Prediction Geelong's fortunes for season 2019

Where will Geelong finish on the ladder in season 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He was inconsistent but was the 2nd most gifted player I saw in GAS time.
I'm not sure, Malakellis kept getting gifted games, so did a few others.

We lost by 29 points last year and at times looked as though we had momentum and could snatch a win. We were never in the '17 prelim.

I thought we looked 'in' the EF last year for all of seven minutes or so. Then were routinely blown away by a team with no meaningful finals experience in almost the blink of an eye. I don't perceive that as demonstrably better than '17.

Barring Menz's moment of extreme selfishness late in the second quarter at the Adelaide Oval in '17, we could have gone to the main break under five goals down in that game as well. Which would have seemed as 'competitive' as we truly were for much of the game against the Dees. In truth, if the Demons kick straight in last year's EF, it's over as a contest and on the scoreboard much, much earlier.

In the end, I'm sure there are vagaries that suggest we were 'better' in last year's EF than in the '17 PF. For mine, both games were basically over at QT and that should be a massive source of consternation and embarrassment for the entire GFC.

Bos was a very good player. Had tons of footy left in him too.

I always thought Darcy was pretty unlucky. Was never anything more than a half back flanker, but played full back because we had no one else. Kept Dunstall to 4 goals both times in 1989 which wasn't actually that bad.

I dont think Blight ever forgave Darcy ( thats why he tried alot of other fullbacks ) - in the 89 GF - a game which i went to - in the 3rd qtr when Geel were getting right back into the game - Dunstall took a contested chest mark ( Punt Rd end ) in front of Darcy - and Darcy went in with the knees - roughed Dunstall right up - rolled all over him - it was totally stupid - at a critical point in the game - 50 metre penalty - gift Hawthorn goal .

You may be taking the piss but I meant gifted as in talented.
That's what I thought. Didn't do much with us, or the Crows either (that I know of) but he definitely had some natural talent as a forward. Could take a great mark.
Was only young but the main thing I remember is that I hated his face for some reason Haha.
But seriously that's a shocking contrast between back lines. And I thought 92 was bad!

You may be taking the piss but I meant gifted as in talented.
Extremely talented - often lazy - and pretty versatile. As well as being a proven goalkicker, he could also play down back as a running defender and used to take some great grabs. His start to the '87 season was scintillating.

And yes, I was taking the piss. I need the footy to start.

Extremely tough. Enormously effective. And exceptionally underrated.

Not that I think he cared about what people thought in the slightest.

Pure footy player. Nothing more, nothing less.

So no matter how much more footy I watch over the years, he'll always be in my top 10 favourite Cats.
Bos you refer to? Mandingo he was affectionately called.Me too, loved him, very deserved dual B & F winner. Another where an ACL did lessen his long term potential.
He was amazing. I spent a bit of time in the rooms back when Goggin was coach, part of my training, and Bos was easily his favourite player, and deservedly.
One match before a rd 22 Essendon game, which we did win- Bombers were playing really well,and it was to determine finals positions, Billy was giving the players a tackling drill and he used Bos to show them how. I think he was meant to line up on Watson that game, no mean feat as Watson was a star.
He was tough and strong. After games, he'd be no fuss, out within a minute, white T- shirt, jeans, while all the others would spend ages recovering and mucking around.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. Didn't do much with us, or the Crows either (that I know of) but he definitely had some natural talent as a forward. Could take a great mark.
Was only young but the main thing I remember is that I hated his face for some reason Haha.

But seriously that's a shocking contrast between back lines. And I thought 92 was bad!

He looked a little smug for mine. He was up and down like you wouldn’t believe.

I remember the 1989 finals.

QF - didn’t look as overawed as most
SF - 3 possession shocker
PF - tagged Watson very well
GF - best couple for us

This summed him up for us.

Just gut feel?

I don't have hard data compiled on it, but it would potentially be reflected in the way games actually turned out.

2017 we probably won a disproportionate number of close games, last year I think we lost a disproportionate number of them (even with the Melbourne games that some fixate on).

I think our % last year was better, and we didn't seem to get opened up nearly as much - whereas there was that run of games in '17 leading into the first three games at the new KP where we lost while conceding over 100 to Collingwood, Essendon and the GC.

I don't have hard data compiled on it, but it would potentially be reflected in the way games actually turned out.

2017 we probably won a disproportionate number of close games, last year I think we lost a disproportionate number of them (even with the Melbourne games that some fixate on).

I think our % last year was better, and we didn't seem to get opened up nearly as much - whereas there was that run of games in '17 leading into the first three games at the new KP where we lost while conceding over 100 to Collingwood, Essendon and the GC.
That was my perception also, and fwiw, CS said exactly what you said too.
We also had a difficult draw or finishing top 4 in 17 and 16

I thought we looked 'in' the EF last year for all of seven minutes or so. Then were routinely blown away by a team with no meaningful finals experience in almost the blink of an eye. I don't perceive that as demonstrably better than '17.

Barring Menz's moment of extreme selfishness late in the second quarter at the Adelaide Oval in '17, we could have gone to the main break under five goals down in that game as well. Which would have seemed as 'competitive' as we truly were for much of the game against the Dees. In truth, if the Demons kick straight in last year's EF, it's over as a contest and on the scoreboard much, much earlier.

In the end, I'm sure there are vagaries that suggest we were 'better' in last year's EF than in the '17 PF. For mine, both games were basically over at QT and that should be a massive source of consternation and embarrassment for the entire GFC.

But it’s worse than that, because you must also include the 2016 Prelim against Sydney - where the game was again over at quarter time, or the 2017 Qualifying against Richmond, where they capitulated as badly as I’ve ever seen. That’s four shocking finals losses in three seasons.

Report in the Age has us reclining and falling away after that. (Report by Pelcham)

9. GEELONG
Any team that boasts Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins, Gary Ablett, Mitch Duncan, Mark Blicavs and Tim Kelly is going to present formidable opposition but Geelong need more from their second-tier players to progress up the ladder in 2019. The additions of Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan will add depth to their attack while the return from injury of Esava Ratugolea will provide another much-needed tall target. More so than a number of other teams in the top half of the competition, Geelong need their best players available for most of the season – their best is good enough to be a contender but they fall away too quickly when key players go missing. Cam Guthrie, Tom Stewart, Sam Menegola and Jack Henry will have to reproduce their best football again this year to push the Cats forward. They are very capable but need things to go right for them.

Movement from 2018 rankings: down six spots (3rd)
Three-year projected list ranking (2022): 14th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds weird but I thought the Crows PF was the "best" of our losses even though the margin was probably the biggest.
Kicking inaccurately and dropping marks in finals isn't unlucky to me, and doesn't show that a team wasnt so bad.
Pressure and crowd noise are all part of it.
Who handles it the best nearly always wins.
I accept I'm being really negative for saying this, but I'm not sure we can fix it now.
A lot of players confidence in finals would be very low now.

But it’s worse than that, because you must also include the 2016 Prelim against Sydney - where the game was again over at quarter time, or the 2017 Qualifying against Richmond, where they capitulated as badly as I’ve ever seen. That’s four shocking finals losses in three seasons.

I agree about the Swans final. Another massive embarrassment with our entire team pulverised inside 20 minutes.

Not so much about the Tigers game, though. They obliterated all three finals opponents that season (all fellow top four finishers). And, as it was, we actually ran them closest until the last change. With Zuthrie's miss and Cuthrie's injury both playing a role for mine in setting up the steamrolling that we eventually succumbed to late in the third and right through the last.

Still, I do understand that hinting at the mitigating circumstances surrounding a 10-goal finals loss does rather underline how poor so many of our recent finals 'appearances' have been.

We have been so far from good enough it's frightening. And to see it play out so similarly year after year has been both stupefying and infuriating.

If it wasn't for the catharsis that was '07-'11, you would seriously be tucked up behind the couch in the foetal position every time they bounced the ball in our finals matches these days.

I know Rahilly and Knights have been there for a while.....

Scarlett and Enright are new.......who are the others apart from Ottens ruck coaching (which is overdue!)
Scarlett is the only one who should be 100% safe IMO.... therefore, hell be the first to go!

Back