Review Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like Sheed to be at most stoppages but then roam as an outside player. Whereas I want Gaff getting handball receives and uncontested marks using his running abilities and kicking skills under less pressure. He has clean hands and some good handballs but I think he's playing more inside than he was last year, or at least seams to have less space.

Whilst it’s unlikely that we will ever get the “best 22” onfield - but if willie was available last night - who makes way?

Is it one of Allen/Petch in a like for like

Or is it Masten with Gaff playing more wing and Sheed more guts (sheed started a lot i50 yesterday)

I do worry with Allen in the side and our penchant for 2 rucks that we become very tall up front - despite our talls chasing

That was a very uncomfortable watch. Felt like we were trying to run in quicksand for the whole match and we just weren't able to break free.

Freo were able to dictate the pace of the game and play it on their terms. They showed the way to beat us. Teams that try and out gun us are going to come off second best more often than not but ole Capt Buzzkill Ross just says nah, we'll clip our wings and wallow in the gutter, but we'll clip yours too and you'll be coming with us and if we're close enough at the end after we've strangled the life out of you, we might sneak a win. He is the place where exciting, absorbing footy games go to die.

With our somewhat tall line up and our game plan that requires a high possession, pin point disposal type game, they showed that by dragging us in to the dour, suffocating, shitful tempo that is Ross led, we are vulnerable. They were able to create a lot of pressure with that godawful zone sort of set up where they don't necessarily tackle but they fill space and stifle the more free flowing style of game played by teams like us.

Truly one of the more ugly matches I've seen but I suppose that could be said for just about any game where Ross is at the helm.

A positive is that we were able to grind out the win even though no where near our best. I think we'll learn some good lessons from that match. Another 4 points in the bank and on to next week.
Freo blocked WC players going for the mark as well as pushed them under the ball all game but WC barely received any free kicks for it. So yes its a good strategy to employ, if umpires are not going to do their job properly

Yep, pure defensive set up to stop us.
Need to lift and get the game back on our terms when this happens. Too many passengers last night who weren't willing to put their body on the line when it mattered. The work ethic went MIA a bit last night. Need to learn how to handle humid and greasy conditions better. That's my take on the game!

I actually really enjoy watching Hickey play.

It's fascinating. Sometimes he does some brilliant things which make me blink, other times he's a total spud. Very erratic.

Team high 7 clearances is encouraging. Really like the way he takes the ball out of the ruck himself. Yet to see Vardy do that once TBH.
Think Hickey will be 2nd ruck once Nic is back in full flight as IMO Vardy is more of a forward/ruck as Hickey is a genuine ruck. Vardy seems to be a bit off at the moment?

Think Hickey will be 2nd ruck once Nic is back in full flight as IMO Vardy is more of a forward/ruck as Hickey is a genuine ruck. Vardy seems to be a bit off at the moment?

Vardy is very off at the moment. If nothing changes it will be Hickey and Naita once he's back. Vardy needs to work on his marking too. Drops everything not on his chest even when he gets clean hands to it.

Vardy is very off at the moment. If nothing changes it will be Hickey and Naita once he's back. Vardy needs to work on his marking too. Drops everything not on his chest even when he gets clean hands to it.

Vardy is just an average player who has an occassional good game. He is fine as a back up but i prefer Hickey every day each week, especially if we are playing Kennedy, Darling and Oscar.

Vardy is just an average player who has an occassional good game. He is fine as a back up but i prefer Hickey every day each week, especially if we are playing Kennedy, Darling and Oscar.

I think Vardy was great for his role in 17/18 but he's been out of form so far in every game. I wonder if the rain does come as predicted next week that we drop Vardy and play a small with Allen pinch hitting in the ruck. The rain should negate the influence of Lycett/Ryder.

+ Defense really saving us, Hurn in particular
+ Rotham was really solid
+ 4 points
+ Cheering Gaff has seemed to ruffle some feathers
+ Petch's 2 goals

- Masten
- Tall forwards were very rusty
- The umpiring. My god the umpiring. I don't even care that we lost the free count. It's getting so bad that i'm considering only watching Eagles games from here on out. At one point I just gave up on calling for frees, they have completely lost all sense of what the game used to be and are now solely focused on paying the extremely tiny infringements based on new interpretations the AFL comes up on a week by week basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 goals to 0, first quarter of the first derby of 2015. The Dockers eyeing off an even 21-21 derby split for the first ever time in the second match of 2015.

Then we won 8 straight, and won a flag in the meantime, while Freo is stuck with Lyon who recruited two big money forwards and is playing them in the ruck and midfield. Who saw a rampaging round one Dockers team and immediately put a pin in that exciting football.

Fold Ross and be done with it.

Both teams felt like losers today. But in another, more accurate way, Fremantle were the losers as they often are. Take the four points and run.

God our forward line was dreadful. How JK and JD ended up with three each I’ll never know. Petch faded, Allen was down, and Cripps and Ryan were non entities. The whole forward line looked terribly disorganised at times, too many flying one time and no one flying another.

No ground cover for ground ball - our small forwards we're non-existant, and too few. We are out of whack without Willie.

The Roos Lyon style of suffercating play will never be good enough to beat good teams
WCE always had the game in their control and were never in danger of loosing
It’s just the game as a spectacle that suffers
Lyon believes that a close loss protects his arse and that is enough for him

Rotham looks like a solid player, been impressed with his coolness.

Concerned with our forward set up, Ryan and Petch should of had a birthday tonight, the ball was bombed in there and came to ground on numerous occasions yet the two of them no where to be seen apart from a couple of efforts in the first quarter.
It is their job to be roving the packs and they were both waiting on the outside for the one over the top.
Forward line was poor in general, all leading to the same place, all flying for the same mark, none of them trying to spread the defence. Yes some of our kicking was average into the forward line but it’s also hard for the mids if the forwards don’t work hard and spread. Played straight into Fremantle hands.

Got the 4 points and really that’s all that matters at this time of the year, keep banking wins. Still have way to many players not contributing over 4 quarters and leaving the heavy lifting to others.
Well placed we are after round 4 but we have lots to do to get better.

Lyon put almost all his players in a massive zone on our HHF spanning the entire ground .

He just let us kick it around our backline as much as we wanted as their forward opposition was back in the zone .

Dockers went in with a very small side and whenever we kick it into that zone with the slippery conditions it would hit the deck and their smalls would swarm on it and run it out by hand .

If we kicked it over the zone it would create long high forward entries where ross had put an extra player .

With the slippery conditions it was almost impossible to take a contested mark in our forward line.

Ross nullified our game plan at the expensive of his own side kicking a decent score .

That ugly footy was 80% ross lyons fault and 20% slippery conditions
With respect, I don't see your point. My point was that we were good enough to work our way out of the congestion and shitfight and then fluffed it...time after time. That wasn't Ross's tactics or Freo's pressure. That was unforced errors. That game should've been sealed up at quarter time. But we left the door ajar.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

The Roos Lyon style of suffercating play will never be good enough to beat good teams
Maybe, but it could easily have beaten us last night, seeing as last night we were not a good team.

Despite being one of the worst derbies ever (I actually re-watched it as soon as I got home just to confirm it was as s**t as it seemed at the ground. And yes, it really was), I still got some positives from it.
+ After a good 2nd half last week, we got a good whole game from Shep. He's back and that's great.
+ Yeo & Redden seem to be slowly getting back to their best
+ Hickey still provides plenty of LOLWTF moments but overall I thought he was really effective, and vital in getting us over the line
+ Entire forward line was dysfunctional but we still got the 4 points
+ Rothum built nicely on last week's solid debut
+ So did Gaff
+ Our Captain. Just superb. If we'd had Jetta helping him deliver the ball from defence it might have been a very different game.

- Not liking the way we handle dewey conditions. With loads of evening fixtures coming up, we need to learn to take some of the cute stuff out of our repertoire and go back to basics when it's a bit slippery.
- The crowd noise. Shame on us when we boo. But now also shame on us when we cheer. Everyone please sit in silence from now on so as not to offend and outrage anyone. FFS what a joke. I couldn't have told you the first thing about Mrs Pav before last night, yet now I suddenly feel like I know everything I need to know about her.

also am I the only one kind of worried about Kennedy? he looked a bit sluggish/sore
Played less than 3 quarters today, maybe sore, definitely managed.

He still is crucial to our team though in his current state. Perhaps we need another mid/small to help clear out space and cover some ground as Allen and JK had less tackles and pressure acts combined than Darling provided.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back