Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

A few MK diehards fighting their last war continuously. They know the end is in sight. Hope the big boy makes a speedy recovery from yet another injury. He's been a true warrior.

Good game by Phillips today. Can hold his head up high having played against the best Ruckman going around.
Onwards and Upwards with youth.
Bring on 2019.

A few MK diehards fighting their last war continuously. They know the end is in sight. Hope the big boy makes a speedy recovery from yet another injury. He's been a true warrior.

Good game by Phillips today. Can hold his head up high having played against the best Ruckman going around.
Bring on 2019.
Kreuzer is 29
Phillips is 27....

Bring on 2019.
Good game? Wtf? Even a diehard Phillips supporter shouldn't be able to call today a good game, especially after he was belted by an opponent who was rolling around taking it easy after copping a knock to his knee.

Kreuz is absolutely light years ahead of Phillips, dodgy knees and all.

Good game? Wtf? Even a diehard Phillips supporter shouldn't be able to call today a good game, especially after he was belted by an opponent who was rolling around taking it easy after copping a knock to his knee.

Kreuz is absolutely light years ahead of Phillips, dodgy knees and all.
When he plays.

The first quarter drove me crazy. It seemed like every time we kicked the ball, Collingwood marked it. We could not retain possession of the ball from a kick. Would like to see ratio of Carlton kicks to Collingwood intercept marks for 1st quarter.

Collingwood were far to good in the first quarter regardless of the score line. For the whole game they moved the ball far better than Carlton. They strung together possessions much better.

I did like how we stuck at it and continued to pressure them.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quarter time address,

Bolts: Ed, where are you?
Ed: right here mate

Standing right next to him
emoji3.png
Loved it when he said "Ed, where are you big fella"...he's 182cm!!!
Huge man....compared to our wee coach

Bring on 2019.

You have this scenario all wrong.

None of MK, Lobbe or Phillips are part of the future and while they bring different attributes, none suit the modern game.

The sooner we move on, 2 of the above and target a mobile ruck/forward in the 22-26 age bracket, the better

TDK will take some time, but at least his attributes are better suited to the rigors of what is required

Right now, MK is so far ahead of Phillips, it's laughable

I liked Phllips game. Rucked all day on his own basically and went up and down the ground like Kareem Abdul Jabbar. They are getting him match fit so he can play consistently. Not worrying about his game as much as his body right now.
Good guy Kareem. Auctions off his championship rings and NBA memorabilia for charity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/sports/kareem-abdul-jabbar-auction.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great effort today from the younger guys!! Having said that, if it was a regular season game, we likely would have been blown away.

Not a bad thing though....we're still in a development phase, against a much more seasoned, mature, bigger and better settled side than we have at the moment. Compare the lists 5 years onwards and it's an entirely different story.

Recorded the game, and watched it over dinner....relaxing day at Devilbend Golf Course this arvo...so a few late comments....

- Samo looks the goods after his first full pre season. Was great today. Should have a great 2019, with support around him.
- Sam Walsh's work rate is astonishing for a player who still hasn't played a regular season game. Amazing.
- Crippa just seems to pull out new tricks. Genius.
- Setterfield looks like he will be a gem. Still only played 2 games of senior AFL footy, but will team up with Crippa in the mid in no time.
- Some of the older players looked like they need the run. Not unusual for the elder statesmen to ease into the season proper.
- Liam Jones is vital to our back six.....Newman will be just as important. Daisy is the general down there right now in the absence of Doc.
- Weiters was a rock down back. Threw himself into every contest, and his 2nd and 3rd contests were sensational.
- Plowman continually demonstrates he is not in our best 22...struggles against talls or smalls. Can't wait until Marchy and Willo are back up and running.
- Garlett looked far more dangerous as a half forward in the 2nd half. Not a half back....
- Krooz is so important to our team structure. We desperately need to draft/recruit another young ruck to develop while we still have him on our list.
- Charlie had a Barry Crocker, but so do all young up and coming guns. We just expect so much from them every week. Once MM finds his niche up forward, working in tandem with H and Charlie, they will become a force. Like everything, we need patience.
- Cuners was brilliant at times, still needs to do it more often and consistently....looks way more confident now though, and no longer looks like a boy playing against the big boys.
- Gibbo tried his guts out like a man on a mission. Still looks like he's coming to grips with the pace, but WILL improve as the season goes on. Even if he spends time at VFL level, will be important for the development of our kids.

All up, it was all about effort today, which was excellent. We're still a fair way behind the big guns of the AFL, but loved our competitiveness, and we didn't throw in the towel at any time during the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having just watched the replay I've got Polson ahead of Gibbons for the small forward position, Imo his game offers us more both inside the fwd50 and further up the ground, just needs too get his disposal by foot right. We can't play both against the tigers.
Fasolo has to come back in for the opener, he has the smarts and class, dangerous around goal...

I really loved Jones and Weitering (as I did in game 1), they are both looking really confident down back. My big criticism of Jones is that he can sometimes show no respect for his opponent and gift wraps goals, but he’s playing with a good combo of defence/attack, I’m really liking his game.

Cuningham is looking more and more confident with each game, we will be a better team if he can stay fit and play all year.

I’m really hoping big Kreuzer can get up for round 1, he would be a big boost for the team.

I really loved Jones and Weitering (as I did in game 1), they are both looking really confident down back. My big criticism of Jones is that he can sometimes show no respect for his opponent and gift wraps goals, but he’s playing with a good combo of defence/attack, I’m really liking his game.

Cuningham is looking more and more confident with each game, we will be a better team if he can stay fit and play all year.

I’m really hoping big Kreuzer can get up for round 1, he would be a big boost for the team.
As much as it would be good to have Kreuze playing in Round 1, it has been so long since he has kicked a footy in anger, he'd run out of legs by about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Two JLT game sample:

Best 22 and improved: SPS, Weitering, McKay
Moved into best 22: Cuningham, Garlett
Recruited and best 22: Setterfield, Newman, McGovern
Drafted and best 22: Walsh

Best 22 and tracking well after injury in 2018: Murphy, Fisher, Jones, Plowman

Handy depth: Phillips, Polson, JSOS, LO’b, Kennedy

Can anyone tell me what position Paddy Dow played all game yesterday. He done some really nice things but didn't accumulate as much disposal as you would of liked.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

How is it, that in the age of the draft, where every under 18 draft prospect comes to the attention of all 18 clubs, Collingwood manage to fill their team with a bunch of tattooed bogans? Some people say the hate isn't there, anymore. I say open your eyes and see the Filth before you.

LOL!

What I got out of today was that in a few years time, we are going to have a ridiculously good midfield.

That Pies mid group was seasoned. Pendles (277 games, 31), Treloar (139 games, 26), Sidebottom (211 games, 28), Beams (168 games, 29), Adams (120 games, 25).

Average 175 games there, and around 27 or so years on average. Right in their prime.

They had Mayne as well, but Im not including him as he's playing the same role Ed is for us.

Our midfield was Cripps (81 games, 23), Walsh (0 games, 18), Setterfield (2 games, 21), SPS (42 games, 21), Dow (20 games, 19), Fisher (34 games, 20).

Average of around 30 games, and an average age under 21.

We were outclassed in the middle (for the above reasons) but when you factor in they had Grundy rucking to them all day, we held our own pretty well for such a young and inexperienced midfield.

The defenders did well too considering that midfield entry. Our forward pressure was good in patches (it still needs some work) but our forward line is still a shambles.

The three talls arent working together, creating space for each other and so on. They're leading into each other and over the top of each other.

Im not sure what we can do to fix that other than experience playing together.

Still a few years off it as a team, but the foundation is there.

Best thing I got out of what I saw was I thought the team did not play well overall, however, what i did like is they did seem to play out the game properly which is a habit I need to see.
Individually really impressed with way Weitering looking again, McKay coming along nicely and Cuningham in front half has a knack of knowing when goals are within reach. Totally unconvinced on Garlett down back but do not mind them having a look during JLT. I was annoyed he did not tackle several plays and I want a defender to know when to tackle. He does not have that about him. Too loose for mine but wing or forward, still want to see them give him time to see what he can do offensively.

Hard to know still what to expect this year other than improvement. How much improvement in terms of wins is hard to work out as we may start winning more games as season gets into gear and lots of players still not played with each other heaps build some synergy.

But if I was to name number of wins that would satisfy in terms of improvement, I'd like enough progression after 22 rounds to have about 10 wins.
But if we win only 8 but show lots of good progress and exciting play I will not be upset at rate of improvement.

The team just isn't playing as a team yet and that's not because they don't want to but the dots aren't connecting easily for now.

Confident this group will start putting the pieces together and start clocking up the numbers the Collingwood mids can do, sooner than later.

Bring on 2019.

I think criticism of Phillips is over the top BUT Kruezer is still our best Ruckman and will be once fit

I don't appreciate my opinion being repeatedly summarised as something so petty, nor black and white. I put a fair amount (perhaps stupid amount) of effort into clarifying my point of view, so to be described in such a way just because it's a critical point of view is nothing short of conceited.

Throwing that kind of comment around waters down the positivity and perspective you often add to the conversation. The club didn't haul itself out of the s**t through blind optimism, and that job isn't done.

Jimmae. Who said I was referring to you, although in regards to Phillips I think your continual criticism of him is over the top.

Not sure what blind optimism has to do with it? No one is saying Phillips is a star but last week he was good and today average. Kruezer is easily the better ruck when fit but give the guy a break. I’d also like to assess him more when he can get a good run of games under him. Played less than 40 games. Not much for a ruck. Still a lot to learn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back