Prediction Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-22/signing-deadline-looms-as-hawks-weigh-up-project-ruckman

No mention of Meadows at all.

Guessing we're not going to sign him then.

Not sure I agree with this given I doubt any club would take Reeves from us so why not sign Meadows now and take Reeves in the mid-season draft if he's performing well for Box Hill?

But hey, I don't know what the club thinks! :grin:
I don't think it would be because the club would be scared of losing Reeves and more that the club may just not rate Meadows as an AFL player possibly? No point taking him on if we don't think he's cut out for it.

I don't think it would be because the club would be scared of losing Reeves and more that the club may just not rate Meadows as an AFL player possibly? No point taking him on if we don't think he's cut out for it.

Fair call. I guess it's definitely a long term view with Reeves, or they'd pick a mature-age ruck if they needed depth.

I had just thought that we could use an additional mid to add depth for the year whilst Mitchell is out.

Fair call. I guess it's definitely a long term view with Reeves, or they'd pick a mature-age ruck if they needed depth.

I had just thought that we could use an additional mid to add depth for the year whilst Mitchell is out.

Big boy 29.5 years Ceglea 28, Pittonet 22 , & Reeves 20.

I think the club is thinking drafting meadows and giving him games while we have a stack of midfielders is a bit of surplus for needs. Would rather develop and see what Cousins. Worpel. Morrison, Jones and Howe can produce as they are all young and can be a 8-10 year mids for Hawthorn.

Quick question - Taking both Meadows and Reeves will render Cat B Rookie Conor Nash (and CJ) as unselectable, correct?
Nash will need another LTI to happen before he can be promoted from Cat B and selected for Hawthorn?
In fact taking just one of them will do this, as Langford was already a Cat A Rookie. Unless Cat B can replace an injured Cat A?
A poster on another thread (sorry I could not the find reference) said that it is likely the AFL would not allow a non-contracted player to play in a practice match. This seems correct to me. As Ned Reeves played in the inter-club match against Carlton he has likely been signed, though the Hawks are yet to announce it. So 1 spot is likely taken.

Others (stemline...MrPremiership ...) have noted that if the Hawks want to play category B rookie Connor Nash in the seniors then they will have to upgrade him to a category A rookie. This also makes sense.

So it seems both spots are taken:
Langford —> Ned Reeves
Mitchell —-> Connor Nash upgraded from Cat B to Cat A

Last edited:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-22/signing-deadline-looms-as-hawks-weigh-up-project-ruckman

No mention of Meadows at all.

Guessing we're not going to sign him then.

Not sure I agree with this given I doubt any club would take Reeves from us so why not sign Meadows now and take Reeves in the mid-season draft if he's performing well for Box Hill?

But hey, I don't know what the club thinks! :grin:

The training session and intra-club match I viewed, Greeves honestly looked like a fish out of water & I couldn't understate that enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The training session and intra-club match I viewed, (Greeves = Reeves) honestly looked like a fish out of water & I couldn't understate that enough.
Yep, from my viewing of one of his games in 2018 he was easily pushed out of position by much smaller guys.
He may even be a liability in Box Hill’s team let alone Hawthorn’s. He will need a few years in the gym getting muscle and more importantly core strength, a few years building up his aerobic capacity, and non-stop time working with Monkey on body position (scratch that: before Ned get’s bigger it is a waste of Monkey’s time... have Ned running his guts out and then taking 1 grab marks against a 6 foot guy is a starting point: stress marking).
That said, Ned is clearly capable with ball in hand. He kicks the ball beautifully, handpasses well and is quick from hand to foot. He also tackles low and effectively.
Clearly Ned’s height is his number 1 asset: at around 208cm (possibly 209cm), and he looks to have a reasonable jump.

He is the definition of a long term project.

It chafes at my bits to think that if we sign a player like Ned, he can only play in the VFL (which he is not ready for) and not in the development league (which the AFL disbanded). For all of the AFL’s talk about teams developing players, they shut down the league where players could be developed. Not impressed.
I hope that Ned can get special dispensation to play in the elite under-18 Victorian competition in 2019 as an overage player, alongside Austin Bradke from Melbourne. But I will not be holding my breath.

Last edited:
I'm all for the club picking Ned Reeves up for essentially nothing and getting him to spend the next 3-4 years adding some bulk and developing his craft, it's not like 208cm ruckmen that can go forward with the potential that he presents grow on trees.

As for Luke Meadows, I think that we should give the younger brigade in Worpel, Cousins, Morrison and the like, the chance to develop and see what they've got.

I think we're more than likely to find a couple of gems there.

I'm all for the club picking Ned Reeves up for essentially nothing and getting him to spend the next 3-4 years adding some bulk and developing his craft, it's not like 208cm ruckmen that can go forward with the potential that he presents grow on trees.
I agree, we should take a chance with him as the pay off could be huge. But I do wonder if, like with Lachie Langford, if he'd ever have been considered if it weren't for his father's connection to the club.

I agree, we should take a chance with him as the pay off could be huge. But I do wonder if, like with Lachie Langford, if he'd ever have been considered if it weren't for his father's connection to the club.

I definitely agree with what you've raised about family connections, however with no draft picks involved and having the kid on minimum wage, I see nothing but upside.

At least he has shown something, while the aforementioned showed little, if anything.

I definitely agree with what you've raised about family connections, however with no draft picks involved and having the kid on minimum wage, I see nothing but upside.

At least he has shown something, while the aforementioned showed little, if anything.
The price of admission is certainly low, but the ongoing cost (specifically a list spot) for 3-4 years isn't exactly trivial and should be factored into any cost/benefit analysis.

Just to reiterate, I'm definitely on the side of giving him a go as I think there's enough there to warrant a trial on merit alone. I just think it's also worth raising these type of questions to prevent the kind of nepotism that has hurt other clubs.

The price of admission is certainly low, but the ongoing cost (specifically a list spot) for 3-4 years isn't exactly trivial and should be factored into any cost/benefit analysis.

Just to reiterate, I'm definitely on the side of giving him a go as I think there's enough there to warrant a trial on merit alone. I just think it's also worth raising these type of questions to prevent the kind of nepotism that has hurt other clubs.

But he’d be rookied, so outside TPP cap, no? And in terms of ROI, I reckon out 200k into a played to allow him to get the best out of himself over a three year period could be a good investment. If he’s not getting paid then footy will be an amateur gig, which will have to be subsidized by other employment. This means less time for strength, conditioning and ball in hand.

You’re right, it isn’t nothing, but I reckon it’s a worthwhile investment given the unique mix of traits and skills.

But he’d be rookied, so outside TPP cap, no? And in terms of ROI, I reckon out 200k into a played to allow him to get the best out of himself over a three year period could be a good investment. If he’s not getting paid then footy will be an amateur gig, which will have to be subsidized by other employment. This means less time for strength, conditioning and ball in hand.

You’re right, it isn’t nothing, but I reckon it’s a worthwhile investment given the unique mix of traits and skills.
I was referring more so to the list spot itself. In the 3-4 years that it might take him to develop the necessary physique, strength and endurance to even just be considered for an AFL debut we could list and trial 2-4 mature-age state league players. But as it's been said, players with his physical traits don't grow on trees. It's probably worth rolling the dice.

Club will prob put faith in Cousins, Moore and Jones than giving Meadows chances in the early part of the season. If they all fail and Meadows impresses at BHH (right under our noses), then we can pick him up at mid-season draft, albeit as a risk for other teams nabbing him. No reason to pull the trigger now.

Reeves seems quite a few years off, but club looks to have nabbed him already

I was referring more so to the list spot itself. In the 3-4 years that it might take him to develop the necessary physique, strength and endurance to even just be considered for an AFL debut we could list and trial 2-4 mature-age state league players. But as it's been said, players with his physical traits don't grow on trees. It's probably worth rolling the dice.
Yes, this is essentially it, you want as many of the players on the list as you can to be able to contribute that year.

Project players even if very low picks and pay are a risk. You can spend years developing them and they turn into a Luke Bruest or even just a solid player like duryea, suckling or Langford. Or they can be a drain on the club like Willsmore, grimley and lowden (might soon be adding Obrien to the list).

You can take another route and get guys like simpkin, Henderson and Ceglar that really contribute but a lot of those picks flop too (Johnson, macaulay, Pattinson, Ross)

Every list spot is valuable so if you know that a player isn't going to play AFL for a while then you need to be pretty confident that they will eventually get there. Otherwise you can trial 4 mature body players and 1 may stick.

Club will prob put faith in Cousins, Moore and Jones than giving Meadows chances in the early part of the season. If they all fail and Meadows impresses at BHH (right under our noses), then we can pick him up at mid-season draft, albeit as a risk for other teams nabbing him. No reason to pull the trigger now.

Reeves seems quite a few years off, but club looks to have nabbed him already
I thought any Club can nab Luke Meadows in the mid season, even though he is with Boxhill Hawks

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back