Preview ROUND 10 2019 Dreamtime at the G: Richmond vs Essendon, Saturday May 25th 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is going to rain then I agree 100% with what you believe. I think the club won't promote anyone to Ruck as they arent ready.

I am curious to see how Balta goes with more time in the middle amongst the better players around him. He is learning what his strengths are and his scope is enormous. I think for his development it would be good to see how he goes with a bit more time and opportunity to capitalise on what he has learn't and show how he can improve further to contribute more to the team with more time in the middle.

I think the bigger body of Balta in the middle helps our team especially without Cotch and Ross and it helps Dusty do what he needs to do in terms of Balta's physical presence as he becomes another the opposition has to worry about. The other thing is as Balta improves his teammates should go through him more as an option. I thought a couple of times team mates could have gone to Balta and Stack for that matter but didn't but over time as they get more confidence in his development and form they will choose Balta as a go to option making us a better team as a result.

The other thing is the way Balta uses the ball going forward with his kicking length and pace it is important to see how our team even in the forward line can improve in terms of kicking more goals by being on the end of Balta's quicker entries, deeper entries and slingshot play. Essendon are a bit of a slingshot team to so it will be quite interesting to see Balta and the team grow as Balta has more time in the middle.

If we went into the game with just a Balta/Broad/Garthwaite combo if Bellchambers drifted forward I probably would prefer Balta to stick in the middle for slingshot play and get Garthwaite or another defender to pick up the opposition ruckman going forward where possible. I would like Balta resting FF with Lynch around CHF to where he can use his pace to lead up the ground, clear out creating space and could always kick a goal with his long kicking from a long lead.

The other thing is if Balta is the ruckman and he is left in the middle by himself after ruck duties that suits Richmond but is dangerous for Essendon. Will Essendon put a tagger or follower on him?? If Essendon do not worry about Balta that means he should be able to find space so teammates would be right to look for him going forward. If he does not have the space to break away especially when the numbers are too great in front of him despite if he developed a Dusty don't argue Balta can still kick a booming kick forward our forward line should be aware of sending the opposition defences on the back foot. Really ideally when rucking ideally for Richmond if Balta simply competes in the ruck and then operates as a secondary centre/wingman that really could have a brilliant effect for our forward transition while also being a potential marking roadblock for opposition movement out of our forward line when the ball goes the other way as Balta can use his reach and pace to stunt opposition ball movement. If the Bombers direct their players to cover Balta that frees up space for the likes of Dusty and our other players in forward transition either way so I think Balta can be quite important to our winning strategy in how we use him.

Last edited:
Sucks for joe. I just wanted him rested for this week. Two seasons in a row now.

Is a groin normally this troublesome? Seems weird that nank is 8 weeks after a complete year yet joe is missing the best part of two seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP (osteitis pubis) is an absolute campaigner of an injury, different to a tear or strain as it is an overuse problem

Surgery is the last resort as it can cause alot of side affects, including making the patient sterile

Still havent seen the Hawks game, with only 49 tackles apiece seemed like an uncontested easy win. Sometimes we dont turn up the next week after a win in that manner.

That being said, if we're somewhere near our best we win easy.

Still havent seen the Hawks game, with only 49 tackles apiece seemed like an uncontested easy win. Sometimes we dont turn up the next week after a win in that manner.

That being said, if we're somewhere near our best we win easy.

I reckon its more the style of game that was played. Even though hawks were more direct than the previous week against gws, they generally play a low contested brand of footy - game was pretty hot I thought.

OP (osteitis pubis) is an absolute campaigner of an injury, different to a tear or strain as it is an overuse problem

Surgery is the last resort as it can cause alot of side affects, including making the patient sterile

Rest is the best remedy - good solid 10-12 months. I saw Barker go through it first hand as a player at the hawks - poor bastard did it tough - ruined his career

I think you have to be careful not playing a ruckman even in the wet, because there tends to be lots of stoppages. Bellchambers will be giving Shiel etc first use also could be particularly dangerous around goal placing it to the advantage of their forwards.

CJ is not ready but he will compete and make it tougher for Bellchambers to put it down the throat of their mids and forwards

that's a good point too.

Dimma has confirmed that Balta will get support in either Chol or CCJ - will obviously be announced at 6:20 tonight.

If Chol's fitness is better than it was, I'd be tempted to give him a run - Bellchambers is a campaigner of a bloke and will go out of his way to hurt ccj if hes not physically up to it. Chol's had a few more years in the system and will be able to compete better strength wise - just not sure about his fitness - he used to blow up pretty early in the vfl up until last year (havent gone to a vfl game this season)

I reckon its more the style of game that was played. Even though hawks were more direct than the previous week against gws, they generally play a low contested brand of footy - game was pretty hot I thought.
I’ve rewatched that hawks game a couple of times now.

Wasn’t too impressed watching it live but watching the replay I feel like it was close to our best game this year. Don’t know why. It was a weird one.

Live I felt it was quite messy. But it wasn’t as messy as it felt on Sunday afternoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back