Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be the key then. Get them all over to G town.
I do feel for them, being over the other side of the country with a large but young family. I did get a bit of an eye twitch when I heard Freo was off the table because Caitlin doesnt like a couple of the players though. How true that reason is Im not sure.
Ideally, would love him to keep getting better and better and for the family to really enjoy Geelong.

The other possibility is that he plays in cruise/preservation mode, marking time until he can move west. Some advantages in doing this, for him and WCE.
He has arguably already proven his value.

I agree and this won't be a popular view or even a probable view but if geelong were to have a poor 2015 like season. Then do you play a guy round 20 outside the 8 or do play the kids ?

Considering Tim and his manager were in contact with west coast all year after the bye round I think its plausible again lots of contact will be made throughout the year.

FYI, from The West: https://thewest.com.au/sport/geelon...tic-to-tim-kellys-home-request-ng-b881097737z

Patrick Dangerfield says West Coast’s billing as the best team in the AFL was a factor in Geelong’s inability to get a deal done to send Tim Kelly back to WA.

Kelly requested a switch back to his native state during last year’s trade period, but his management was adamant the first-year sensation would only play for the Eagles and not Fremantle.

Geelong and West Coast were ultimately unable to agree to terms, leaving the 24-year-old to see out the second and final year of his contract at the Cattery.

As an Eagles fan, I hope we can get a deal done for 2020, but its watch this space ......

I think we can lock that trade in. I can't see Tim going to the draft over this. The WCE offer and the cats offer will both be substantial contracts, he won't be free.

Seems to be the key then. Get them all over to G town.
I do feel for them, being over the other side of the country with a large but young family. I did get a bit of an eye twitch when I heard Freo was off the table because Caitlin doesnt like a couple of the players though. How true that reason is Im not sure.
Ideally, would love him to keep getting better and better and for the family to really enjoy Geelong.
Caitlin needs to STFU she has probable cost her family half a million $ over Tims future career already with here big gob.Add to that a dimwit manager and the poor bastard Tim is on a hiding to nothing,I'm still backing Cooky can get through to them as they desperately need professional help and get him sign a longer contract.

Maybe
Caitlin needs to STFU she has probable cost her family half a million $ over Tims future career already with here big gob.Add to that a dimwit manager and the poor bastard Tim is on a hiding to nothing,I'm still backing Cooky can get through to them as they desperately need professional help and get him sign a longer contract.

Maybe, just maybe the money is not what it is about, maybe Tim puts his family first.

Alot can happen in 12 months - and i also think Fremantle will improve dramatically this year with Hogan and Lobb - so no one knows what the scenario will be at the end of the season

It will be interesting if Kelly can improve his field kicking ( and when he continually got overlooked in draft after draft - he admitted that the recruiters kept telling him his kicking wasnt up to scratch ) hes ok up to 30-35 metres - but over that distance he sprays them and theres no real power in them

You look at a top Geel midfielder from the past - Neville Bruns - he was only small - but he could kick drop punts 60 metres no problem - off about 2 steps - with plenty of power - where as Kellys are powder puffs in comparism

Thats why im not too concerned if he goes - because kis kicking holds him back from being a top notch midfielder

You look at Elliot Yeo who is a very very good player - but he is a booming kick - thats one of his assets - gets the ball in the centre and thumps it - but if he had Kellys leg - he would be nowhere near as good a midfielder

Maybe

Maybe, just maybe the money is not what it is about, maybe Tim puts his family first.
The best thing he can do for his wife and kids is pocket the best coin he can and invest wisely in the short time he will be in the game,there will be no second shot at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? I tend to think Kelly will play a blistering year to improve his value + ask for more $$$ from WC.

He needs a massive 2019 irrespective of who he ends up signing for next year.

Given his age, this next contract is his only real opportunity for a massive payday and a long-term deal for his entire career.

Phoning it in this season to get to the Weagles will only ensure they offer him less money and potentially a shorter deal for 2020 and beyond. After all, they're a football club and a business in the final analysis, not St Vincent de Paul.

I therefore expect him to go all out this year so that he can command big dollars and long tenure at the club of his choice next season.

Well, lucky for us you guys didn't ...... Yet again
We'll be looking after him at the end of the year as he'll get a fair contract and GFC will get a fair deal from WC.

We've been always fair traders, if anything we pay overs, it was just unfortunate for us and TK we didn't have the currency to get him home last year.

This year should be different and the GFC will be rewarded for the development that you've given him over 2018 and 2019.

We'll be looking after him at the end of the year as he'll get a fair contract and GFC will get a fair deal from WC.

We've been always fair traders, if anything we pay overs, it was just unfortunate for us and TK we didn't have the currency to get him home last year.

This year should be different and the GFC will be rewarded for the development that you've given him over 2018 and 2019.
Technically WCE did have the currency to get him last trade period when Wells did advise that by adding your 2019 first round pick to the trade that it would cause for serious consideration to get the deal done - WCE refused to consider the option of trading a first round pick for Kelly, and instead wanted to under pay on his value, hence no deal being done

Last edited:

Our reward will be SFA then because this coaching regime can't develop for s**t.

There is legitimately no reason to believe that your club will offer anything resembling a fair value for TK.

Your 'silver bullet' brought out at the death of last year's trade period was... a future second. You guys have spent two years planning on getting him as cheaply as possible to prioritise other players. No doubt we will see that play out yet again this year, as you focus on Coniglio instead.

Our reward will be SFA then because this coaching regime can't develop for s**t.

Is there any chance you stop hijacking threads with your anti-Chris Scott opinions, which aren't relevant to the topic being discussed?

Is there any chance you stop hijacking threads with your anti-Chris Scott opinions, which aren't relevant to the topic being discussed?
Get off your high horse, i replied to a guy who said we'll be rewarded for his development so it was relevant.

It was certainly 'family first' at the end of '18. If you mean the West Coast family, rather than the Kellys and their supposedly suffocating homesickness.

You've spun the bottle & won again, Tim got the chocolates courtesy of being drafted, Geelong a club that has made West Aussies welcome for close on 100 years for an enjoyable ride :thumbsu:, so returning home is exception not the rule.

That the Eagles did not want to trade a good player after the flag is equally not surprising.

I remain surprised Tim wasnt prepared to go to Freo, IMHO they (Freo) will be knocking on the door of the eight in 2019 & the Eagles list leading into the 2019 draft is well balanced for the future across most lines.

He's worth an Rd1 trade to the Cats, & in 2018 the Eagles werent able/ willing to do the business. Dangerfield from Adelaide should be a template in terms of winners & losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back