Review Rd 1, 2019: Freo destroy the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm rapt for you guys onto top of the Brisbane game I reckon your w/end was even better for you guys than for us
.......and ours was pretty good. The 6-6-6 has forced our Ken into a more dynamic style maybe the same for Lyon?
Anyway i'm outta here but well done lads. Enjoy your week
Thanks for that, I guess a perfect weekend for you too. At least we can listen to the radio and read the paper this week, it’s been a pretty torrid few over here for Freo.

The actual 6 up front changes all game so its more you drop from the side. IF McCarthy continues with this effort, I think our best 6 up front is
Walters Cox McCarthy
Switta Hogan Lobb

I'd be dropping Colyer from the side as a whole. Banfield and others to rotate through
That's a little controversial.

Taberner would be harshly done by.

Colyer was decent, and better than Cerra, or is Cerra protected now?

Cerra's use and clean hands meant whenever he was near it he appeared to make something happen. Colyer's big contribution was making the space for North disappear with hard running, if he had clean hands and elite kicking we'd never get him for a 4th round pick.

Genuine question: what was the big difference in the game plan from the past few years to today? The main difference I saw was that we had players playing in their natural position and the player’s understood their role, executing the game plan? It seemed like a high pressure, well structured team with good skills was the difference between kicking 141 points and 40 points for a game? And we did t take the foot off the pedal at half time; we had 75 points and finished with 141.

Musings

*Darcy worked into the game and made some nice subtle blocks in the forward line for lobb and tabs to mark (he is ideal for this in getting his big frame in the way)
*7 tackles for brad hill is a good sign as tackling has been a real weak point of his.
*Mccarthy and tucker best on for me followed by fyfe and hill - good to see some members of the re-build taking the lead
*North got alot of soft free kicks
*North were very poor with there disposal - especially early in the game
*Good to see Mundy back in the middle
*Hughes and Ballas the only 2 who had down games evreyone else contributed

With how McCarthy was today, I think there is room for Lobb, Hogan, Cox/Tabs and himself since I see him as a different player to the other 4, especially if he brings the same pressure each week.
How unfamiliar is it to have this kind of thing as a discussion point.

I think two genuine tall forwards (one being 2nd ruck), plus a much more mobile tall works nicely. SSo for me that's Hogan, Lobb and McCarthy. That's harsh on Xox and Taberner, but them's the breaks.

After that, I want as much speed as possible coming in to the forward line, Switkowski and hopefully Sturt for the longterm. Bring the pressure game. I would actively resist slower players unless they are reliable goal scorers.

Can some tactically astute explain the differences. As I was watching it felt like a typical Ross game plan when the players buy in and execute.
I'm probably dead wrong but I wouldn't mind a detailed explanation of the differences.

some nice subtle blocks in the forward line for lobb and tabs to mark
This was massive, he lead at the ball and put himself right between the other tall and the opposition but didn't get called for a free against.

Really smart, maybe a bit lucky. So much better than Hogan and Lobb running into each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a little controversial.

Taberner would be harshly done by.

Colyer was decent, and better than Cerra, or is Cerra protected now?
Haha I'm getting pulled up on all sides. I have said earlier on that it will be hard for Cox to get in the side if Tabs plays that well every game since you shouldnt be pushed out if playing well. fnerd comes and says Cox is under-rated here and is best 22 and he should be in the team.

For what its worth. I think Cox is a better player and has a much high ceiling BUT Tabs should not be dropped if he keeps playing this well. I did post my best 6 forwards though, not team for next week, there is a difference. I also think Tabs will have to prove himself against a team that isnt missing most of its key defensive players by the end of the 1st qtr, but again, IF he keeps performing, he keeps his spot.

I dont think I'd be able to split Colyer and Cerra much and Cerra is younger and has about 10 x the potential. He stays.

Can some tactically astute explain the differences. As I was watching it felt like a typical Ross game plan when the players buy in and execute.
I'm probably dead wrong but I wouldn't mind a detailed explanation of the differences.
We kept players lateral of the contest and they worked hard forward. We had players front and centre of the marking contests.

Congrats fellas, sensational and well-deserved win though I am extremely annoyed the value of that 3rd round pick Brisbane have from you doesn't look like it will be high ;)

Great to see McCarthy play well too - easy to forget how good he was early on for GWS and hopefully he can recapture that form in tandem with your other power forwards!

This was massive, he lead at the ball and put himself right between the other tall and the opposition but didn't get called for a free against.

Really smart, maybe a bit lucky. So much better than Hogan and Lobb running into each other.
He's sort of the perfect size for it - big frame but not overly tall so he doesn't stand out like sandi does in a pack and get pinged when not going for the mark.

It's hard to tell on TV but I reckon we were a lot more direct. Less chipping around the backline (almost none really) or switching. It was basically take the game at speed, through the corridor if available or go fast down the line to a contest. Don't hold the ball up at any point. Previously we would like to hold up to force a contest where we could get a stoppage (2012-2015) or in the last few years we would look to switch if we couldn't move forward.

I reckon it resembles Richmond the most but a little more structured. They are gung-ho, go forward however you can.

How unfamiliar is it to have this kind of thing as a discussion point.

I think two genuine tall forwards (one being 2nd ruck), plus a much more mobile tall works nicely. SSo for me that's Hogan, Lobb and McCarthy. That's harsh on Xox and Taberner, but them's the breaks.

After that, I want as much speed as possible coming in to the forward line, Switkowski and hopefully Sturt for the longterm. Bring the pressure game. I would actively resist slower players unless they are reliable goal scorers.
I can see this point of view 100% and if I'm being honest with myself, I might be shoe-horning Cox in because I rate him so so highly. The only reason I think it could work is that Cox and Hogan provide very good pressure for big guys (average overall) and are very mobile so we dont lose to much on the ground ball by playing Cox over another small.

We might be getting ahead of ourselves with McCarthy but my God it would make a difference if we arent...

Genuine question: what was the big difference in the game plan from the past few years to today? The main difference I saw was that we had players playing in their natural position and the player’s understood their role, executing the game plan? It seemed like a high pressure, well structured team with good skills was the difference between kicking 141 points and 40 points for a game? And we did t take the foot off the pedal at half time; we had 75 points and finished with 141.
Not sure that players are playing in their natural positions Wally.

Tucker isn't a natural tagger.
Lobb is a ruckman masquerading as a forward.
I noticed Cerra on BBBrown at one stage.
Fyfe and Mundy are clearly Best In Show in the midfield, but sure those are their natural positions, but more that they are natural footballers.
Walters in the midfield was critical, but most just want him forward.
Ryan kicked our first goal of the season.

When people talk about natural positions they seem to refer to what they played before being drafted, but I think that is not reflective of what happens at AFL level.

Felt like there were 3 key parts to the plan, 1) go back to 2013 levels of pressuring the ball carrier off a zone to force the turnover, 2) when you have the ball, move it forward quickly (emulating the last few years of premiers) and 3) lock it in the forward 50 by giving them nowhere to get it out (using zone and kpp on the flanks and in the corridor). So bit of old school Ross with new attacking at all costs flair when you have the ball. Hopefully the boys can keep it up all season because it'd require a lot of run but they managed it for four quarters today. Looked buggered by the end though. Just my observations.

Cerra's use and clean hands meant whenever he was near it he appeared to make something happen. Colyer's big contribution was making the space for North disappear with hard running, if he had clean hands and elite kicking we'd never get him for a 4th round pick.
Don’t underestimate the assists from Colyer, that handball to Brad Hill for a goal was classy, and there were a few other team oriented things he did. I think he stays in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back