Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw some whacko driving like a maniac a couple of Sundays ago on Beach Rd. I was cycling, it was busy (as usual for a warm Sunday arvo), then the person came behind me and started weaving around, constantly changing lanes. It was southbound, Elwood, approaching Glen Huntly Rd.

I thought, "I'll enjoy seeing this turd held up by all the traffic". Well, he or she wasn't held up at all, because they ran the red light at Glen Huntly Rd (slowly, but still..), then ran another red light on the wrong side of the road a few 100 metres further, on a pedestrian crossing which had pedestrians on it! I sped up on my bike to try to see what further carnage they caused, but I lost sight of the car when it turned on the right-hand bend on Beach Rd toward Brighton.

So, there's a big difference between the average dickhead and a complete nutcase

Tailgating is my biggest hate, easily. It is by far the most dangerous driving habit that should be targeted by police, but isn't. I drive from Melbourne to Geelong quite regularly, and it is most often tradies in utes or big Toorak tractors with front bullbars that move up so close that you can't see their headlights while travelling at 100 km/h+. Happens 4-5 times every journey. I've got to the point of refusing to be intimidated; I just cruise on until a gap opens up to my left so I can get out of the way. I'd prefer to slowly decrease my speed until the morons get the message, but I can't afford road-rage incidents with the family in the car.

In city traffic, drivers who speed along to the left of a line of traffic before putting on their indicator and pushing in when they get to a parked car blocking their way. Your time is no more important than mine, you selfish idiots. I get a special satisfaction from driving on the tail of the car in front and not letting them in :)
Yep, I hear you. God the rage that overcomes me when this happens is frightening. But like you I’ve got kids, and can’t afford getting into an incident.

I reckon every single time I drive or go in at least a longer trip I’ll experience this. And you’re right, it’s always utes that are those single cab two seaters. They just ride you as far as they can. Like you I don’t care, I actually don’t even move anymore. If it’s 100 and I am on 100, they don’t need to go beyond that. So they can stay behind me until they get a break to the left.

Speeding in streets that are 50. My neighbour and I don’t speak anymore because he was hammering down the street (which is full of kids) one night and I walked over the road and asked him how he’d feel scraping his 10 year old daughter off the road and organising her funeral. We got into a yelling match as that comment hit a nerve and I told him I’d reported him to the police.

I also was hit by a car pushing in like you said from left to right, she scraped my car trying to get in front of me. This was 5 years ago. She claimed I didn’t let her in, I said I didn’t have to, she lost.

I cycle a lot. Drivers seem to keep inventing new ways to use me as target practice.

Recently, I was fanging along on my bike on Centre Rd, East Bentleigh, in a section which has 2 lanes going both ways.
The road was clear, except for one car which was stationary, waiting to turn right (obviously in the right-hand lane), about 30 metres in front of me, and we were both heading the same way. Just as I was about to pass well inside on the left side of the stationary, right-turning car, the driver changed his mind and turned immediately left into a driveway, right in front of me. Faaaark! I dunno how I stopped in time, but I just managed to do so.

One more: sections of North Rd, through Ormond (etc), have service lanes with narrow dividing strips separating them from the main lanes.
One day, I was steaming along the clear service lane on my bike, and the main road lanes were full of slow-moving traffic. As I was thumping along, watching for cars that might come out of side streets on my left, some bogan in a high-wheel 4wd thing drove over the dividing strip from the main lanes into the service lane, right in front of me!!! I slowed down just in time to avoid colliding with the car

I tells ya, I can anticipate most of the stupid things motorists can do, but that one totally caught me off guard. :D

Last edited:
People not being courteous enough to let people in who are indicating are part of the problem too.
Nah, not when they go into the left lane and bypass all the traffic and only want to get in because of a parked car. There’s also a difference between letting them and pushing in.

I did get stitched up once though. Wet conditions and I was still sitting probably 10-20 over the limit (I was comfortable at that speed, don’t get on my back) and some campaigner would not get off my ass, so I thought **** you and slowed down to 5ks under the limit, anyway the lane split into 2 probably a kilometre further down and this guy jumped into the next lane and we were having a screaming match sideways.. then the campaigner flicked on his light bars and blinded the s**t out of me as he had them in a 360 degree radius off his roof racks. He got me good.
Don’t speed. It’s ******* dangerous.

Speeding. You’d be surprised when you are going the speed limit and you look around to see people flying past you. Try it next time, just check all the people going past.

That’s still the biggest issue, people speeding. People just don’t get it. They won’t get it until the government actually makes speeding fines such a huge amount it scares people enough.

I cycle a lot. Drivers seem to keep inventing new ways to use me as target practice.

Recently, I was fanging along on my bike on Centre Rd, East Bentleigh, in a section which has 2 lanes going both ways.
The road was clear, except for one car which was stationary, waiting to turn right (obviously in the right-hand lane), about 30 metres in front of me, and we were both heading the same way. Just as I was about to pass well inside on the left side of the stationary, right-turning car, the driver changed his mind and turned immediately left into a driveway, right in front of me. Faaaark! I dunno how I stopped in time, but I just managed to do so.

One more: sections of North Rd, through Ormond (etc), have service lanes with narrow dividing strips separating them from the main lanes.
One day, I was steaming along the clear service lane on my bike, and the main road lanes were full of slow-moving traffic. As I was thumping along, watching for cars that might come out of side streets on my left, some bogan in a high-wheel 4wd thing drove over the dividing strip from the main lanes into the service lane, right in front of me!!! I slowed down just in time to avoid colliding with the car

I tells ya, I can anticipate most of the stupid things motorists can do, but that one totally caught me off guard. :D
I'm always curious about when you pass a cyclist and about 400m later need to turn left. You do all the right things, indicate and slow down. Does the cyclist have to slow down or do we have to give way and let them pass before we turn. I presume they need to slow down. Too many times cyclists just keep going and I have nearly hit them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People not being courteous enough to let people in who are indicating are part of the problem too.
People who try and merge 20kms under the speed everyone else is doing is the worst and as someone above said, don't let those arsehole who think they are smarter than everyone else by using a different lane in

Yep, I hear you. God the rage that overcomes me when this happens is frightening. But like you I’ve got kids, and can’t afford getting into an incident.

I reckon every single time I drive or go in at least a longer trip I’ll experience this. And you’re right, it’s always utes that are those single cab two seaters. They just ride you as far as they can. Like you I don’t care, I actually don’t even move anymore. If it’s 100 and I am on 100, they don’t need to go beyond that. So they can stay behind me until they get a break to the left.

Sounds like you're deliberately trying to provoke an already uptight driver. Pretty stupid thing to do at 100 clicks IMO. You should go and drive in Europe where courtesy exists on the road and the overtaking lane is never blocked. It changes your mentality in this situation. If you move over and let the driver through in the right lane it avoids the need for them to swerve through traffic and overtake dangerously on the left. Part of why trucks are banned in right lanes in places also.

don't let those arsehole who think they are smarter than everyone else by using a different lane in

I never understand this mentality. The lane has been put there specifically for that use, so more traffic can move through that section. People who deliberately try to "block" others from merging in are disrupting the flow and creating unnecessary angst on the road.

Sounds like you're deliberately trying to provoke an already uptight driver. Pretty stupid thing to do at 100 clicks IMO. You should go and drive in Europe where courtesy exists on the road and the overtaking lane is never blocked. It changes your mentality in this situation. If you move over and let the driver through in the right lane it avoids the need for them to swerve through traffic and overtake dangerously on the left. Part of why trucks are banned in right lanes in places also.

I never understand this mentality. The lane has been put there specifically for that use, so more traffic can move through that section. People who deliberately try to "block" others from merging in are disrupting the flow and creating unnecessary angst on the road.
No mate. I am sticking to the ******* speed limit and everyone else should as well. I’ve seen first hand what speed does to a stationary human being. It’s really not pleasant.

I let people indicating in all the time. Hell, I'll even wave people through if I can see they're clear but I know their vision will be obscured. #ChristianMotoring.

But what I won't do is come to a stop from 30/40kph to allow some impatient prat in a BMW to pull out of their parking space like they think they're entitled to. Completely different scenario to letting people in, and not safe because it would surprise other motorists behind me.

I cycle a lot. ...
I reckon you people are mad ;)
By my estimate, there are a solid 5-10% of vehicles doing the suburban commute piloted by individuals that just cannot drive. I 'member having a week's commute not long ago where every day I observed one of these people crashing into a stationary car. Now that's annoying enough if you happen to be in the unlucky vehicle. But if you're on a pushbike when one of these clowns does it - you're probably going to die. I'm sure as you state, you get pretty good at identifying these people coming, but phew, better you than me.

I let people indicating in all the time. Hell, I'll even wave people through if I can see they're clear but I know their vision will be obscured. #ChristianMotoring.

But what I won't do is come to a stop from 30/40kph to allow some impatient prat in a BMW to pull out of their parking space like they think they're entitled to. Completely different scenario to letting people in, and not safe because it would surprise other motorists behind me.

By my estimate, there are a solid 5-10% of vehicles doing the suburban commute piloted by individuals that just cannot drive. I 'member having a week's commute not long ago where every day I observed one of these people crashing into a stationary car. Now that's annoying enough if you happen to be in the unlucky vehicle. But if you're on a pushbike when one of these clowns does it - you're probably going to die. I'm sure as you state, you get pretty good at identifying these people coming, but phew, better you than me.
I used to cycle, lots. I was a beach road rider. But I’d be on the road from 4:30am until 6:30am - 7am Max. I just wouldn’t do it anymore. It’s too dangerous. People driving are just too dumb. They just don’t care. There are also a heap of cyclists who are really bad. The other day a bunch was taking up a whole lane on north road. It was about 9:30am. Motorists were visibly bothered as they were trying to come across to the middle lanes. It was a disaster.

See that’s where I stop and think, you need to cycle single file and stay really close to the kerb. You can’t take a whole lane on a busy road in peak hour and not expect people to get angry. I’ve seen cyclists go through pedestrian crossings that are red, because they can’t slow down, or won’t slow down. They’re even a danger to other cyclists when in a big pack.

There’s dickheads everywhere, but I’d rather not be up against a dickhead in a car.

I agree. I am not letting some cretin cut in because they’ve roared up the left and come up to a parked car.

Why can’t you stick to the speed limit?

No the dickheads who decide to skip the queue to turn right and are in the lane that goes straight. They then sit at the front of the line with their indicator on holding up traffic who want to go straight. Don't let them *ers in

Speeding. You’d be surprised when you are going the speed limit and you look around to see people flying past you. Try it next time, just check all the people going past.

That’s still the biggest issue, people speeding. People just don’t get it. They won’t get it until the government actually makes speeding fines such a huge amount it scares people enough.
As Ive said on here before i very rarely go over the speed limit. Its a speed "limit" not a minimum.

Not worth it.

The amount of people flying past is crazy.

Id LOVE it if they made fines $1000+ for speeding

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

No mate. I am sticking to the ******* speed limit and everyone else should as well. I’ve seen first hand what speed does to a stationary human being. It’s really not pleasant.

On highways I usually sit on 102 as they take 3km/h off when detecting speeding fines etc. However most cars are actually under what their speedo says. Take for instance on the Geelong Hwy, they have a check your speed section and at 102km/h it shows im actually ding 96km/h (I presume its semi-accurate). So those going faster than you are probably only doing 100-102km/h. But then there are those who are clearly doing 120+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back