150 Year Anniversary Dinner

Remove this Banner Ad

Some great speeches.

That goal from Carey on the run against Geelong is one of my favourite clips. He wants them to come at him afterwards - almost daring them to get in his face. That's Wayne Carey to me, supremely talented - and with extreme physicality to back it up. As a club built around "us vs them" Carey is the obvious choice for #1. That's the way he played and lived. As a kid in the 80's and early 90's my memories of Carey are of him playing with 3 blokes hanging off him all game.

I'm 5th generation North. Pop said Les was the best he had seen before he passed ( pre- Carey days )
Yep. My grandma still says that at nausea (May she Rest In Peace). That’s why I had a cool multi last night - Carey to be #1 into The Fault being top 10. I only got $1.22 for it, but when you whack $50 on it, it soon adds up.

Had a good chat to Jy and LDU towards the end of the night. Both were loving hearing all the old stories and you could see they were getting caught up in the history of the club.

LDU mentioned that he feels a bit stuck behind Cunners and Higgo. I told him to bide his time and just focus on improving his fitness and learning from these blokes whilst they're still around. He's a bull and just wants to be in the middle. Just needs to up his fitness to get to more contests.

Thank you to the NORTH MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB for a great night - wow wee. Just to walk in the presence of the top 10 players of all time was just amazing. what a club. On a side note - To all those doubters on Rhyce Shaw, i can allay your fears - what an absolute top notch person he is. spoke with him for a few minutes and his focus and drive for North is huge. He genuinely loves the club. GO ROOBOYS

My favourite moment of the night was Tarryn Thomas asking Wellsy for a photo, Wellsy turns around and Carey is there who hugs him and Wellsy asks Duck for a photo.

I just stood there watching it taking it all in.

Gun top 10

Will take someone special to bump Carey

So privileged to have seen most of them play in person
I just did a quick count......Ive seen 8 out of the top 10 live !!

A few of us here would have.....id be surprised if there were one here that seen 9 out of the top 10 let alone all of them.

Stevo top 10?

Wouldn't even have him top 20.

In fact, I reckon Cunnington is the better player by the time his career is over.
No way !! I think many here have forgotten how good he was ......he ran all day, from the start to the end. And no half arsed sch1t either 100% effort.

Had a good chat to Jy and LDU towards the end of the night. Both were loving hearing all the old stories and you could see they were getting caught up in the history of the club.

LDU mentioned that he feels a bit stuck behind Cunners and Higgo. I told him to bide his time and just focus on improving his fitness and learning from these blokes whilst they're still around. He's a bull and just wants to be in the middle. Just needs to up his fitness to get to more contests.
youre advice was right on the money.

The only reason I reckon Cable missed out was due to lack of games.

Carey: 244
Greig: 294
Dench: 275
Aylett: 220
Harvey: 432
Blight: 178
Schimmelbusch: 306
Foote: 134
Stevens: 292
Glendinning: 190

Barry Cable: 115

Yep. Had Cable not gone back to WA for three years instead of staying with North, he would have been up there. But I believe that was a condition of his coming to North in 1970.

I think they got the top 10 right by and large. Was privileged to see them all in action except Foote. And my Dad used to say Foote was the best he had ever seen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Had Cable not gone back to WA for three years instead of staying with North, he would have been up there. But I believe that was a condition of his coming to North in 1970.

I think they got it the top 10 right by and large. Was privileged to see them all in action except Foote. And my Dad used to say Foote was the best he had ever seen.
you seen aylett play?

you seen aylett play?
I did. Was there at the G the day he broke his arm and ended his career effectively. Classy rover. Very classy. Absolutely fantastic bloke but his GC treachery will always tarnish my love of him.

A few of us here would have.....id be surprised if there were one here that seen 9 out of the top 10 let alone all of them.
Three for me. Showing your age there ozzy!

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only reason I reckon Cable missed out was due to lack of games.

Carey: 244
Greig: 294
Dench: 275
Aylett: 220
Harvey: 432
Blight: 178
Schimmelbusch: 306
Foote: 134
Stevens: 292
Glendinning: 190

Barry Cable: 115

Exactly. Also when Cable returned to North in 1974 he was over 30 and not as good as he was in 1970.
Blighty was a highlight reel but he did have some ordinary games, lacked the consistency of some others. So exciting though for we success starved supporters.
Dench changed the way the game was played by the full backs. Amazing player.

Surprised at the lack of love for Laurie Dwyer. Twice runner up in the Brownlow - twice Syd Barker medallist. Classy winger.
Legend status in our hall of fame. Probably missed out due to a lack of a Premiership (Stevo) or actually winning the Brownlow (Glendinning). I'd have him at 11 or 12.

Would have loved to have seen big Rosco play... I actually think we started supporting North after his hit on the Essendon bloke at Windy Hill. My Argy dad took one look at the dirty snipers in Blue and White Stripes and that was the team.

Everyone was else was pretty skinny, but Rosco was an absolute beast.

I still think we need individual player DVD/downloadable highlight packages... Every possession of their career on film. Or at least every Carey goal/assist/mark.

I've seen 8. My mum rated Laurie Dwyer highly too.

Surprised at the lack of love for Laurie Dwyer. Twice runner up in the Brownlow - twice Syd Barker medallist. Classy winger.
I had Twinkletoes in my 10. Also had Arch and Cable as well. They would comfortably be in the 11-15 range after the 10 that were selected.

Les Foote only played 134.
Still 19 games more than Cable. More to the point, when Foote played, the average H & A season was only 18 games long, which significantly reduces the amount of games over a 11 year career when compared to today.

We all knew they would pick one or two blokes from yesteryear and from everything I’ve heard, Foote was one of our best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back