Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Cheer squads should co-ordinate and have blank banners for one week

While that would generate a bit of attention, it wouldn't hit anywhere near hard enough. Cheer squads represent an extremely small percentage of the AFL's attendances/viewership.

The only way to hit a business like the AFL is where it hurts: financially.

While that would generate a bit of attention, it wouldn't hit anywhere near hard enough. Cheer squads represent an extremely small percentage of the AFL's attendances/viewership.

The only way to hit a business like the AFL is where it hurts: financially.

Boycott won't work, most people will ignore it.

Banners get tv and print attention, esp if all clubs, it would dominate the news cycle

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Had to laugh this morning whilst listening to morning radio on 102.3FM in Adelaide with Jodi and Soda, they did a segment on the current issues with fans being ejected and ol' mate in the OP's story being asked to quieten down.
In traditional fashion they opened the phone lines to seek listeners opinion and as would be expected, the two callers who made the cut were both of the opinion that the AFL are correct in their stance, when questioned on their involvement in sport, both admitted they were coaches of various grades including juniors, im thinking well what do you expect them to say, anyone involved in junior sport would be well versed in the protection of umpires and against perceived anti social behaviour in those environments, they'd hardly be a balanced cross section of footy goers.
The irony that brought me to have a laugh though was from the second caller, a female, who got quite passionate about the subject to the point of dropping the S-bomb twice within a few seconds about how we as adults should be role models for the kids etc. etc. and im thinking, hang on, this caller is suggesting we as adults should be role models for children and all the while is swearing her head off to get her point across whilst live on air on morning radio whilst Mums and Dads are busy in the middle of school runs with her swearing filling the airwaves.

I could only imagine the discussion when they cut to a song or ad break...that didn't quite have the effect they were hoping for considering.

Do as I say, not as I do is alive and well in PC Australia...

I feel like this was situation of a rabid guy going off his head and being told to tone it down rather than being told he was barracking too loud. I've seen people losing their s**t at the footy get told off by cops and security heaps of times.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
But he's not doing anything wrong by commenting on the game even if you think he doesn't add value. Maybe he thinks everything that comes from your mouth is garbage?

Regardless, neither of you should be asked to leave for that even if it is annoying.
Football is a social game, at what point does one person's right to enjoy the game his way override 9 people's enjoyment? It sounds like he was going on like a pork chop and was told to tone it down, something that's not exactly new.

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
The AFL has to be carefull . For the last twenty years they,ve been hitting us with rule changes and alienating the fans. Now the press have surveys on
how we think. Coaches trying to beat the system have destroyed a great game. Going under cover and staking out cheer squads is Orwellian. It,s not as if we ,re letting flares off and need barricades to keep us apart. There is a lot competitions between sports. Old saying. Don,t kill the golden goose!

Football is a social game, at what point does one person's right to enjoy the game his way override 9 people's enjoyment? It sounds like he was going on like a pork chop and was told to tone it down, something that's not exactly new.

Sounds like it was more than that though. You don't get told tone it down and interpret that as threatened to be kicked out

Multiple people are reporting incidents where security and cops are cracking down on complaints and non polo crowd behaviour in ways it never was before. It's pretty clear this is an AFL directive. One week is a one off, but this is happening too often for the past few weeks

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Sounds like it was more than that though. You don't get told tone it down and interpret that as threatened to be kicked out

Multiple people are reporting incidents where security and cops are cracking down on complaints and non polo crowd behaviour in ways it never was before. It's pretty clear this is an AFL directive. One week is a one off, but this is happening too often for the past few weeks
It's not that hard...security says tone it down, you're acting like a clown and other people are complaining, he says I won't tone it down, security says in that case you would be removed.

I'm not a fan of over-the-top policing, but I doubt the AFL tells police what to do. Cops can be arseholes of their own volition.

These 4 Walls

Senior List
Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

That is standard behaviour though isn't it?

I have previously been told by police/security to reign in behaviour (non swearing) or risk being forced to leave. It feels like that is the correct approach too. Person A acts how they feel. Person B doesn't feel that is appropriate for social setting, complains. Police tell person A to calm down. What is the issue with any of that?

It's not that hard...security says tone it down, you're acting like a clown and other people are complaining, he says I won't tone it down, security says in that case you would be removed.

I'm not a fan of over-the-top policing, but I doubt the AFL tells police what to do. Cops can be arseholes of their own volition.

Normally I'd agree, esp if this is just the usual idiots in the grog squad

That's not what is being flagged on the boards this week though - it's multiple weeks of being being threatened with sanction for noise and non bigoted behaviour

That is standard behaviour though isn't it?

I have previously been told by police/security to reign in behaviour (non swearing) or risk being forced to leave. It feels like that is the correct approach too. Person A acts how they feel. Person B doesn't feel that is appropriate for social setting, complains. Police tell person A to calm down. What is the issue with any of that?

I've seen cops do it, and it's usually casual. Whats being said here didn't sound casual

People say umpiring standards are at an all time low every year. It’s no different to 5 or 10 years ago.

The majority of people complaining about umpires are only complaining because the free kick went against their team. They’d be clapping like seals if the decision went the other way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

i hear what you're saying.

the seal analogy is spot on. A dodgy or incorrect decision that favours your team, put your head down and mumble "soft free but ill take it". Same incident results in free to opposition? RAAHHHHHHHHH F OFF YOU MAGGOT!!!

I'm not generally one of them, but umpiring is in disarray. You cannot watch two consecutive games and determine what constitutes "holding the ball" or "incorrect disposal". The fans are being treated like ****.

and i hear what you're saying.

i blame HQ for all the rule changes, bringing in rules on top of rules.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I would say when their enjoyment of the game is outside the scope of their rights.
So if you are standing in a seating area, you're doing the wrong thing and should sit down.
If you are cheering in your seat often and loudly, I'm not sure there is much you can complain about.

These 4 Walls

Senior List
Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I would say when their enjoyment of the game is outside the scope of their rights.
So if you are standing in a seating area, you're doing the wrong thing and should sit down.
If you are cheering in your seat often and loudly, I'm not sure there is much you can complain about.

And if the enjoyment of that 1 person meant that 9 others wouldn't return the following week, why would a competition or a stadium not seek to change the ways of the 1?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Well, I've certainly been my share of games where my enjoyment was totally outside the scope of my rights or control :'(

These 4 Walls

Senior List
Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Due to cheering loudly? I would hope not.

"Take that you Tiger flogs, you show him DeGoey, Grimes is your prison mistress and he knows it. Go back to crying Dylan. Who would be stupid enough to follow ninthmond - up the bloody pies"

That is barracking but it would also be pretty easy for someone who doesn't mind the footy to avoid coming back if that happened 15 times a game either right in front or behind them. If we would rather those people don't come that is fine, but a different conversation to "people raise complaint, police request patron to calm down - AFL are the bad guys"

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Standing room. Boys will be boys. Letting off some steam etc.

If you want to abuse, no half measures. Go all out or don't bother

He was doing it for the sake of doing it, he was a drunk moron there was no "boys will be boys".

Didn't bother me but the elderly female security guard obviously took exception to it and he was standing directly behind the seating area (not the tiered "standing room" area) in between M18/19 and the take away joints behind. Plenty of kids and elderly supporters around who don't want to be subjected to that rubbish. I can understand letting of steam with the odd profanity but he was drunk and doing it to be deliberately provocative.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was doing it for the sake of doing it, he was a drunk moron there was no "boys will be boys".

Didn't bother me but the elderly female security guard obviously took exception to it and he was standing directly behind the seating area (not the tiered "standing room" area) in between M18/19 and the take away joints behind. Plenty of kids and elderly supporters around who don't want to be subjected to that rubbish. I can understand letting of steam with the odd profanity but he was drunk and doing it to be deliberately provocative.

The filth in standing room is extraordinary

From what we know, he was evicted (according to him) rather than getting any warning. Agree with your post otherwise.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Two sets of people need to shut the * up.

1. The media during games highlighting dodgy frees or questioning frees when they are given.
2. Umpires need to be seen and not heard. Make the decision and stfu stop trying to be bigger than the game.

This bald headed flog wants to draw attention to himself and join all the other victims vying for attention in our game.

We go to the football to watch our team football not some bald headed flog having a cry.

The AFL is focusing on all the fringe groups and small social issues all the while alienating the most important people in the game...the supporters.

Back