Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Piss off Jeff Kennett. Flog is still a pathological liar it seems.

This is what Kennett said on 3AW this morning:
“I’ve been speaking to some Geelong people who were saying Geelong supporters were behind them were booing him,” Kennett told Tony Jones on 3AW.
“You can’t measure it, all you can know is that the volume was quite intense.”
‘You can’t measure it’ is Kennett code for ‘I will never be able to substantiate what I have just said...’

Our season so far is a 8/10.
No worries there.

I simply thought we just got the job done. This was an opportunity to trample them.
That's all.
I agree with this but not that we should be disappointed with the game. It was a solid if unspectacular win.

Fitting in Tuohy to our current defensive mix is tricky. He's better than Clark at this stage of their respective careers, but I'd be reticent to lose the point of difference Clark offers us with his ability to run and carry.

I agree Clark has to play because he's such a classy prospect and we need to fast track him but he is poor defensively dont play him in a back pocket. Play Tuohy there and put Clark on the wing.

We can win games with our 2 KF's providing nothing yesterday, let's be patient, you can sense it coming.
I always felt Sav should have started this year at VFL level, but he is a project player, and they have a plan in action. Is it ok to tell him now it's not working? When the structure actually is working... After all, it's about a functional forward line, creating space for many scoring options, and that's what Hawk and Sav are doing.

I get where youare coming from structure wise and its valid but you cant average 6 touches and no impact and keep getting picked in a top 8 side come finals...i would rather drop him now than at rnd 20 when its late in the piece. I also think his confidence will do better finding form in the vfl and coming back a better player...how does playing so badly in the 1s help build his confidence?

Tuohy is quality and there's no question he comes back into the side. The question is at whose expense does that happen?

Clark OConnor Henry or Atkins probably. Tuohy is a lock.

Ever the optimist.

If we'd lost to Collingwood, your opinion wouldn't be that it was a meaningless game.

It's Geelong and Hawthorn, if any regular fan has learnt anything from the past decade, they would know form and personnel often count for nothing in these games. We got pushed and pushed back harder to win comfortably. These games are never easy to win, not many are at this level anymore.

As I said, it's a small sample, but you can only beat who you play, and we've done it twice. We're only five weeks in to the season, there is still plenty to work on, but we're 4-1 and top of the ladder. If you can't be happy with that after our tough start to the year, when can you be happy?

I suspect it's going to be another season of goalpost shifting from yourself.

Very early season games are meaningless because the skills aren't up to scratch, they have very little to do with finals games. For a contested side that does well against teams that bomb it forward and/or high turnovers we are at a significant advantage in lower skilled games.

So because Hawthorn were missing a whole heap of important players the game still matters cos hey the games are normally close?

You just said that our big ground problem has been addressed, so I don't know what that has got to do with me being happy or unhappy about the teams progress this season? I just said the big ground problem hasn't been addressed.

Our ball movement out of defence is still poor(extremely dependent on Clark) and our midfield defends poorly against teams with good run and carry.

Have you got examples of goal post shifting? cos otherwise it's just a bs saying by people without an argument

I don't rate April premierships, especially when they turn into first quarter prelim thrashings.

I agree Clark has to play because he's such a classy prospect and we need to fast track him but he is poor defensively dont play him in a back pocket. Play Tuohy there and put Clark on the wing.

Need the run and carry out of defence.

Tuohy doesn't have the same pace or agility.

Really need both Tuohy and Clark down back and although Clark isn't the best defensively he needs to be persisted with. Teams who can't get the ball out of defence dont win many finals.

Would rather see Clark give up a few goals over seeing Blicavs and Kolo being put under a lot of pressure and shanking it out on the full/turning it over when the pressure goes up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark OConnor Henry or Atkins probably. Tuohy is a lock.

I know he's a lock, hence why I said "there's no question he comes back into the side". I'm not claiming he isn't best 22, just simply observing that it's tricky to decide who he replaces.

I agree that the four you mention are the most likely candidates.

Hawkins little push was to the shoulder blade, not even close to the kidneys. Not sure where Derm's kidneys are, maybe they got relocated after Yates gave him a love tap. Sicily is a flopper.

Any mention from the Fox Footy boys of Sicily's grab at Gazza's pills at 3qtr time? Perhaps he was hoping some class would rub off on him.

Hawthorn fans also had a sook about Rohan pushing Roughead in the chest, perhaps they should look at the vision imeediately prior where roughhead drove Rohans head into the turf.

Good to see their plethora of 3 game members failed to rock up today, their members section was half empty. #brokenbandwagon #DingleyVillageDunnyBlock
Great post footstar! Please keep them coming. + welcome to BF ☺️

Fitting in Tuohy to our current defensive mix is tricky. He's better than Clark at this stage of their respective careers, but I'd be reticent to lose the point of difference Clark offers us with his ability to run and carry.
One thing is for rebound 50's, we have Stewart leading with 48, then the next highest are a couple on 18 if I remember correctly. Clark is doing okay in that respect for a youngster - might even be best of the rest right now. However Touhy will still give us more drive from back there. Not quite in the sense of running, bouncing, speed balling it out of there - but another good ball user back there who gets more than 10 touches a game will be handy to complement the rest. I also think while it isn't exactly a strength of Touhy's, he's still more solid defensively at this stage and will help reduce the amount of crumbing goals getting kicked against us from spills.

I do like Clark, but there's no huge rush to make him play the vast majority of games this season. 10-12 would still be a great first up year in my opinion.

Where was Jeff Kennett? As a former teacher who survived the nightmare years when he was stuffing up education in Victoria, I love seeing him looking miserable when we beat Hawthorn.

Not sure if this is mentioned further on in this thread (on Page 4 now) but Kennett has thrown some :poo: suggesting the reason the crowd booed Ablett was because he liked Folau's Instagram post. He tried to stir up further drama by saying that Geelong supporters were booing Gaz too! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Then made some quick steps to try to be the 'good guy' by saying that booing is unacceptable + Gaz just kept getting better.

It just seems a blatant attempt to distract from the issue that Hawks lost. Although, Kennett said Hawks' fans don't boo good players 😹😹😹 Who is he kidding? To try to deflect from their loss by stirring up :poo: + saying Geelong supporters booed Ablett is pathetic. Typical Hawks flog!

Why would Geelong supporters boo Ablett? We gave him a standing ovation when he kicked that goal from the Ablett pocket playing for the Suns. I cannot think of a Geelong player who our supporters have booed when playing in the Hoops. We did boo Colbert, because of his poor behaviour leaving Geelong.

Clark will go out for tuohy
That's easy.

I like Clark. But tuohy has the nous to play on anyone.

Kolo is a strange beast for me. In that 1st quarter he was our best back. And we were under the pump.
Starting to think he's a piece of the jigsaw that can't be removed.

Henry probably can right now.

He's a lock, isn't he - has amazing awareness to make things happen and loves a goal. Look like we have another Stevie J. for the next 10 years.
Miers' foot work is a beauty to behold, the way he shimmies around players + gets into position is fantastic to watch. I'm utterly stoked by his ability, agility + good thinking. Love him to bits!

I get where youare coming from structure wise and its valid but you cant average 6 touches and no impact and keep getting picked in a top 8 side come finals...i would rather drop him now than at rnd 20 when its late in the piece. I also think his confidence will do better finding form in the vfl and coming back a better player...how does playing so badly in the 1s help build his confidence?
Because he has been given these continuous games despite his form, it suggests they have a plan for him, plus they are willing to let him develop and it also suggests they are happy with his training and endeavour.
If we were struggling, maybe VFL, but his teammates enjoy him being out there, and even in the 3RD Q, he chased down a player, caused a turnover, and a goal resulted.
He hits packs, he creates . Rohan only averages 6 disposals a game, and he's been around for 10 seasons.
Sure, he's kicking goals, but finally we have a true potential replacement for your man, I think persevere with him until he actually is fatigued or goes backwards, or we lose.

I'd been ok with Wonderboy until then. But then he said Hawkins whacked Foreskin in the kidneys. Sheesh.

OMG!!! I just love this, you really tickled my funny bone! Hilarious! Cannot give it enough 'Likes'

The media's role in this GAJ Instagram post-liking "story" (I use that term loosely) is resprehensible. A completely artificial outrage manufactured by the media, then reported on as if it the "issue" sprung up independently of them and they played no role in its genesis. Pathetic.

It's a shameless and transparent attempt to whip up outrage. The disingenuousness of their way the story is being reported is nauseating.

Further, GAJ explained why he liked Folau's post in his Easter IG post. Now Kennett has jumped on the bandwagon NFI why!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back