Game Day JLT series Game 2 vs Hawthorn - 7:10pm, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

we have more supporters anywhere than norf and hawf put together

Usually, but not this time.

One of the scariest moments of my life was being the runner for an underage football side in a game played before the Hawks in Launnie.
It's 2010 - many hours before the 2PM game and the streets were littered with yellow/brown scarf wearing nuffies. These campaigners were everywhere.

Lol at Hawks fans crying about the umps in the second half. Of course, they turn a blind eye to the umps in the first half.

ez win, only had to try for 15 minutes :drunk:

that 5 minutes where cotch kept strolling out of the middle for easy goals is how the season is going to play out...except we'll have lynch in the forward line as well

good luck opposition lol
AFL will go back to old rule by Rnd 11 after Lynch kicks his ton.

My thoughts:

• Hawthorn played the blueprint to beat us in the first half, same as per last season against the WEagles and in the Prelim. Win contested ball/ first use, be disciplined defensively and force us to bomb long, and then control the air.
  • Without wanting to get into any arguments with any lurking hawks fans that may be around, you can see how they’ll have to play this year to have success. They don’t have as much pure talent as the top teams do (Us, Melbourne, WCE, GWS etc), which was obviously exacerbated by the injuries to Gunston, Mitchell, Wingard etc. To win, the Hawks I feel will have to be so disciplined in their structures whilst the likes of Mitch Lewis, Morrison, Worpel, J Cousins, Hanrahan and these types continue to develop. Think they’ll finish somewhere from 4-8 this season.
  • Was happy with Markov and Menadue’s games. They played their role, and whilst there was really no major opportunity to run and carry and break lines due to the solid defensive structure of the Hawks, a few times were able to use their assets to propel the ball forward. My criticisms of Menadue last season were around imposing himself on the contest, which he did. Yes it is JLT, but a step in the right direction. Think Markov plays round 1, Menadue probably not.
  • Balta; whilst not as impactful as last week, thought he competed very well, whether aerially or in the ruck. Unsurprisingly, I think he’ll be like a Mason Cox type early days. Has patches within games where he turns the tide, but goes missing for large junks. Think you have to play him in round one as your back up ruckman.
  • Baker - don’t think he makes the round 1 team unfortunately, but I really like him. Higgo’s third goal shows that he plays with time and space well, and makes good decisions. Also doesn’t fumble either, which as silly as it may sound, it’s hugely important in today’s game. Think he’ll do well at the highest level and will get game time this year.
  • Butler - bad game from him, but looked more involved than against the Dees. So in some wierd way is a step in the right direction. Think he plays round 1, especially if Rioli play more up the ground than last few seasons. His pace and tackle pressure is high. Better for the run undoubtedly, and hopefully the kinks are all out before round 1.
  • Graham - more offensive role today and it showed for us defensively. Think as a collective our defensive contested structures were a little out of whack, allowing Hawks to bring the ball to the middle, or use their backline ball users through the corridor a lot more easier than we’d like. In saying that, showed that he still can get the footy when required. A key member of the squad, and deservedly will play round 1.
  • Higgo - just a smart footballer. His first and last goal added the mounting evidence that he already sees the game with a sense that few other players have. Was one of the few that could hold their heads high in that first half. In for a big year. My big call for the year is he makes the AA 40 man squad. Needs to improve his entries into I50 IMO however, but he’s just such a natural footballer.
  • Cotch and Graham immense in the 4th quarter through the middle was great. Think we’ve had a good run up to round 1. Scares in Q1 and Q4 against the Dees and the first half against the Hawks should have us not getting too far ahead of ourselves coming into round 1. I’d rather not be coming from 40 points down though to win games in season proper however.
  • Going to be interesting who makes the wing spot, Markov/ Menadue/ Ellis or KMac. Thought McIntosh was better than Ellis’ JLT1, But not by much.
  • Add Caddy and especially Lynch to that team and I think we’d be in a better position to stem or counter those periods where teams get on top of us and force us to bomb the Ball long.

Bring on around 1!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone see the tweet that Ricky Nixon deleted last night?

For those who don't know, ever since Tom Lynch chose Richmond, he has been on a hysterical tirade against all things Richmond as the decision proved he had no idea about player movement.

Last night he was in fine form but it was one particular tweet which was apparently appalling and he was quick to delete it - I'd love to know if anyone took a screenshot.

Here are some of his other melts...

https://twitter.com/rickynixontoot/status/1104312196568211457?s=19

For those who don't know, ever since Tom Lynch chose Richmond, he has been on a hysterical tirade against all things Richmond as the decision proved he had no idea about player movement.

Last night he was in fine form but it was one particular tweet which was apparently appalling and he was quick to delete it - I'd love to know if anyone took a screenshot.

DRUGS!

it has been longer than when Lynch chose us. He was on the bandwagon until about Jan 2018 then he completely turned

#weareeveryonesgrandfinal

That’s why big footy got rid of the hashtag,my statement was close to the bone.

Looks like he hit the bbq pretty hard last night. His mummy and daddy must be proud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back