Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is potting Billings?

He was great today along with Dunstan, kept us in it.

If I pot anyone it will be Gresham and Acres, like Billings and Dunstan they are top 20 picks, but they don't work hard enough.

Acres is the one for me. He just doesn't seem to have any mongrel in him.

Acres is overrated by BF posters, happy to trade him to WC or Freo for anyone wanting to come home to Vic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Acres would be a star at West Coast where they could utilise his talent, he would get screwed by Freo, Lyon would try and turn him into a run with tagger.

Gresham isn't living up to his potential either, Richo is smothering their talent, at other clubs they would be superstars.

Don't hate the players, hate the coach.

Richo has to go.

We played well today for 3/4 yet got blown away in the last by Collingwoods leaders. Going to take time and experience before we get to that level. I am happy with where we are at. Lot better then last year!

I know this probably isn't going to be a popular opinion on here at the moment, but...

I honestly don't think we're as far away from being a really competitive, solid side as what many of you guys think.

Clearly, our method is much improved on last year and by and large has stood up pretty well - even against the measuring stick teams of the comp.

Obviously there are a issues (the big ones being our forward fifty entries, our conversion and our consistency).

But I think there are more positives than negatives.

It goes without saying but we've obviously got a long list of key mature players out who will give us an instant boost (plus some good talent coming through).

And we've taken a big step forward off the park with the addition of new people.

This year is a development year. After the sediment has settled and we've figured out our best team (both in personnel and positions) I'm pretty optimistic about where we're headed.

Is this the re-re-re build 50 year plan?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might as well, if we’re going to persist with playing him as out of position as Chris Mayne in a beauty contest
Eeeeeewwww! Now that does not bear thinking about! :oops:
Can you imagine that contest? It would have to be a beauty contest for who looks the most like the Toxic Avenger! :tired:
Just like Richo's former heartthrob team mates in Shane Kerrison and Mick Gayfer! Tis where the coach developed his obsession for the
Not so Good, The very Bad and the hideously Ugly!

Just look at the blokes on the outer at some stage within the Cho's last 18 months of infamy!
Dunstan...Acres.....Billings.....Clark.....Coffield.....White....Lonie ....Bruce and even Rice! All have shown they require the heart, soul and passion
For the club to build the team around! Yet who does he have as his favourite untouchables? The complete opposites in Ross....Newnes.....Sinclair.....Phillips
And previously Mav! Look what he has done with Steele as well! Another who suffers from an undefined role!

I swear the freckle must think he is still in charge of the Rams down at East Burwood as that is the level he is still coaching at!

Given where our list is at, we played some good footy today. Failing to convert obviously hurt us big time.

Let's not forget, Collingwood are a bloody good football side.
Whilst justifiable, I do find the whole conversation interesting.

Firstly, we played a team who is super talented.

Secondly, you take a look at our list in terms of experience.

Thirdly, you look at our pedestrian midfield.

Not making excuses, but the fact is that we took it up to them for 3/4 of the game, as we did last week and the week before.

IMO, we are very competitive.

People pointing the finger everywhere but truth is our current coaching is quite solid and it appears it's the lack of A grade players that's stopping us.

Please note, I said coaching, not coach.

And I don't think anything will change until we address our list issues.

Lonie was excellent at spreading and giving an outlet kick before his injury, think they've moved Sinclair into the role but he's not as effective..
We have really missed Lonie. If you have told me with 6 weeks to go last year that without him, our forward line would look much less threatening and our link between mid and forward would diminish, I would have laughed. But we are a lesser team without him right now. Also, since he has been out of the team, we haven't really threatened at ground level in the forward line. Another part of his game I think we all underestimated.

Sinclair was fantastic last week in that role but wasn't noticeable today. Height need a few more weeks before he settles into the role completely because there're glimpses where he can threaten in a similar way as Lonie, with a bit less pressure but with classier possession. I wouldn't be dropping him this week but he needs to become more consistent.

Nate brown - key defender / full back
Seb ross - our prime mid - centre bounce king
Josh Bruce - key forward / #1 i50 target

We'll be a much better side when we aren't relying on these guys to win games.
Seb desperately needs help in the midfield. I get a good laugh when people claim he isnt an AFL quality mid because he is, and a very good one. But he needs another gun player in there to help him take some of the load and responsiblity from him.

While he has been turning the ball over more, part of that it because he is one of our few mids who will actually kick it instead of just hand balling to someone else under pressure. Or he is one of the few mids who will actually kick it long into the forward line under pressure. There were a few examples against West Coast where he did great, lace out kicks to forwards who just didn't lead into the space. But he is the one who cops it because the ball didn't hit the target.

Steele needs to lift his work rate and take some of the offensive load in the midfield instead of just shutting down an opponent. Dunstan played great today but who knows whether he will keep it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like 3 more years of headless chicken government coming up, similar to the headless chicken Saints sadly. Richo's pressers are sounding very much like an endless loop year after year.
Completely agree.. Sick of hearing for the last 5 years how we played well at times but just let ourselves down in other areas.
When is he going to take responsibility and say that this isn’t acceptable anymore and we shouldn’t be happy with the results? And actually go out and induce change.
Sick and tired of hearing the same dribble and seeing the same coach and player mistakes year in year out.

can't coach auskick... yet he won 2 WAFL flags and made 3 grand final in a row. the last of which was heavily stacked with AFL talent on the opposition. he then was the backline assistance coach in a premiership year.

he had a better pedigree than alan richardson. he just didn't have the experience behind him like richo did.
He is also an absolute clown that should never have been given the opportunity to coach an AFL side. Thought too highly of himself. Didn't follow club orders, thought he knew it all. Treated our best players like absolute rubbish and deserved to be sacked.

What a laugh tonight has been with people wanting him back! Goodness me

Seb desperately needs help in the midfield. I get a good laugh when people claim he isnt an AFL quality mid because he is
I envy all the mirth you have ahead of you.
Composure and ball-in-hand nouse are so poor, especially forward of centre. How good is Sidebottom? Not sure Seb's not AFL standard, but pretty sure he and Sidebottom don't belong in the same comp. That guy would still be a gun one level up.

A side that can draft and develop midfield talent vs a side that can't.

Got what we deserve

In the era of the mammals we went for dinosaurs. The midfield rules modern footy and we’ve spent all our time chasing half backs.

Composure and ball-in-hand nouse are so poor, especially forward of centre. How good is Sidebottom? Not sure Seb's not AFL standard, but pretty sure he and Sidebottom don't belong in the same comp. That guy would still be a gun one level up.
Seb does have composure and good vision with ball in hand. Didnt have his best day but how anyone could say he isn't a good midfielder is laughable.

Sidebottom was fantastic today. Easily BOG for mine. Probably his best game for the year. And just like Seb, has had fantastic games this year and games where he didnt really impact much. Sidebottom is a better player overall but it's also much easier to perform well when you have other A grade midfielders on the field to help support, take attention from the opposition, kick to etc. And when Sidebottom doesn't play a great game, he has teammates who actually stand up and help cover him so his underwhelming performance is less noticeable - right now Seb doesn't have that luxury.

Although I am as pissed as anyone about how the team folded in the last quarter, here is some perspective of where we actually are at.

Average Attributes
Collingwood Attribute St Kilda
188.0cm Height 187.5cm
87.0kg Weight 86.4kg
26yr 8mth Age 24yr 2mth
120.6 Games 64.6

Total Players By Games
Collingwood Games St Kilda
4 Less than 50 9
5 50 to 99 8
7 100 to 149 3
6 150 or more 2

Beaten by a considerably older and more experienced team.

For me Seb Ross is kind of like Cam Guthrie or Mitch Wallis, he's never going to lead the midfield or be a star but if his role is to just be a cog in a midfield then he can do some inside or outside work and provide some semi-decent use of the ball. Every now and then he might play a game where you go "maybe he'll take the next step" but honestly it's not gonna happen. He's a reliable-good midfielder but not winning you any games or providing any elite use of the ball. People just need to temper their expectations of Ross I think, he's not an elite mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back