Preview Round 10 v Essendon MCG Saturday May 20th 7.40pm - Will The Streak Survive

Remove this Banner Ad

This weekend we front up against our current bunnies Essendon who have not beaten us in nearly 9 years. Coming off the back of 2 confidence building wins we should be primed to extend the streak to 14 consecutive wins, but will not be entering the game thinking that it is a done deal and Dimma will have the boys primed for another performance that mirrors the effort that we put up against the Cats last Friday night.

Possible Line Ups:

B: Broad Grimes Balta
F: Phillips Weideman Langford

HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Baker
HF: Perkins Stringer McDonald-Tipungwuti

C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
C: Martin Shiel Durham

HF: Cotchin Prestia Graham
HB: Redman Hind McGrath

F: Pickett Martin Riewoldt
B: Heppell Zerk-Thatcher Ridley

R: Ryan Short Bolton

R: Draper Merrett Setterfield

INT: Nankervis Ralphsmith Mansell Clarke
INT: Caldwell Hobbs Menzie Kelly

Looking at the line ups you'd think that Richmond should win the game comfortably if we bring the intensity and effort that we brought against the Cats.

After a shaky few weeks where they struggled the back 6 look to have found form in recent weeks since Broad returned which seems to have also sparked a return to form for Grimes & Vlastuin as well, while Balta seems to have got back to early season form after handling Hawkins last week and should be able to handle Weideman this week who isn't as well credentialed as Hawkins is. That's not to say the Bombers forwards should be taken lightly. Stringer Langford and Perkins can all hit the scoreboard, while Tippa should be primed for a big performance given that it's the Dreamtime game.

Up forward we saw the old campaigners in recent weeks find form and hit the scoreboard with Prestia Jack Martin & Cotchin all kicking multiple goals and seemingly finding a renewed energy that has seen them all performing well above their early season levels. Add to that Bolton(also hitting the scoreboard) and Pickett playing a make shift KPF role that has seen him have a bigger impact on games than possessions/goals may suggest and we could prove a handful for the Bombers back 6 who have struggled to stop opposition teams from having plenty of scoring shots in the last month conceding between 25-32 scoring shots per week.

The key to that will be how our midfield performs against theirs. Unfortunately the loss of Hopper will mean a bit of a reshuffle through the midfield with either Prestia or Cotchin likely to return to the mix, however I'd like to see us keep them in the forward 50 to begin with and try Ross in their centre square with Ralphsmith moving to the wing to utilise his run and carry a bit more heading into the F50. As far s as midfield match ups go, I'm tipping Tartanto v Shiel, Short v Merrett & Setterfield v Bolton. In the ruck I'd like to throw Samson up against Draper first up to see if he can continue his good form from recent weeks and if he struggles, we can always turn to Nankervis who should return this week from injury and push Samson forward to stretch the Dons back 6.

As for the result, I'm tipping the Tigers by 4-6 goals and setting ourselves up for a big month heading into the bye with games against Port, GWS, Fremantle & Saints(Cotchins 300th) before the bye.

Last edited:

Just been watching Essendon games recently and it’s pretty obvious they really lack a lot of quality apart from Draper and Stringer. Here’s some transcripts recorded by my old Essendon neighbour at a recent Essendon training session. The conversation is between Blake Caracella (BC) and Brad Scott(BS).
BS Hey Blake what’s the game plan mate?
BC. Well considering we drafted a back pocket a few years ago with our first round pick our attack has to start from there rather than the guts
BS. How’s that work mate?
BC. Well since our midfield is rubbish were going to lose clearances and the balls going to end up down back. So we flood the BL and mess around with it then Macca will get it to the wing and hopefully Stringer or Drapes can mark it.
BS. But they can’t kick a goal from there. Also parish and Merret are good MF.
BC I know , but our tall forwards are rubbish as we have the two meter Peter Heater and that spud from the Eagles so we have to get them to hold it up until reinforcements come up. Parish and Merret get it 70 times a game for a DE of 10% and two SI and a total -50m gained. So stick to the new Caracella game plan otherwise we’re fxxked
BS So who kicks the goals then?
BC Dont worry about that as you’re thinking too far ahead mate. If you don’t know then Dimma won’t know. It’s our secret weapon mate .
BS ok , but how am I going to be a dual premiership coach like Chris? I’m really jealous not bc of the flags, but bc I think he’s in love with Tom Hawkins and you know when people are in love together for a long time they start to resemble each other.
BC. Get a grip Brad why would you want to look like ******* Chris or Tom?
BS long pause………Yeeeeeah you’re right. Changing subject ………………………………I’ve noticed a technical issue with Drapes mate.
BC Who gives a fxxk he’s only playing on Ryan and Miller.
BS. Yeah, but that Ryan’s going ok atm mate, but Drapes has a problem.
BC What’s the issue Brad?
BS. When he goes up for ruck contests he’s cocking his left leg up and losing balance and easily being out manoeuvred.
BC Well wouldn’t you want to urinate on Darcy Parish if he was next to ya?
Its a natural tendency mate and iit’s not a technical thing mate.
BS. Well how do we overcome it mate ?
BC. I’ve been working on it for weeks mate and I even tried getting Zac closer to the HO contests and that made it worse.
BS How?
BC because he then raised both legs and ended up in the squat position as if he was going to do a turd on him. So we go with thie old plan mate
BS Your the best Blake I can’t wait to be a multiple premiership coach.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still not completely sold on our form. Although I think we still beat a full strength Geelong last week but that might just be bias.
We should be winning this game but we aren't good at blowing teams out of the water unfortunately so I can see the margin being similar to last week.
If they bring Ridley back in, we will need to ensure we don't just kick it on his head all day because he is one of the better intercept marks in the game.

Changes (assuming Nank is fit)
Out: Miller, Hopper
In: Nank, Banks

If it was me I'd be dropping Ross as well, but he will likely get a reprieve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back