Scandal Jaidyn Stephenson - Betting on Pies games

Remove this Banner Ad

I have previously worked in a suburban tab, I have seen plenty of players and coaches bet, they always do it on the ebt machines so no one knows what their bets are. I could easily find out what their bets were as the ebt has all the information of their bets.

If you dont think its rife u have another thing coming. Ebts give the punter some privacy but u would need that many officials looking into this and so much time invested into it. We simply wouldnt have a league if all of them were caught.
Betting on AFL? They're allowed to better on the horses and other sports, aren't they?

So being a hot topic right now, why was the Stephenson thread locked on the Scandals & Rumours board?

As i thought, he wasn't overcome by guilt or a need to tell the truth etc

He was basically silly enough to mention the bet to Jeremy Howe, who told him to tell Walsh...once Howe knew of the bet Stephenson had no choice but to comply, Howe wasn't going to let him get away with it.

The whole suspended sentence thing is kind of stupid imo. Should have been banned for the rest of the season including finals (if not the full 22 weeks) and if found guilty again a life time ban. Some people reckon the 10 week ban and $20k fine is too harsh, especially since it was a few bets totalling 'only' $36, but regardless of the amount bet it was essentially a form of match fixing which is arguably the worst thing you can do in sport. The fact it was across multiple games as well and not just a one off is pretty bad too.

Last edited:
The whole suspended sentence is kind of stupid imo. Should have just been banned for the rest of the season and if found guilty again a life time ban. Some people reckon the ban is too harsh, especially since it was a few bets totalling 'only' $36, but regardless of the amount bet it was essentially a form of match fixing which is arguably the worst thing you can do in sport. The fact it was across multiple games as well and not just a one off is pretty bad too.

The article states Stephenson made a comment to Howe about a teammate costing him his multi, which shows he's actively thinking about his bets while playing and while you can't really prove it, there's every chance he could have made a decision on the field with the intent on seeing his bets win...especially the bets on himself which he has direct and full control over.

Also, he only reported it because Howe knew of the bets...it's very likely that he would have kept betting on Collingwood games had he not let it slip.

So being a hot topic right now, why was the Stephenson thread locked on the Scandals & Rumours board?

As i thought, he wasn't overcome by guilt or a need to tell the truth etc

He was basically silly enough to mention the bet to Jeremy Howe, who told him to tell Walsh...once Howe knew of the bet Stephenson had no choice but to comply, Howe wasn't going to let him get away with it.
If that's right, kudos to Howe. It would be very easy in that situation to let a mate get away with it, and just tell him not to do it again. Even moreso in a team sport where sticking by team-mates is almost the prime thing looked for.

Meh. Every team has had players that have did this, are doing it or are going to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the language around this one- when the story broke, the AFL were investigating an "irregularity".

It's called "match fixing" you ******* donuts.

I was surprised to even hear that the AFL and Collingwood 'were in talks' about the punishment.

Conveniently they've given him a number of games that allows him to play finals, despite betting on his own team, including himself, on 3 seperate occasions.

The article states Stephenson made a comment to Howe about a teammate costing him his multi, which shows he's actively thinking about his bets while playing and while you can't really prove it, there's every chance he could have made a decision on the field with the intent on seeing his bets win...especially the bets on himself which he has direct and full control over.

Also, he only reported it because Howe knew of the bets...it's very likely that he would have kept betting on Collingwood games had he not let it slip.

The fact he told his teammate demonstrates the level of stupidity and immaturity involved

Apparently the kid only bet $36 . That or $ 1000, no excuse. If somebody from the sub continent see s this , can you imagine? Collingwood ( they get into the Eagles) culture since Maguire took over is disgraceful. Bikie , drugs, race and now betting. Where does it stop? As much as we hate them, they are a great club surrounded by idiocy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back