Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

More about the rest and recovery. Not having to make a return flight to Melbourne/Brisbane plus the fatigue/less recovery time associated with it is huge for a team who’s travelled the most kms in the league
It is what it is. close comp and sometimes you lose games. The point is, historically we have had almost zero chance of winning a flag finishing outside top 2. Now and specially after this game against so called MCG experts, I am pretty confident in Eagles come finals time.Let's not forget there could be a Nic Nat fella included.

Our defenders appear to have a hard time against reiwoldt. He's too athletic and, more importantly, he keeps his feet in the contest. Too often you see barrass or mcgovern going to ground whilst reiwoldt instantly recovers once the ball hits the deck. It's those moments that create separation and scoring opportunities.

Need Duggan and Nic back first week of finals if we are to go all the way again.

* Desperately missing Duggan's aggro in the back half. Defense has been all-at-sea since he went down, and I dont think thats a coincidence.

* Our clearance work is Bottom 4 stuff. Need an A+ ruck to give our mids the leg-up they need.

Very, very flat right now. In all likelihood we're going to have to travel to Brisbane and play a final in hot, sticky, energy-sapping conditions. Lose that and we might not have the petrol in the tank to turn it around the following week and avoid straight sets.

No s**t because kick mark style not effective in wet. Would have cruised to a 7 goal win if it didn't rain

Disagree, didn’t rain until after half time. We got outworked. Outnumbered at almost all contests and totally unaccountable. Our talent gets us almost there, any team in the finals wants to play one on one against us will really put it to us.

both coaches super stubborn with their system. NO regard for the Melbourne weather :) .Great game of footy specially last quarter as both teams elevated to another level. Make no mistake Eagles and Tigers are much better than Lions and Cats. They have few extra levels that those two teams do not have.They also have winning flag mojo which comes handy come pressure time which neither of those two teams have. Would love to meet Tigers again at the G at the GF. Brisbae are good but I would be more scared of dogs if they make it than Brisbane to be honest.

Tigers very lucky today, the bounce of the ball went their way.
They'd rush kick and the ball would luckily land right in one of their players laps. Few times when the ball sat perfectly for them and not for us. They were much better in the rain.

Our defenders appear to have a hard time against reiwoldt. He's too athletic and, more importantly, he keeps his feet in the contest. Too often you see barrass or mcgovern going to ground whilst reiwoldt instantly recovers once the ball hits the deck. It's those moments that create separation and scoring opportunities.
Reiwoldt is a good player, but yes also observed us flapping about on the ground whilst he and various other richmond players stayed up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers very lucky today, the bounce of the ball went their way.
They'd rush kick and the ball would luckily land right in one of their players laps. Few times when the ball sat perfectly for them and not for us. They were much better in the rain.
Usually you can always tell who's going to win the game when the bounce of the ball goes your way. It's just the way it is sometimes.

+ Often the loser of these clashes turn it around in the return bout.

Think of us v Sydney in 05/06.
Geelong/Port late in 07.
Hawthorn/Geelong late in 08.
Geelong/St.Kilda late in 09.
Richmond/Geelong in 2017.

Probably a heap more out there. Let Richmond sit 4th and still be flag favourites.

Yep, good post. I think we also still underestimate the travel factor. Yes I know we travel every second week and the players are used to it etc. but it is galling when you look at a game like today against a team that hasn’t left their state for two months... We always seem to drop a late season away game. It is a tough ‘competition’ if you can call it that...

We just need to get the job done next week 👍 The week off afterwards and then it’s showtime :p

Not sure how old Hutch is but is age starting to catch up what with sustaining 2 hamstring injuries in a matter of weeks. Is he now dusted for the finals or won't we know until scans are done?

Wait for scans one would think, our most accountable player so I would think Simmo would want him ready by prelim week.

Positive
+We fought back when Richmond were dominating pretty much everything after qtr time. The never give up attitude is strong with this group.
+That new kid Rotham looked pretty good
+Cripps

Negative
-JK - didn't have a great game, barely sighted
-Kicking the ball blind out of defence (Sheed) to nobody and having it come straight back into our D50. Don't think I've seen us play like that all year.
-Not actually soccering the ball forward, always trying to pick the thing up. It's a bloody wet game!!
-Barrass
-Hutchings injury :(

Overall I'm not overly disappointed with this loss. The boys fought hard and never gave up despite being under the pump for probably more than half the game.

And you believe the AFL?! Nothing would surprise me:"we had a rethink. All that travelling would be unfair to the Cats. And it is an interstate side."
What surprises me that people on here don't seem to understand - a final is always to be played at the venue that can hold the largest crowd in your HOME STATE, which in Victoria is obviously the MCG. The only reason Geelong got a final against Freo back when was because there was another game being played at the MCG on the same day - from my recollection anyway?

Negative: we are playing free kick Hawthorn next week at home where the umpires have been making a point of not favouring us at home of late.
The Umps shouldn't be favouring anybody - they should just pay then where applicable and stay consistent throughout the game. Wishful thinking I know, but one day it may happen. 🤔

Dom Sheed 14 touches
Jack Redden 17 touches
This is why I always scoff when people in trading threads question whether we could possibly squeeze in this or that A grade midfielder.

These two had great finals series last year but they’re not reliably good enough unfortunately

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back