Analysis Get Rid of Medical and Fitness Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it does. Or is your head still in the sand.

Under 18s are going to be told to do everything to avoid drafted by collingwood because of their history of mismanagement.

Really? by whom under what knowledge ?? .. sheesh .. also the statement sounds suss as u cannot "avoid" a pick in teh draft if u are picked u are picked !! If you are going to press forward with an argument please back it up with facts and not speculation based on hearsay and anger!

Did an inspection of it last year and its apparantely a better ground than most. So not the ground.

Like how the Review was suppose to turn around. We nearly Stole a Flag last season but one back to where we where Pre-Review.

So did not have huge Success

Youre joking arent you, we replaced him with his right-hand man. Different face, same modus operandi

That may be so but White has approached the role a lot differently. White focusses on ball work based fitness. Davoren seemed to focus on clocking up miles on the running track. I like Whites approach much better.

Last edited:
Who did? The club? Lol.

Isn't the sub base "fill" from the tunnels?

What do you mean by ‘sub base’? The oval is largely on the site of the old Olympic Park athletics track and field ground. It was built for the Olympic Games in 1956. I’m sure the club ripped up, relaid and realigned the surface, but would that get down to the sub base? I’m not actually sure what is meant by that.

I’ve posted on this before, but later this afternoon I will do some research about what was there before 1956 (a cycling track/velodrome I think). But we are getting back into the mists of time here, and I’m not sure it will help.

You mean at training? Our surface is 10 x worse.

No I mean at Perth...I've had a few runs on the training surface at the Holden Centre and apart from being a little patchy in colour its not bad at all.

What do you mean by ‘sub base’? The oval is largely on the site of the old Olympic Park athletics track and field ground. It was built for the Olympic Games in 1956. I’m sure the club ripped up, relaid and realigned the surface, but would that get down to the sub base? I’m not actually sure what is meant by that.

I’ve posted on this before, but later this afternoon I will do some research about what was there before 1956 (a cycling track/velodrome I think). But we are getting back into the mists of time here, and I’m not sure it will help.

I think it’s an incorrect use of the term and means sub grade, either way I’m not too sure the significance.

Like how the Review was suppose to turn around. We nearly Stole a Flag last season but one back to where we where Pre-Review.

So did not have huge Success
Can only mean one thing, Bucks followed the rules of the review last year but this year he has done it his way again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a history of Olympic Park, including early uses and what happended there up to and including the recent Glasshouse development:

(Looks like John Wren had some eary involvement too - we are cursed!)

I may be missing something, but the surface of the oval appears to have always been - dirt, grass, etc.

I dont know the geology of this area on the north bank of the Yarra River, and other posters might. That could be an issue.

Otherwise it seems inconceivable to me that the club, or our predecessors, would dig up the surface to put down a hard layer beneath. The oval is not sited on top of a carpark or a basement. When the old OP buildings were pulled down - mid-2000s - surely the practice then was to remove the building rubble (and any other nasties) from the site, and not bury the stuff or use it as fill?

Surely there's going to be another full blown review done on the entire fitness program and injury management processes as well as all the personnel in these critical areas at seasons end?Totally unacceptable with what's going on with our injury rates. Yes all clubs get injuries but why are ours so great in numbers and repetitive since 2014/15?

Last edited:
Edit: the old OP buildings were not pulled down until the early 2010s.

If any of you have access to Nearmap, check out the aerial images from 2012 to 2013. I've just looked, and yep the club tore into the playing surface and completely rebuilt it. Interesting images from that time.

Surely there's going to be another full blown review done on the entire fitness program and injury management processes as well as all the personnel in these critical areas at seasons end?Totally unacceptable with what's going on with our injury rates. Yes all clubs get injuries but why are ours so great in numbers and repetitive since 2014/15?
It should be independent this time. Not driven from within.

I may be missing something, but the surface of the oval appears to have always been - dirt, grass, etc.

I dont know the geology of this area on the north bank of the Yarra River, and other posters might. That could be an issue.

Otherwise it seems inconceivable to me that the club, or our predecessors, would dig up the surface to put down a hard layer beneath. The oval is not sited on top of a carpark or a basement. When the old OP buildings were pulled down - mid-2000s - surely the practice then was to remove the building rubble (and any other nasties) from the site, and not bury the stuff or use it as fill?

The soil in that area is silty clay, same as Vic Park.

Focusing on sub grade is a red herring imo it’s predicated on the assumption that insitu soil is “soft”. With the exception of problematic soils throughout melbourne houses are typically founded on soil, generally at 600 deep there’s sufficient bearing capacity for a second story. So insitu soil isn’t “soft”.

Rather I’d be investigating the drainage, with modern playing surfaces there’s a significant buildup over the natural ground which is graded to allow efficient drainage. There is a relationship between soil strength and moisture conditioning. So is the drainage too efficient and not enough moisture retained in the soil medium.

I think its bigger than sacking the fitness staff. We've already done that twice in the last 5 or 6 years.

Some serious investigation has to be on the ground. I wasnt a believer of the theory but there are too many soft tissue and stress injuries for it not to be a factor.

I hope they rip it up and do preseason at Vic park.
I got an email from the club headed by “... help us raise $1,000,000” and I thought well thank God they’re finally ripping up that ******* training oval.

Turns out it was some frivolous nonsense about ending homelessness, as if there aren’t more important things going on in the world...

How come under mm we never had these injuries get rid of the fitness gurus down at Collingwood
2011 wasn't that long ago.

Players such as Nick Maxwell, Darren Jolly, Chris Dawes, Alan Didak, Ben Johnson, Heath Shaw, Dale Thomas and Alan Toovey had unsettled seasons and didn't enter the finals with any continuity.

As the finals neared, up to six first-choice players bounced in and out of the line-up with injury or suspension.

It got to the point where Malthouse, after the Pies' hard-fought victory over West Coast in the first final, said every single player needed the weekend off.

We are at 20 players on the injured list as just reported on 7 with Quaynor & JDG the latest additions...😩

Remove this Banner Ad

Back