The Donny Pyke Farewell Tour

Remove this Banner Ad

Sacking Pyke is not the answer however he does need to change his team selection policy

Chapman and Roo need to go and go quuckly

Campo, Hart and Godden need to be shown the door

This season is a result of a decade of bad decsions and boys club thinking at the footy club

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sacking Pyke is not the answer however he does need to change his team selection policy

This season is a result of a decade of bad decsions and boys club thinking at the footy club

Theres a lot more wrong with pyke than just his team selection policy.

His “team selection policy” is a just one of the items that point to his stubborn inability to move away from his deeply conservative approach.

His reluctance to make changes during the game when the team is clearly being towelled up.

His quite obvious ignorance of the new 666 rules and bringing the ball back in after the opponent has scored a point.. the team has looked like a deer in the headlights all year which points to them not given any direction on how to combat either of these new rules.

His total inability to take any responsibility for the past two seasons horridness.. he blames the players.

He’s a complete dud.. and if hes still there next year it guarantees more of what we’re seeing now.

* him off.

I’m looking forward to the radio melts today...

S.Rowe this morning called both SA teams "s**t" and said that the Chapman, Fagan, Burton, Puke combo wasn't working.

I'm looking forward to hearing Cyril call in later today.

You reckon we're a pretty well coached and strategically adept team other than selection?

We have bewn a toxic club for a decade but all we do is keep sacking the COACH

Yes Pyke needs to addreas some elements of his coaching as did Dimma, Buckley etc

However we need to deal with those who have created a boys club and toxic culture

The players also have too much say and power at our footy club and anything they dont like they throw their skirts up

I think Pyke has been trying to reset thus however isnt getting visible support from Roo, Campo and Burton

Roo is way too close to the players and talks the good line in the media but has actually done * all at the club

Pyke also hasnt been given the assistants he has ask for because the club continues to pay under market rate for top line assistants

It's a false conclusion though to say that because we've sacked coaches before we were wrong to, or should not do so again.

Yes, we need other broader and structural changes at our club.

That does not mean that Pykes performance has been anything other than unacceptable for two years now. What reason is there to think that he'd be good in a different structure?

- Primary strategy seems bad
- Little adaption in game
- Inability to develop game plans targeting opposition
- Putrid selection and doubles down on failed seniors in times of trouble
- Philosophically clings to 'structure' like Linus to his blanket.
- Blames players rather than takes accountability
- Seems to have lost the playing group
- We know has alienated players who eventually left.

There are, in my view, no signs that he can be better. Time he gets got.

The question should be: is Pyke the right man to lead the club through a rebuild and then to a flag on the other side?

There is no point keeping a coach for just the rebuild, then switching them out to get success. You should install the right person in the seat from the start.

I don't think Pyke has what it takes to be a premiership coach. So he is not the right man for the rebuild

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question should be: is Pyke the right man to lead the club through a rebuild and then to a flag on the other side?

There is no point keeping a coach for just the rebuild, then switching them out to get success. You should install the right person in the seat from the start.

I don't think Pyke has what it takes to be a premiership coach. So he is not the right man for the rebuild
Yep, given this is going to be a long haul it needs to be someone who can develop players and we’ve seen with Pyke he can’t.

It’s also his game plan.

It’s also his selections.

Plus I reckon his blandness has already bored the players.

But he can’t be the scapegoat if all else remains the same

We have bewn a toxic club for a decade but all we do is keep sacking the COACH

Yes Pyke needs to addreas some elements of his coaching as did Dimma, Buckley etc

However we need to deal with those who have created a boys club and toxic culture

The players also have too much say and power at our footy club and anything they dont like they throw their skirts up

I think Pyke has been trying to reset thus however isnt getting visible support from Roo, Campo and Burton

Roo is way too close to the players and talks the good line in the media but has actually done fu** all at the club

Pyke also hasnt been given the assistants he has ask for because the club continues to pay under market rate for top line assistants

I agree with this. The players have too much say. When things don’t go their way they throw the toys out the cot and refuse to play. How else can you explain “those” performances over the last 6 years?
They need to clean out the has beens and older players who influence the entire team before the new batch is tainted with the same petulant fragility..

It’s actually how immature children behave.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a false conclusion though to say that because we've sacked coaches before we were wrong to, or should not do so again.

Yes, we need other broader and structural changes at our club.

That does not mean that Pykes performance has been anything other than unacceptable for two years now. What reason is there to think that he'd be good in a different structure?

- Primary strategy seems bad
- Little adaption in game
- Inability to develop game plans targeting opposition
- Putrid selection and doubles down on failed seniors in times of trouble
- Philosophically clings to 'structure' like Linus to his blanket.
- Blames players rather than takes accountability
- Seems to have lost the playing group
- We know has alienated players who eventually left.

There are, in my view, no signs that he can be better. Time he gets got.

He's a fraud, who has been completely found out.

He has absolutely no ability to motivate the players (he doesn't even seem to have much care factor towards them) and his ideas are bafflingly bad.

He's a fraud, who has been completely found out.

He has absolutely no ability to motivate the players (he doesn't even seem to have much care factor towards them) and his ideas are bafflingly bad.
Agree. I honestly cant see why people would want Pyke to continue. I have nothing against Pyke other than I feel he is harming our club. He is one part of a major problem which could be fixed by removing Chapman, Burton, Riccuito. Roo talks a big game but he has been the chief architect of our problems along with Chapman. One of their biggest errors was hiring Pyke. Not that he was a bad coach but he just wasn't the right man for our club. Their other major mistake was hiring Burton. Riccuito backed by Chapman has history in looking after his ex team mates and giving aging player's contracts they didn't deserve. No wonder younger players left. They forced their hands by their mismanagement of our list. I guarantee if these men arent removed nothing at our club will change.

Last edited:
Interesting that Pyke is now calling for a full review of the football department. Is he looking for the club to axe Burton? Surely this review will see either Burton or himself, or both being axed.

Unless Burton is the problem with the players, Pyke is a dead man walking as our coach.
Pyke and the players all hate burton

If the club could get Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge to our club as assistants i would be very happy. Probably need 2 years before both could take over as head coach. Neither would likely come here and Mitchell sees himself as the next Hawks coach. Therefore Hodge would be the one i would be targeting. We need someone who would instill cultural change and get rid of the selfishness that is endemic in our playing list.

What were Pykes big moves in the biggest game of his career? What changes did he make to try and stem the Richmond run?

He's a dud.
He had none.. he’s fresh out of ideas as soon as his plan A fails..

the first warning signs of this came way back in round 7 (i think?) 2017 in Tassie against North.. north piled on 10 goals in the first quarter and pyke sat there watching it and changed nothing. Not one change was made.. he didnt even try send a forward back there as a spare man to attempt to stem the flow.. he simply watched on obviously hoping the tide would eventually turn.

In 2018 he would’ve put that season down to too many injuries.. collingwood have had more injuries this year than the crows last year and they are still in the top 8. What he did do in 2018 is continue to play the old players and favour the 2017 grand final team players, even when they weren’t 100% fit or simply out of form, over bringing in the youth..

Whats his excuse this year?.. hes had an almost fully fit side all year and his gameplan has been exposed and hes changed nothing. Still stuck with the old 2017 GF players, no matter how bad their current form, and left the youth in the Sanfl only calling one of them up here or there for the odd game..

Now here we are at the end of 2019 with a team of old 2017 GF failures, little to no development of the youth in terms of giving them AFL level experience..

two years wasted while Pyke, and those around him, have sat back hoping like hell that by some miracle the 2017 team will rise from the ashes.

That 2017 team and the 2017 comp is long gone.. but pyke is still back there with it.. still praying it will return.

Get rid of him now before he does anymore damage.

Edit: sorry, i tell a lie.. Pyke has a plan B.. his plan B is to run down to the bench from the coaches box half way through a quarter... just to make it look like he’s really engaged in making the big decisions.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back