EDFL Div 1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you got that wrong... and no this isn't Tumay . I think the only people I've ever spoken to from Hillside are in a junior capacity so think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Anyway, there's people at your club that people at our club have strong opinions of as well from years gone by but we don't hold that against the club for something that happened 10 years ago. Faz, Harley and the senior playing group are trying to get things right but there's a lot of baggage at league HQ and in club land that we have to discard fron the past but we feel we're getting there. Just give us a chance. Everyone from the CEO down said we didn't stand a chance this year and they wished ES had gotten in ..... and look where they are this year. I think we deserve more credit then we are getting. First team since EK to come up in the last few years and win some games to (hopefully) survive the first season.

We'll probably cop the wrath of a fired up Tulla this week so expect the haters to be back next week smashing us but if TL beat OP we're safe in div 1 next season.

And gp you sleep turbo.... these late nights do you No good! We're you up all night calculating points?

The Hammer. Good bloke I hear. Playing supers at HS.

Actually I’m sure we have meet once if your name starts with T, and I think your alright and set a good example. But the place needs more people like that. Other than that I’m not a fan sorry to say, as seen some things in the past that we’re not good. But I think your “senior” coach (and captain) are pushing the club in the right direction just need to continue to recruit good players and coaches to help them push forward the right attitude.

Anyway getting back to my comments, it was only a joke but I knew it would stir you up. You need to get a sense of humour UTR.

Gee this div1 keeps me up late.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I did wonder why everyone was saying DC made explosive comments when I listened to the highlights off the app, but it seems someone at city hall must have told Adem to take that out. That's disappointing. Like the AFL - all about protecting the brand at the expense of integrity of the comp. Lots of respect for Adem and the way he calls it so someone higher up may have told him to take that bit out which is disappointing. Mr Webb hasn't exactly covered himself in glory this year on many fronts (EK, AH and the joke that has been junior grading this year... don't get me started on that...)
The post game live show was also a very interesting listen (compared to the garbage edited version posted on the EDFL website).
  • The commentators spoke of the goal umpire debacle and were all in agreeance that it was a shocker
  • Pat Christofi was more reserved than I expected not wanting to be called flag favourites, and concentrating on 'one week at a time'.
  • Dave Connell was fuming and when asked on his thought of the situation, the split round byes and rightfully commented on what a disgrace the EDFL has been this year and that administration has had a shocker this year.
  • Adem Saricaoglu who is one of the most respected media people in the EDFL spoke straight after DC and what he had to say was the biggest surprise to me which was also edited out. After DC had finished his thoughts on the EDFL, Adem then went onto say something along the lines of 'I can't comment on what he (DC) said as I'm in a compromised position, but I'm glad he said what he said'.

Well you got that wrong... and no this isn't Tumay . I think the only people I've ever spoken to from Hillside are in a junior capacity so think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Anyway, there's people at your club that people at our club have strong opinions of as well from years gone by but we don't hold that against the club for something that happened 10 years ago. Faz, Harley and the senior playing group are trying to get things right but there's a lot of baggage at league HQ and in club land that we have to discard fron the past but we feel we're getting there. Just give us a chance. Everyone from the CEO down said we didn't stand a chance this year and they wished ES had gotten in ..... and look where they are this year. I think we deserve more credit then we are getting. First team since EK to come up in the last few years and win some games to (hopefully) survive the first season.

We'll probably cop the wrath of a fired up Tulla this week so expect the haters to be back next week smashing us but if TL beat OP we're safe in div 1 next season.

And gp you sleep turbo.... these late nights do you No good! We're you up all night calculating points?

Hey I wasn’t referring to Hammer as know your not him, but think your name starts with the same letter T. I’m sure I’ve meet you before and you had the best interest of footy in mind and trying to teach people the best path to take, but your job wasn’t easy as some just don’t get it but you were trying and doing the right thing by your club and footy in general.

I’m over counting points but look out for those calculators they used in the early rounds to maybe reappear come finals. 😉

I did wonder why everyone was saying DC made explosive comments when I listened to the highlights off the app, but it seems someone at city hall must have told Adem to take that out. That's disappointing. Like the AFL - all about protecting the brand at the expense of integrity of the comp. Lots of respect for Adem and the way he calls it so someone higher up may have told him to take that bit out which is disappointing. Mr Webb hasn't exactly covered himself in glory this year on many fronts (EK, AH and the joke that has been junior grading this year... don't get me started on that...)

If anything I think it hurts the brand more now that its so obvious they have censored the comments of the coaches and also their own media team. Supporters have been calling for some transparency and honesty out of the league all year.

I don't know for certain but given some FB comments I think Barmaid might be on the money regarding DC getting a wrap on the knuckles from the league.

If anything I think it hurts the brand more now that its so obvious they have censored the comments of the coaches and also their own media team. Supporters have been calling for some transparency and honesty out of the league all year.

I don't know for certain but given some FB comments I think Barmaid might be on the money regarding DC getting a wrap on the knuckles from the league.

Good on him I say for having the courage to say what most have been thinking

Sadly it's the way of the world now, opinions matter if they align with those in charge, and the narrative is always controlled (and doctored) based on how, what, why establishments want (or need) themselves to be preceived ... sadly local football environments are only conforming to how it's done at higher levels of sport and often every day business, not to mention our goverment depending which media outlet (left or right) you're in bed with.

And social media platforms allow perfectly for narrative's to be driven from within, and by-laws/policy put in place to protect said narratives.

Last edited:
Sadly it's the way of the world now, opinions matter if they align with those in charge, and the narrative is always controlled (and doctored) based on how, what, why establishments want (or need) themselves to be preceived ... sadly local football environments are only conforming to how it's done at higher levels of sport and often every day business, not to mention our goverment depending which media outlet (left or right) you're in bed with.

And social media platforms allow perfectly for narrative's to be driven from within, and by-laws/policy put in place to protect said narratives.

Interesting point Doona, businesses and higher levels of sport would love to completely control the narrative but free media exists to scrutinize and challenge these narratives. In this case though the EDFL are controlling nearly all of the media coverage.

Interesting point Doona, businesses and higher levels of sport would love to completely control the narrative but free media exists to scrutinize and challenge these narratives. In this case though the EDFL are controlling nearly all of the media coverage.
The league has gone backwards since Marc Turri left as General Manager. I’m sure if he was still in charge clubs would’ve been punished for breaking the rules.

The league has gone backwards since Marc Turri left as General Manager. I’m sure if he was still in charge clubs would’ve been punished for breaking the rules.

Absolutely agree with you there Horse. He was also very open and honest in his communication with all clubs and willing to explain the hows and whys.
All you get now is lip service or silence.
In the end, even he had enough.

Absolutely agree with you there Horse. He was also very open and honest in his communication with all clubs and willing to explain the hows and whys.
All you get now is lip service or silence.
In the end, even he had enough.

So what is the solution? New EDFL board, AFL Vic to investigate and intervene, what exactly? Interesting to know, but something needs to be done.

I totally get that, but even the AFL chain of command back to us at poxy community levels have some control as most media folk seem more scared of losing access or their accreditations to report and represent accurately on what’s happening at local levels.

The most influential ex players and journo’s who started locally could really put local footy up in lights but know too damn well where their bread is buttered to make it a topic.

$17million from NAB Auskick rego’s alone, yet I know my local gets about $5 per kid of that ... the rest is lost to Im buggered if I know where.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we are on the ineptitude of the EDFL - when I last went to the tribunal (which was a couple of years back now) there was 1 room that players and club representatives wait before the hearing. So this is for both parties - the person reported and the ‘victim’. There were no EDFL representatives in that room to supervise. Tell me how this is acceptable. Why aren’t there separate rooms? What do you think is discussed? If coercion isn’t encouraged with this set up then I don’t know what is? Unless times have changed...

So what is the solution? New EDFL board, AFL Vic to investigate and intervene, what exactly? Interesting to know, but something needs to be done.

I think the AFL Vic need to intervene and do something to right these wrongs of season 2019. They need to do it now with 2 rounds to go and make the necessary changes to points & % of clubs who played outside the rules. Fix it now.. make a statement to right the wrongs before it’s to late..If nothing is done please tell me what is then stopping a club like EK from fielding there best side in a GF (if they make it) and therefore playing at say 50-53 points. There will be no action as per usual. It’s just gone beyond a joke and most likely the reason AH decided explore other options.

What AH Heights did is nothing in comparison to the EDFL/EK points issues.

The EDFL is a big league generating big $$ so surely they can make decisions or employ people educated and strong enough to implement processes and rules. It’s not that hard.

Turbo, nothing is going to happen. All your ranting is making you look like a little boy who dropped his ice-cream and won't stop crying. Starting to feel a little sorry for you.

I think the AFL Vic need to intervene and do something to right these wrongs of season 2019. They need to do it now with 2 rounds to go and make the necessary changes to points & % of clubs who played outside the rules. Fix it
Turbo, nothing is going to happen. All your ranting is making you look like a little boy who dropped his ice-cream and won't stop crying. Starting to feel a little sorry for you.

I know nothing is going to happen as to corruption in the EDFL offices.

The problem is that Mark Morgan has left his post looking after the north west from and AFL vic point of view and Shane abdilla is doing both Western and northern. How the hell the AFL don't have the money to put someone else in even in the interim is beyond me
I think the AFL Vic need to intervene and do something to right these wrongs of season 2019. They need to do it now with 2 rounds to go and make the necessary changes to points & % of clubs who played outside the rules. Fix it now.. make a statement to right the wrongs before it’s to late..If nothing is done please tell me what is then stopping a club like EK from fielding there best side in a GF (if they make it) and therefore playing at say 50-53 points. There will be no action as per usual. It’s just gone beyond a joke and most likely the reason AH decided explore other options.

What AH Heights did is nothing in comparison to the EDFL/EK points issues.

The EDFL is a big league generating big $$ so surely they can make decisions or employ people educated and strong enough to implement processes and rules. It’s not that hard.

The two names you mention Uptherox I've had a bit to do with thru footy, and whilst I'll stop short of putting my left one on the line with a statement - these two blokes get it, know local footy but I'm pretty sure the headaches you all are experiencing on the front line (and mentioning thru here) don't actually fall into their portfolio's.
Correct me if I'm wrong but actual EDFL club operations has little to do with them.

In terms of questioning money on offer, therein lies the problem. Some of the roles in footy don't actually align with a decent remuneration, so often you get keen as people willing to work for less and not having the grounding, experience and/or knowledge.

Personally I woulda loved to have got into football in some description as a career, but firstly my skillset obviously see's me overlooked time and time again, but also my experiences, passion etc etc falls short of my commitment as a single dad and being able to meet my obligations to my kids.

The 1-2 positions I could've grabbed in the past were far more suited financially to a kid straight out of a text book looking to join the workforce for the first time.

The two names you mention Uptherox I've had a bit to do with thru footy, and whilst I'll stop short of putting my left one on the line with a statement - these two blokes get it, know local footy but I'm pretty sure the headaches you all are experiencing on the front line (and mentioning thru here) don't actually fall into their portfolio's.
Correct me if I'm wrong but actual EDFL club operations has little to do with them.

In terms of questioning money on offer, therein lies the problem. Some of the roles in footy don't actually align with a decent remuneration, so often you get keen as people willing to work for less and not having the grounding, experience and/or knowledge.

Personally I woulda loved to have got into football in some description as a career, but firstly my skillset obviously see's me overlooked time and time again, but also my experiences, passion etc etc falls short of my commitment as a single dad and being able to meet my obligations to my kids.

The 1-2 positions I could've grabbed in the past were far more suited financially to a kid straight out of a text book looking to join the workforce for the first time.
You are correct Doona, Mark and Shane have no say in the administration of the EDFL. In regards to remuneration of staff again you are correct. Advertised roles are flooded with applicants who have no experience or understanding of the dog eat dog world of competitive community sport. Look at who clubs invest in coach and player wise, big $$$$$$ and they are being administered by staff who cannot read a rule book. Unless the staff are being instructed to ignore the rule book.

I wasn't having a crack at either guy in any way. Mark was a top bloke and I've spoken to Shane earlier this year as well and he seems like a great bloke. My point was that poor Shane now has to look after the West and North and it's too much to expect him to do on his own.

Everyone is crying out for AFL vic to get involved and I'd have thought as the representative for this region they would be the ones the clubs contact in order to help resolve these issues or escalate higher up within AFLVic

Am i wrong in assuming it's never the power clubs that raise alarm bells, as more often than not they are resourced enough to always get what they want or need?

Guys if you think you are the only league experiencing frustrations and concerns, you may be alarmed to know you are not on your own, and sadly for all the reasons highlighted above.
It's a statewide query, and sadly no media person worth their salt is willing to put their plums on the line and go into bat for grassroots football in the fashion the game (and you all as volunteers) deserve.

I'm extremely appreciative and fortunate (and I say extremely fortunate) to have made many friendships and connections thru experiencing my football over 20 odd years now in leagues in the Bendigo, Shepparton, Yarra Valley, Goldfields regions, and even recently thru the Northern as well as your local EDFL comps. I've also, thru friendship, taken an interest in the Outer East and MNPFL landscapes at present as I've floated down there a bit too of late.

I know I'm not everyone's cup of tea, but hand of heart I've always tried my very best to do all I can in the best interest of the club I was involved in at the time.
Sometimes even those instincts have been costly as wasting money on substandard or underperfomers, or erring on the wrong of common sense and gutfeel has cost me recruits as well as a number of games too - but I've always tried to see it as I'm serving this joint, with a stack of history and it's my repsonsibility to help sustain it.
Guess it's always been with my old Broadford FC head on - how I'd expect to see my grassroots and family heritage reflected, respected and sustained where I once cut my teeth and found my love and passion for community football.

All conversations seem to be very similar, sadly however there have been no answers or mechanisms put in place from above to rectify or even to begin to help the situation that our game at grassroots level is on the brink. Things appear no closer to improving unless the clubs across all regions truly align somewhat in their thoughts, and as a collective of delegates go into bat as united shareholders and current custodians of the game, demand more for what you're all being forced to fork out in league fee's etc.

And whilst I love the fact our girls have a pathway, but where has there been genuine foresight, grants, liasing with local councils to ensure the game grows with the appropriate facilities in place to accomodate this rapid growth?

Conspiracy Theorist in me oftens thinks some adminsitrations around the stare have been requested to sit back in the hope natural attrition kicks in and some clubs shut up shut ... but then I think no way would anyone who is involved in football could want that.

So what is it they want, and why, how, when is this going to occur?

I so wish my life was set up, secure, safe and financially capable of being a provider to my kids so that I could actually devote a period of my life to trying to fight the good fight ... sadly we (most of us) all have to work for a living and then devote time when we can, only to receive greater demands than a decade ago from full time employees.

Sorry to bang on, but it's only coz we care yeh?

Last edited:
Am i wrong in assuming it's never the power clubs that raise alarm bells, as more often than not they are resourced enough to always get what they want or need?

Guys if you think you are the only league experiencing frustrations and concerns, you may be alarmed to know you are not on your own, and sadly for all the reasons highlighted above.
It's a statewide query, and sadly no media person worth their salt is willing to put their plums on the line and go into bat for grassroots football in the fashion the game (and you all as volunteers) deserve.

I'm extremely appreciative and fortunate (and I say extremely fortunate) to have made many friendships and connections thru experiencing my football over 20 odd years now in leagues in the Bendigo, Shepparton, Yarra Valley, Goldfields regions, and even recently thru the Northern as well as your local EDFL comps. I've also, thru friendship, taken an interest in the Outer East and MNPFL landscapes at present as I've floated down there a bit too of late.

All conversations seem to be very similar, sadly however there have been no answers or mechanisms put in place from above to rectify or even to begin to help the situation that our game at grassroots level is on the brink. Things appear no closer to improving unless the clubs across all regions truly align somewhat in their thoughts, and as a collective of delegates go into bat as united shareholders and current custodians of the game, demand more for what you're all being forced to fork out in league fee's etc.

And whilst I love the fact our girls have a pathway, but where has there been genuine foresight, grants, liasing with local councils to ensure the game grows with the appropriate facilities in place to accomodate this rapid growth?

I so wish my life was set up, secure, safe and financially capable of being a provider to my kids so that I could actually devote a period of my life to trying to fight the good fight ... sadly we (most of us) all have to work for a living and then devote time when we can, only to receive greater demands than a decade ago from full time employees.

Sorry to bang on, but it's only coz we care yeh?
A united approach is what is required however I believe the EFL, EDFL and VAFA are the only leagues without AFL Vic influence within metropolitan football. NFL, WRFL. SFL, RDFL all have AFL Vic basically administrating their competitions.
Everyone employed in football, wants to end up at the Holy Grail. So no one will speak out or hold anyone to account. The AFL Vic (AFL ) is answerable to no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back