Preview Round 10 v Essendon MCG Saturday May 20th 7.40pm - Will The Streak Survive

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure on Dow selection. He’s that classic case of a player who’s become better in big footys eyes any not playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s his big chance, good VFL form, should be fresh after a week off in the 2s, oppositions midfield isn’t particularly daunting.
These are the sort of games that fringe players like Dow and Ross have to show something.

Last edited:

A bit worried we are 1 Tall short for this match.

I would hate for one of Broad, Grimes or Balta to go down.

Another tall on the bench may have been ideal.
Why this week and not last week? Or the week before?

Essendon aren't a tall side. Weideman is big but weak. Their only other marking target is Langford and he's Broads height.

Will get 20 odd with 8-9 contested posessions and a few clearances but it won't be enough to save him from being squeezed out next week. Dow is one of those players that won't ever get a consistent run of games.
Yeah, you're right. He should be played ahead of Prestia, Hopper, Taranto, Martin, Graham, Short, Cotchin, Baker through the midfield.

I very likely have a spare ticket to MCC members if anyone is interested - one of our group can’t go now. My ideal scenario would be to give to someone who may be doing things a bit tough right now and would appreciate the gesture. But open to anyone really. PM me.

Oh, and if someone wants to drive and park, I have a resident car pass 500m from the ground able to be borrowed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
It’s his big chance, good VFL form, should be fresh after a week off in the 2s, oppositions midfield isn’t particularly daunting.
These are the sort of games that fringe players like Dow and Ross have to show something.

Looking forward to seeing what Dow can do. Has to start showing something at senior level when he gets his chance.

I know it doesn’t mean much where the players a named but I hope Ross gets to play around the ball more this week.

Why this week and not last week? Or the week before?

Essendon aren't a tall side. Weideman is big but weak. Their only other marking target is Langford and he's Broads height.
Yeah good point.

I haven't really paid attention, until now.

Looking forward to seeing what Dow can do. Has to start showing something at senior level when he gets his chance.

I know it doesn’t mean much where the players a named but I hope Ross gets to play around the ball more this week.
Exactly.
Can’t see Dow playing any other role but midfield, so he needs to make the most of his opportunity.

Not sure what role Dimma will have for Ross? Wing, mid, bit of everything ( spare parts man).
Pretty fluid setup atm, Pickett and Prestia playing forward roles, Shai, Dusty extra midfield minutes and Shorty mixing it up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FYI : if you select ‘public’ tickets for the match … just keep trying different categories… you might still be able to get a ticket to the game. I just successfully got through and got a ticket for my son despite them saying it’s sold out . The more Tigers the merrier!

I very likely have a spare ticket to MCC members if anyone is interested - one of our group can’t go now. My ideal scenario would be to give to someone who may be doing things a bit tough right now and would appreciate the gesture. But open to anyone really. PM me.

Oh, and if someone wants to drive and park, I have a resident car pass 500m from the ground able to be borrowed.

Post of the year.

Hope that you make it work.

giphy.gif

I'm happy for Dow to get plenty of chances to see if he can cut it in the seniors so club can decide what to do with regards to signing him, rookie list, trade, de-list. But he hasn't played for a few weeks now and the club was sketchy about his injury. He wasn't mentioned in any injury reports just that he wasn't playing due to injury. I'd hate to see the kid set up to fail. Would've been nice if they rewarded him a month ago when he was in form and we had 14 injuries. Here's hoping he makes a fist of it cos we can't afford to lose another 1st rounder to suburban footy.

Dow was actually mentioned as being a ‘slow burn’ the moment he was drafted - he wasn’t a big body and we had no intention of him playing his first couple of seasons. Throw in COVID and untimely injuries and the kid really hasn’t had a decent chance to show what he’s got. Let’s not forget Edwards was very close to being delisted about his 4th or 5th season, then he found his feet at senior level.

The club wouldn’t have expected Dow to be anything but a bit part player until this season anyway.

For me he’s a hold for next season at least as I’ve seen enough to know he’s got some great attributes, then decide from there.

A bit worried we are 1 Tall short for this match.

I would hate for one of Broad, Grimes or Balta to go down.

Another tall on the bench may have been ideal.

Who have the bummers got up forward we’d be worried about? Any of Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad or Balta can take Stringer. Then I’m not concerned about any of their talls dominating - they might take a couple of marks and kick a goal or two, but if any of their ‘tall’ forwards dominate it’d be because we are getting demolished all over the ground.

Why would you take a North Melbourne supporter to Dreamtime?
On a serious note, nice gesture mate. Well done.
The spare was for Jason Horne Francis, but he asked me to save him the ticket 12 months ago. And we know how that has panned out.

miller is a spud of the highest order

Yeah not seeing it meself. Does some nice things here and there but doesn’t seem to have the competitiveness needed at the top level

It’s why I can forgive Balta for the odd brain fart because he goes for it

Dow was actually mentioned as being a ‘slow burn’ the moment he was drafted - he wasn’t a big body and we had no intention of him playing his first couple of seasons. Throw in COVID and untimely injuries and the kid really hasn’t had a decent chance to show what he’s got. Let’s not forget Edwards was very close to being delisted about his 4th or 5th season, then he found his feet at senior level.

The club wouldn’t have expected Dow to be anything but a bit part player until this season anyway.

For me he’s a hold for next season at least as I’ve seen enough to know he’s got some great attributes, then decide from there.

I'm in this camp.

We have a midfield that will still lose Cotch, Dusty will spend less time in there, I assume we move on/upgrade from Kmac and Prestia, while he still has a few years left, will hopefully be looked after and take a few breaks here and there, so we need a midfield for the next 5 years:

Taranto
Hopper
Bolton
Short
Sonsie
Dow
Baker

All will need to go through there over the trip

I'm in this camp.

We have a midfield that will still lose Cotch, Dusty will spend less time in there, I assume we move on/upgrade from Kmac and Prestia, while he still has a few years left, will hopefully be looked after and take a few breaks here and there, so we need a midfield for the next 5 years:

Taranto
Hopper
Bolton
Short
Sonsie
Dow
Baker

All will need to go through there over the trip
No Graham or Ross ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back