Autopsy Rd 17 Surging Blues beat Swans on their own turf

Who played well against the Swans in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Believe there was also a review done last year at our club so did we have a coach that was helping or hindering our progress as a team on game day .
Was our coaching under bolton encouraging team progress ?
Genuine talent individually will make incremental improvements under any coach as they mature as you say and I agree but as a team we were playing as individuals reliant on basically 2 players Cripps and Kruezer .
Totally different team now that doesn't seem to be reliant on individuals with a much more even spread of contributions and yes seems to be clicking rather coincidentally under a new coach .
Im still not sold on Teague as we still have 6 games to go and plenty to play out yet but the evidence is mounting that Bolton wasn't the man to take us forward .

As I mentioned earlier othe coaches were in a similar situation, we took a path the Dogs, Lions have taken, while others have remained steadfast

Either way, this group is now starting its rise

Bolton was coaching for the future and the losses, short term was to his detriment, but not the groups detriment long term

We keep saying this as though it was a good thing and whatever 'future' Bolton was coaching for wasn't a particularly good one.
This must surely be evident enough when 'apparently' some of his coaches didn't see eye to eye, some of his senior players didn't see eye to eye and ultimately the executive didn't see eye to eye with him....for all the fluffy words and 'support' leading right up to his ousting.

Again, Bolton may have been coaching for the future but it just wasn't a particularly sound one and when the dust settles and no matter how much we may have liked the guy, we're more likely to deem his tenure as a glaring failure than for a win for the future.

EDIT - It's this thread again. Aph. Clean up required.

Some say that he could have been the best out of the 3 we got from SA at the end of 85.
At the time many of us thought it was the emergence one of the best ever. I still remember the day of the news of the tragedy. The end of the rise of the phoenix.
Then the next thing we also lost Des English.
Anyone that thinks winning is all it's about has no idea.
Those were tough times.

Last edited:
Of course Bolton wanted wins, but do you think playing Ed forward and Murphy on a wing and playing the kids in guts he was looking for the short term?

I think Bolton took it to the extreme, but he was certainly looking longterm
I think he was trying things. But unfortunately for him it was the wrong things.

In the big picture are we any closer to a flag than when Bolton was in charge?

The short answer is 'yes' imo. I give a great deal of credit to Bolton for building the culture and the method, but I am also of the opinion that the players stopped believing in him. I'll cite the * game as the last straw, something had to change. Unfortunately that meant a change of coach.

I've said it many times; I would have offered Bolton a position at the club as a development coach. He is a very good teacher. Maybe the club did offer it, maybe not. Maybe Bolts thought it below his dignity, maybe not, We will probably never know.

I was, and remain, a huge fan of Brendan Bolton, but I also believe we are a significant step closer to #17 than we were under his tenure.

At the time many of us thought it was the emergence one of the best ever. I still remember the day of the news of the tragedy. The end of the rise of the phoenix.
Then the next thing we also lost Des English.
Anyone that thinks winning is all it's about has no idea.
Those were tough times.
Indeed, we won the premiership in 1987 but that was a tough year emotionally to live through and even winning the premiership did not remove the sadness of the turn of events that changed the life of two of our players then. There would have been many weeks lots of us feared Motley would lose his life. Thankfully he come out of a coma but it was a year I think of the tragedy of those events, rather than a premiership.

The short answer is 'yes' imo. I give a great deal of credit to Bolton for building the culture and the method, but I am also of the opinion that the players stopped believing in him. I'll cite the * game as the last straw, something had to change. Unfortunately that meant a change of coach.

I've said it many times; I would have offered Bolton a position at the club as a development coach. He is a very good teacher. Maybe the club did offer it, maybe not. Maybe Bolts thought it below his dignity, maybe not, We will probably never know.

I was, and remain, a huge fan of Brendan Bolton, but I also believe we are a significant step closer to #17 than we were under his tenure.

Fair comment :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree - saw him chasing hard a few times as they rebounded from our F50. Made a mental note to post about that but forgot until now.
Yeah I noticed a few of those late in the game. seemed token chases after he had already let the ball out of the area. Didnt pressure or harrass with and intensity

You mean like other coaches such as Thompson, Hardwick, Buckley where their clubs backed them, while many were calling for heads to roll?

When will people understand that coaches play such a minimal role, when talent players mature and a team rises base on natural ability

You don't think it's quite a coincidence that our players matured immediately after Bolton was axed?

Yep paddy dow really let himself down today in this regard.
I cop a kid having a quiet game playing up forward but he applied 0 defensive pressure, refused to chase and didnt lay a tackle. Looks like chris judd when he has the ball running towards goal. Looks like Brock Mclean when the oppo has it!
11 pressure acts yesterday. Still averaging 18 for the season.

Interesting that Teague said we had some players playing roles for us that don't look like much on the stats sheet but they are important to the side.

Food for thought.

post in appropriate thread or not at all.........
Depth thread is deep.

Seriously, though, impressed yesterday how we were able to shuffle around our defence with it basically being a revolving door backline since the bye. Defence was pressured, but let's not forget we kept the Swans to 62 points. That's pretty good... We're asking our defence players to play different roles each week due to injury losses, and they're doing their job - just as Teague wants.

It's producing results.

11 pressure acts yesterday. Still averaging 18 for the season.

Interesting that Teague said we had some players playing roles for us that don't look like much on the stats sheet but they are important to the side.

Food for thought.
In a high pressure high tackle game still pretty ordinary only player for us to not be credited with an effective tackle .
If we are not going to give him much midfield time much better to see him rack the numbers up in the reserves in the midfield .
For now lets see how much Garlett wants to stay on the list instead .

Listening to Roos I thought Dane Rampe was not only the greatest defender ever to play the game but also is working towards ending world poverty, is chairing the UN and invented solar power. What a man

He's lucky McKay didn't kick straight and wasnt rewarded with that absurd non-call HTB.

Was straight up abused by Harry.

There's no doubt we're playing like a completely different team now.

Teague deserves credit and should be right up there for the main role if we keep performing like we have since he's taken over.

To all those that swore black and blue that Bolts had no chance with our squad, it's quite clear now that he did...

If we didn't get rid of him we would've most likely got another wooden spoon. Great move by the club. These wins if anything will instill an enormous amount of belief in the playing group and supporters.

N Riewoldt spoke earlier this year about the confidence that Stain Kilda gained from late wins in 2003 and how that carried on into their commemorative DVD start to 2004. Similar for Brisbane last year. It's a shame that Bolton didn't seem to understand this.

SPS at half back while doc and williamson are out is a good move.

my concern is he doesn't have a huge leg on him which can limit his kicking range a bit. that sharp 30m pass that he's so great at is much more damaging hitting up targets inside 50 than across half back.

Should stay there regardless. He should be the one to replace Simmo as the small defender.

Back