Analysis Get Rid of Medical and Fitness Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely curious if a team in history has ever been decimated as much as we have been right now.

Yes, indeed there has ...

Collingwood circa 2013 (ACL’s and impact injuries)

Collingwood circa 2016 (Soft tissue injuries)

I’m not worried about us not being in good enough form to contend in finals, I’m worried about us not being able to get 22 players on the field to even finish the home and away season.

Anyone read Jake Niall's piece in the Age today? Very, very good.

I'm not convinced a clean-out is in order. I'm not sure it's not either. I just hope we don't hang anyone before we're certain it's warranted. There could be other factors, like the training surface, that is outside their control.

De Goey and Quaynor bite the dust. Another hammy. Another stress fracture. Objectively we get more injuries than other clubs. To me that suggests we can do better. I'd love to understand the cause. So many possible reasons.

Could not do any worse really

I’m not worried about us not being in good enough form to contend in finals, I’m worried about us not being able to get 22 players on the field to even finish the home and away season.

By my count we’ve only used 34 players this season out of a list of 48 which would be down on some previous seasons which were up around 38ish.

Many of the selection committee decisions this season have been around omissions rather than injury.

There could be other factors, like the training surface, that is outside their control.

Agreed - but you would also hope that top notch medical/fitness staff would've identified a pattern and traced it back to say a couple of things that need investigating (surface etc....) and we might have heard something within the last 5 years.

But Walshy says the meds/fitness people are........um......ah ....unavailable :p

By my count we’ve only used 34 players this season out of a list of 48 which would be down on some previous seasons which were up around 38ish.

Many of the selection committee decisions this season have been around omissions rather than injury.
We’ve used 36, Dunn and Murphy haven’t really had a look in at playing. I can see us getting to 40

The stats in the HS this week showed we are only #1 for list injuries this year over the past ten years. 3rd in 2013. But I believe a closer analysis would show we have more soft tissue injuries to best 22 and key players than most other clubs. I also believe this has cost us between 1 and 3 flags in the past decade - 2011, 2012, 2018. It might be possible to suggest that Reid alone may have cost us 2 flags. 2011 debatable but the game was winnable right up to last quarter if Hawkins had been contained. Who knows?

Is it systemic or is it luck? Do we need to try and draft more established, durable players? Do we need to make tougher calls on players with sentimental connections to the Club but flaky bodies?

Hawthorn’s 3 peat was built on having a durable, consistent playing group and few soft tissue injuries. Admittedly they also don’t do dumb ass things like gamble on themselves during the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was exaggerating, but thanks for the break down.

I try not to dwell on injury lists, and as a lowly supporter I could only hope that our last review of the recurring injury crisis would find some sort of ongoing solution, but the situation is getting as hard to ignore and as f****** annoying as one of those whiny buskers who appear on the train during your morning commute on the only day you've forgotten to bring your headphones.

Some people pay for memberships expecting success. My only expectation is to see some spirited football being played by most of our players, most of the time, but that just doesn't happen often enough.

Other people seem happy enough to throw around half-baked theories about the nature and cause of the problem, and the urge to sack someone is never far away, but the only facts are (a) that there is a serious problem, and (b) none of us here really know what the **** is going on:

- Incompetent fitness and conditioning regime?
- Game style?
- Training method?
- Drafting/recruiting of injury-prone players?
- Training surface?
- All or none of the above, or an unholy combination of some?

The answer is as much a mystery to me as the audience for morning television or My Kitchen Rules, but this is one mystery I want solved. A(nother) comprehensive review of our injuries needs to be prepared immediately, and it needs to begin its work as soon as our season is done.

Football is a serious investment of time, money and emotion for many of us, and the failure of the Collingwood Football Club to secure the match fitness of so many of its playing list feels like an inadequate return on that investment. More to the point, each addition to the injury list leeches more and more passion from the faithful. A thoroughgoing review will at least help to restore some hope.

Last edited:
I think its bigger than sacking the fitness staff. We've already done that twice in the last 5 or 6 years.

Some serious investigation has to be on the ground. I wasnt a believer of the theory but there are too many soft tissue and stress injuries for it not to be a factor.

I hope they rip it up and do preseason at Vic park.

I think its bigger than sacking the fitness staff. We've already done that twice in the last 5 or 6 years.

Some serious investigation has to be on the ground. I wasnt a believer of the theory but there are too many soft tissue and stress injuries for it not to be a factor.

I hope they rip it up and do preseason at Vic park.
Did an inspection of it last year and its apparantely a better ground than most. So not the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back