Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best part was his second efforts where up. We all know how good he can be when he has the ball so it was good to see one of the week areas of his game going up a level. :)

A part of the lack of cohesion in the transition from defence to a forward target can be put down to Brown being out. We are missing his work rate and willingness to continually present between the arcs.

Francis is not capable of getting up and down like Brown who is a running machine but if he does develop this capability he will take the game by the scruff of the neck. His talent is undeniable but does he have the willingness to continually run himself into the ground, pick himself up and do it again?

The lack of movement and as such genuine options moving from the back flank at times was obvious and is a real concern moving forward.

I liked Francis' game and I thought he made a real impact from his touches. It will be interesting to see if Brown comes straight in for him or not. Brown has the workrate but he's very vanilla and you won't see him do the run down tackles, or the deft little knock on's and handballs that really create scoring opportunities. On the flipside Brown will get more of the ball, he will keep presenting far more, which will improve the link between our midfield and forward line and help reduce balls getting intercept marked because we have no targets. The other thing Brown does excellently is kick straight from set shots.

I think Francis as a forward prospect is a much better chance of making it than say Hurley/Carlisle were because I think he's much more of a utility and can still mark the ball with heat on him as a forward. Part of it is, he's stronger in his body and doesn't get moved off the ball as easily. Plus he has a real burst of pace when he's fresh and goes all out. The downside is that sometimes as a forward you simply have to do a lot of unrewarded running and presenting, can he get his fitness up to that level?

Keep playing Frang regardless is the only way to find out if he can get the tank we all desperately want to see him with because he wont get it playing VFL. Play him front, back, middle, who cares. All we need to see for the rest of the season is gradual improvement & given that last night he was good, by seasons end we could all be drooling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back