Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He done some good stuff in the last 10 minutes when the game was on the line ..
Not saying he's a gun , being out for month wouldn't be helping him but certainly not our worst..
I saw a few good passes, a few neutral attempts at the contest, and a poor tackle in his second half; but in saying that, it was better than what I saw in his first half. That dicky left foot pass is still fresh in my mind; so perhaps its clouding what I saw, But I'm about to watch the game again now. I'll have a coffee and try and watch impartially.

McGovern needs to learn he won't be gifted games. Needs to drop down to the VFL and get fit and find some form.

Jack would have been much more valuable today, maybe even enough to win the game.

I think McGovern will be an asset to us, but doesn't deserve games at the moment.

Last edited:

I saw a few good passes, a few neutral attempts at the contest, and a poor tackle in his second half; but in saying that, it was better than what I saw in his first half. That dicky left foot pass is still fresh in my mind; so perhaps its clouding what I saw, But I'm about to watch the game again now. I'll have a coffee and try and watch impartially.
Oh yeah ..that left foot pass to a dogs player made my toenails curl..

Lochie O’Brien in the third on his left and misses the goal was the turning point. He kicks that and we win. Bulldogs kicked the next 4.
Er what about those 40 - 50m passes LOB nailed during the game, especially that pass that spotted CC in the thick of the dogs flooded defence in the third?

Crippa’s decision to kick backwards across the ground resulting in a gift goal was worse than LOBs missed shot.

Last edited:
is it just me that doesn't really think you can put the cost of a loss on one facet of the 100 minutes?
Interesting call Thy....I kind of felt that the goal that Suckling pulled out of his clacker just before 3/4 time knocked the wind out of our sails after all the effort we made clawing our way to the lead. It sure knocked the wind out of mine just watching it.
It seemed to give them belief again. For mine it was the turning point.

Dead set, no idea how people are having a go at Murphy tonight.

Ignoring for a moment that it's his first game back, he clearly wasn't given the role of a traditional midfielder in the first half. He spent a lot of time up forward.

In the second half when he went in to the middle he was enormous, particularly in the centre bounces.

Despite only having 4 touches at half time, he ended up with 21 and almost caught our top disposal getters. He arguably used it better than most of them too.

Pull your heads in.

[/overly emotional rant defending my favourite player]

he's currently possibly the worst kick in the game - I believe brayshaw his draft mate is alongside him in **** disposal numbers - against all that he rolled that thing in - the place went off.........
Yeah Brayshaw second worst and Dow third worst kicking efficiency, God help the worst who ever that is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno, that one-step Suckling circuit-breaker was pretty enormous. Even he looked surprised it went through.
kb, you've picked the exact same moment I let out the big woosh.................not the match-winner but certainly a heart-breaker.......

Interesting call Thy....I kind of felt that the goal that Suckling pulled out of his clacker just before 3/4 time knocked the wind out of our sails after all the effort we made clawing our way to the lead. It sure knocked the wind out of mine just watching it.
It seemed to give them belief again. For mine it was the turning point.
yup. that was the critical, arsey moment for me. Just before that I predicted we would win by 3 goals. that moment changed everything. It wrested back momentum (and umpiring goes with momentum)

I have a concern that we have a midfield that relies too heavily on Cripps getting first hands on the pill
if he doesn't get first hands on it, he is then a liability due to his lack of mobility
and if Dow or Fisher or others are in there then they just seem to be chasing tail

Ed had 5 Centre Clearances tonight and I don't have the stats but I bet he halved a few as well

Two things I want to see going forward:
- Ed in the middle from the start of games
- Cuningham or whoever else in on the HF flank getting up on the attacking side of ball ins to stop the easy outlet handpasses and uncontested footy - hard on the tv to see if this already happening but we gotta shut this down especially early in games

We got smashed at the clearances and on the spread. They owned the corridor and we just refused to run and carry and played the kicking game again. I’m confused by this team. Our midfield was horrid but I don’t understand why we wait to play Ed on the oppositions best forward until the 2nd quarter? Surely it’s best to move him from one to another instead of having playing forward pocket until we decide what we want him to do? I just don’t understand some coaching moves and to me it sounds like Teague is playing nice for BB sake on this one.
I know the stats won’t show it and sometimes I scratch my head with these because it’s evident during the match, but Kruezer was embarrassed today by a kid named English.
Apart from Charlie, none of the other KP forwards lead up to the ball carrier. It’s pure laziness and continuously sit behind their man wanting the ball over the back. McKay joined McGovern today, although Macs last was better. Also can we possibly stop with the idiotic move of having a small starting from inside the goals square when we have 3 marking forwards?

We didn’t deserve to win tonight because we only played for 1 quarter and 10 minutes.
I think the past 2 weeks have also confirmed to me, we need a full reset of coaches.

Dogs got rubbish 50's to get ahead, we got rubbish frees to get back. Balances out.

We realistically played a quarter-and-a-bit of actual football and nearly won. I remain a big fan of Bolton, but we'd never have produced bursts like that under his tutelage.

On a more sombre note, security walking the aisles scanning for people to eject is really troubling. I won't say 'oppression', but that sort of monitoring will not get the results the AFL is looking for. It will just heighten tensions and increase the likelihood of things getting out of hand.
Not the way to go about it and just an awful look...

English controlled bounces. Harry was very ordinary forward. Perhaps him moved to English, Kreuzer in on ball role around the ground with a small forward working at the feet of Curnow might have made a difference in clearances and goal scoring and goal defending.

T

Thy,

Why don't you say that post out loud in the voice of the good witch of the east. It might remind you that Paddy Dow is a footballer
I don't know what that means - and any chance I would attempt to unravel its secrets has been negated by your appalling formatting - get better..........

Back