Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Motorcyclist fatality when lane filtering on a freeway.

Colour me shocked. Dangerous practice at best, fatal one at worst. Unfortunately for that guy today, it is the latter.

For me, it is the second most annoying thing about motorcyclists, behind only parking their bike wherever the hell they feel like.
Yeah Ive had a few scares recently and sometimes I only know they're filtering by noise- but you cant be relying on that can you? (deaf people are allowed to drive dont forget)

What's stopping someone from moving slightly (but still within their lane) and taking someone out without them not even realising they're there? If it was up to me id only allow it when traffics completely stopped (or at least moving very slowly like around walking speed)

Yeah Ive had a few scares recently and sometimes I only know they're filtering by noise- but you cant be relying on that can you? (deaf people are allowed to drive dont forget)

What's stopping someone from moving slightly (but still within their lane) and taking someone out without them not even realising they're there? If it was up to me id only allow it when traffics completely stopped (or at least moving very slowly like around walking speed)

I think that is the law - it can only be done when traffic is moving less than 30kph

I had a really close call about 15 years ago when someone was doing it at 80 in the wet. Had music on and just didn’t see/hear him. Couldn’t quite understand why he was so annoyed with me when I was indicating and checked my blind spot (and saw him) preventing it at the time.

The couple of pics I saw today looked gruesome. Would not want to be the loved one identifying him. Suspect the truck was truly just wrong place wrong time with him buffered under it. At least it would have been very quick for the guy.

Drivers hate motorcyclists and cyclists for their conveniences but won't change their habits to enjoy them. Just prefer to get angry at them for having said conveniences.
Pisses me off when their "convenience" involves pushing through traffic at a red light, taking off at speed to get in front of everyone then slam on the breaks and sit at or just below the speed limit, making everyone behind them miss the next 4 green lights.

Pisses me off when their "convenience" involves pushing through traffic at a red light, taking off at speed to get in front of everyone then slam on the breaks and sit at or just below the speed limit, making everyone behind them miss the next 4 green lights.
I don't have an issue with motorbikes lane cutting to the front of red lights, they have way faster accel than cars.

Scooters on the other hand......

That is the only time it's legal. And it only became legal very recently (in Vic anyway). The guys that do it in on the freeway are just asking to be hit. I zipped in and out of traffic, but I never ever went between two vehicles traveling at speed. It's just stupid.

I don't have an issue with motorbikes lane cutting to the front of red lights, they have way faster accel than cars.

Scooters on the other hand......

Food delivery drivers?

Still unsure exactly what road rules apply to them, including using a mobile phone. Yellow box on the back must buy immunity

Yeah the acceleration is no problem, just when they sit and block traffic by riding slow afterwards.

i must get the slow ones take off in front off me, i usually take off quick and last few times a bike has lane filtered in front of me, they have crawled off the line

past a scooter doing 50 in a 80 zone the other morning, everyone was passing him, at least he was in the left lane but if you aren't confident riding find a different way

Partly, it seems that motorbikes on footpath also attracts smokers, and makes tourists walk even slower and often into oncoming foot traffic.

When I think about it, the knock on effects are almost endless on making life less comvient to everyone except them
In the city it's not against the law to park on the footpath, but it is against council guidelines.

Motorcyclist fatality when lane filtering on a freeway.

Colour me shocked. Dangerous practice at best, fatal one at worst. Unfortunately for that guy today, it is the latter.

For me, it is the second most annoying thing about motorcyclists, behind only parking their bike wherever the hell they feel like.
Ever since they changed the law to allow filtering up to 30km/h I've noticed an increase in motorcyclists lane splitting at all speeds and do it where it's illegal to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on that monash one from yesterday. a guy on reddit posted that he drove past it just after it happened. said the body was in pieces. sounds like an awful way to go

on that monash one from yesterday. a guy on reddit posted that he drove past it just after it happened. said the body was in pieces. sounds like an awful way to go

I don’t recall the cops discussing or warning about the gruesome scene before, albeit this was in a very busy thoroughfare through peak hour.

The photos didn’t look good of the amount of blood across the road. Thankful I didn’t have to respond or identify that person, must be horrific for family.

Can only hope if you were minced and spat out by a truck, it happened really fast so you probably never even knew.

I don’t recall the cops discussing or warning about the gruesome scene before, albeit this was in a very busy thoroughfare through peak hour.
cops didn't, but all the traffic reporters on the way to work said the incident was horrific

Drivers hate motorcyclists and cyclists for their conveniences but won't change their habits to enjoy them. Just prefer to get angry at them for having said conveniences.
Of think of the consequences of putting all of those people into cars instead.

Who the hell wants more traffic?

Inb4 over the top rules and speed limits are imposed because of that.

You cannot legislate to prevent human error.

Roadworks near me where a 2 lane road that normally turns into 3 lanes is temporarily kept at 2 lanes (tram works in the middle). So usually the extra lane is on the left hand side. So they put up a big electrical sign signalling the right hand lane ahead is closed and to merge left (or if you need to turn right at the lights, merge into the turning lane on the right). So of course people get flustered and s**t themselves and it turns into a massive road block.

Instead, they could have put cones on the road that made sure the left lane moves to the left lane (usually the additional lane). The right hand lane moves into the middle lane. Problem solved. Would not be a major roadblock.

Also said roadworks - counted 23 blokes standing around doing SFA this morning. No wonder it takes over a yr to complete a road upgrade

Already 10 more deaths on Victorian roads compared to this time last year. Highest they've been in a 5 year period as well.

When i was young, when watching the news was a thing, and the national road toll, showing each states, was shown, i used to clench my fist when Victoria were leading. And by leading i mean have the most!

Complete idiot today. Traffic on a one lane st bumper to bumper. This bloke wants to turn right at the traffic lights about 500m up the road. So rather than wait, goes onto the other side of the road and drives with cars coming the other way. They all have to swerve out of his way. Rather than pull back in he he eventually just stops and waits for our lane to start moving. When it does he continues to drive on the opposite side of the road.

Just a complete *******. Wouldn't care less if he crashed and killed himself, would deserve it. But s**t like that putting other people's lives at risk boils my blood.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back