U18 Champs 2019 U18 Championships Review and All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Vic Metro had one of the more disappointing Championships in recent years. They had a core group of about 5 players that stood up consistently, and the rest did next to nothing to help their draft chances. Didn't seem like they gelled as a team either in comparison to others.

Matthew Rowell, Finn Maginness and Fischer McAsey were the three I think did particularly well. With Noah Anderson being good, without quite hitting his true potential. Josh Worrell will likely make the All Australian side, but he was inconsistent and there just aren't any better tall forwards this year. But outside of those guys, Nick Bryan would probably be happy and cemented himself as the #2 ruck in the draft class. Miles Bergman and Trent Bianco were probably the only others to get a passing grade.

Finn Maginness will make the AA team. The Metro MVP is a three horse race between him, McAsey and Rowell. Plus there needs to be someone tied to a Victorian club in there.

Anderson will be in Ahead of Maginness….Far more consistent....Maginness had his best game against the Allies.

Anderson will be in Ahead of Maginness….Far more consistent....Maginness had his best game against the Allies.

I probably should say Maginness should be in the AA side. Anderson is obviously in the side too.

I probably should say Maginness should be in the AA side. Anderson is obviously in the side too.

I just can't see the bottom team of the champs furnishing the AA side with more than 3 players.....And for that reason alone, I can't see Maginness making it.

I just can't see the bottom team of the champs furnishing the AA side with more than 3 players.....And for that reason alone, I can't see Maginness making it.

Metro's whole problem was that they had a group of good players and then nothing else. So I don't see a problem with them having 5 - Rowell, McAsey, Maginness, Anderson and Worrell. There are only 5 teams and 23 spots after all. And it's hard to imagine the Allies having more than 3 at most.

Metro's whole problem was that they had a group of good players and then nothing else. So I don't see a problem with them having 5 - Rowell, McAsey, Maginness, Anderson and Worrell. There are only 5 teams and 23 spots after all. And it's hard to imagine the Allies having more than 3 at most.

Maginness's problem though, is that he is the third best midfielder in the bottom side....McAsey was the clear stand-out key position defender this champs, Worrall the stand-out key forward.

Maginness would have all of Rowell, Anderson, Serong, Flanders, Green, Robertson, Kemp, Mead & Shoenberg head of him.....He's not getting a gig by my estimation.

Maginness's problem though, is that he is the third best midfielder in the bottom side....McAsey was the clear stand-out key position defender this champs, Worrall the stand-out key forward.

Maginness would have all of Rowell, Anderson, Serong, Flanders, Green, Robertson, Kemp, Mead & Shoenberg head of him.....He's not getting a gig by my estimation.

I personally don't have Mead in the AA side. He'd need a big last game, and I don't think Schoenberg is a lock either - him and Garcia are potentially battling it out for the last spot on my bench. While Kemp will more than likely be named at CHB.

My side looks like...

b: Will Gould - Fischer McAsey - Will Day
hb: Hayden Young - Brodie Kemp - Lachie Ash
c: Noah Anderson - Finn Maginness - Tom Green
hf: Sam Flanders - Elijah Taylor - Caleb Serong
f: Liam Henry - Josh Worrell - Cody Weightman
r: Luke Jackson - Deven Robertson - Matthew Rowell
i: Mitch O'Neill - Dylan Stephens - Dyson Hilder - Trent Rivers - Riley Garcia

I personally don't have Mead in the AA side. He'd need a big last game, and I don't think Schoenberg is a lock either - him and Garcia are potentially battling it out for the last spot on my bench. While Kemp will more than likely be named at CHB.

My side looks like...

b: Will Gould - Fischer McAsey - Will Day
hb: Hayden Young - Brodie Kemp - Lachie Ash
c: Noah Anderson - Finn Maginness - Tom Green
hf: Sam Flanders - Elijah Taylor - Caleb Serong
f: Liam Henry - Josh Worrell - Cody Weightman
r: Luke Jackson - Deven Robertson - Matthew Rowell
i: Mitch O'Neill - Dylan Stephens - Dyson Hilder - Trent Rivers - Riley Garcia

Defence looks bang on the money.....Won't be surprised to see Kemp named in the middle though, in order to accommodate Finlay/Hilder.

Maginness in the middle ahead of all the other big guns?....Mate, he only dominated against the side with the weakest midfield at the champs.....and even then, Green still out-shone him....Mahony & Bianco are far cleaner footballers than Maginness is.

If he scrapes a bench spot, then he'll be doing well.

I'd also have Elijah Taylor in ahead of Henry. You can't leave the highly skilled Sharp out & doubt the selectors will either.

Garcia had a good first up game, but needs a good one this time to get the nod for mine.

I still reckon Bryan is a better ruck prospect than Jackson.

I've been a fan of Maginness in each game, I certainly don't think he only starred in the last one. I think he was far cleaner and more influential as a midfielder than Bianco and Mahoney. He was one of the few on the Metro side who looked like an AFL level footballer. The profile of being a F/S always helps too. And I don't really think positions mean much with this side, but put Green in the middle and swap Maginness with O'Neill if you really want.

Sharp has only had one good game so far for me. But a good final round could see him come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Australian Team Prediction

B: Rivers, Finlay, Ruscoe
HB: Gould, McAsey, Young
C: Schoenberg, Green, Rowell
HF: Cahill, Anderson, Flanders
F: Weightman, ???*, Henry
R: L.Jackson, Robertson, Serong
INT (from): Garcia, O'Neill, Ash, Day, (Kemp/Edwards)

*Tall forwards are hard to pick seeing as most have not performed this carnival, the tall forward spot is open and between Hollands/J.Smith/Taylor/Sladojevic/Worrell/Jones

others with a chance to be AA:
Sharp, Bianco, Mead, D.Stephens, Rosas, Gulden, Oea, Baldi
--------------------------------------------------------------------
no Maginness, but i did like his game against the Allies and he is in form, played well in all 4 games, so he is a chance, but i think there are too many top 10 midfielders who also played well for him to get a spot, he would be behind, WA's Robertson, Garcia, SA's Schoenberg, Mead, VM's Rowell, Anderson, VC's Serong, Flanders, Allies Green and maybe even VC's Baldi, so as a midfielder he has at least 10 ahead of him as well as the 2 wings O'Neill and D.Stephens which he doesnt qualify for, he has risen in the rankings a little, most had him mid 20's but after the champs he would be somewhere between 15-20 draft range i would think.

Maybe Garcia, Mead and Schoenberg were better on the stats sheet.

no they were better in playing a role that allowed their team to win, Schoenberg is a serious talent, very high work rate, he is everywhere on the field and uses it well in general and seems to have a lot of run in his legs when others are slowing down, Garcia is under rated by a lot of people, he reminds me of Prestia the way he plays, Mead is the only 1 i would agree he hasnt been as special, so maybe Maginness would be in the same boat as he is and maybe an outside chance.

Considering SA has won the same amount of games as Metro, I’m not sure Mead and Schoenberg were better at playing a role to win.

I like Schoenberg. I have for 18 months now. But he’s not going to win games. It’s why he wasn’t in the initial squad. And why he’ll likely be a mid round draft pick. He’s clean with his ball handling and racks up the touches, but he isn’t damaging. Not to say there isn’t a role for him though.

Anyway, even if Maginness doesn’t get AA, I have little doubt he’ll be a better player than many who do. There’s only 4 midfielders I’d take ahead of him at the moment.

Considering SA has won the same amount of games as Metro, I’m not sure Mead and Schoenberg were better at playing a role to win.

I like Schoenberg. I have for 18 months now. But he’s not going to win games. It’s why he wasn’t in the initial squad. And why he’ll likely be a mid round draft pick. He’s clean with his ball handling and racks up the touches, but he isn’t damaging. Not to say there isn’t a role for him though.

Anyway, even if Maginness doesn’t get AA, I have little doubt he’ll be a better player than many who do. There’s only 4 midfielders I’d take ahead of him at the moment.

But Metro are done, while S/A still have one game left in hand against the Allies....So theoretically, you could still finish second if Vic Country beat the gropers.

You also only lost to the Country lads by the proverbial last kick & by a point at that....That's how far away from winning the Champs S/A were....By an inch.

Schoenberg would be a walk-up start....He's like Sam Mitchell....A metronome.

AA prediction:

BP: Ash (VC), Finlay (SA), Gould (SA)
HB: Young (VC), McAsey (VM), Rivers (WA)
C: Rowell (VM), Green (A), Kemp (VC)
HF: Serong (VC), Taylor (WA), Flanders (VC)
FF: Weightman (VC), Hollands (VC), Henry (WA)
R: L.Jackson (WA), Robertson (WA), Schoenberg (SA)
IN/C: Cahill (VC), Stephens (SA), Pina (WA), Anderson (VM)

Strongly considered Sharp (WA), Bianco (VM), Day (SA), Ruscoe (WA), J.Smith (VC) and O'Neill (A)

im really big on players who can take the ball away from contests and maginess can do that.

my top 24 are:

VM - Rowell, McAsey, Anderson, Bianco
Allies - Green
S.A. - Schoenberg, Gould, Day, Mead, Edwards, Finlay
VC - Serong, Flanders, Weightman, Ash, Young, Kemp
W.A. - Robertson, Henry, Garcia, Sharp, L.Jackson, Rivers, Ruscoe

they are my All Australian team

others that could make it are Worrell, O'Neill, Rosas Jnr, D.Stephens, Shute, Hilder, Comben, De Koning, Cahill, Baldi, Pasini, Taylor, Warner

bed3d3e6834581ea3cda9a064f0f1c3c.jpg

Hard to argue with that imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back