is being announced as a new commitment by Morrison, when it was supposedly committed 9 months ago. Typical of politicians to announce projects that have been in pipeline for ages, as part of their election campaigns.

Worse, that the club is jumping on the LNP campaign band wagon by running this as news as well... Gee, thanks Scott.
Even Mike Whiting is reporting this as some sort of coup.
Club is not jumping on some LNP campaign and made it quite explicit that the State Govt had already made their commitment dependent on the Feds...

Well that will kill the academy, imagine trying to get your kid from Redlands to Springfield on a Wednesday arvo by 6pm. I get the Women's footy for a home ground, even though Coorparoo would be ideal. I don't get the logic in it.

We'll bugger me its actually happening. What a bloody relief. Thats a serious looking facility thats for sure.

we're not mucking around with the architects we're using either. Populous have some serious cred in this sort of area. In Brisbane they've just done the broncos and over in perth they're doing West Coast's training centre and have done Geelongs and GWS. But worldwide we're talking about facilities for Queens Park Rangers, Barcelona, Texas A&M, Purdue, Boise State, Cleveland Browns, Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills.....the list goes on. We're not stuffing around here thats for sure. This is going to be amazing. check some of their work out here https://populous.com/portfolio#trainingfacilities

Get excited people!!

Honestly Skoob who bloody cares? Clearly there was some either incomplete or incorrect reporting. I'd say it was an in principle agreement. Given the pool of funding its coming from and knowing the way govt works on projects like these a pledge from the govt can take a long time to actually pass through all the processes and sign offs. Honestly this is a massive day for the club and its supporters and you're sitting there having a whinge about politics. Let it go man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back