No Oppo Supporters Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only - Next Part

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now let's take a deeper, objective look at this Carlton and Hawthorn situation with Coniglio.

We hear regularly that our list is old and on the decline, though admittedly that's really heard on here than in the media. But we also hear about Carlton's great young list everywhere. They are a team on the rise - so why would Coniglio want to go anywhere else?

Here's a look at the depth lists of both teams, and the ages of the players at the start of next season:

(Ok I've got no idea how the flip the image)
2r262yo.jpg

And here is what the best 22 would both look like with Coniglio in the side, and a few trades that we expect (Patton and Martin) and some other player movements that seem likely to happen.

Hawthorn 2020

Stratton (31) - Frawley (31) - Hardwick (23)
Jiath (20) - Sicily (25) - Scrimshaw (21)

Big Boy (30) - Jaeger (26) - Mitchell (26)
Henderson (31) - Coniglio (26) - Scully (28)

Wingard (26) - Lewis (21) - Gunston (28)
Breust (29) - Patton (26) - Hanrahan (21)

Worpel (21)
O'Brien (26)
Shiels (28)
Nash (21)

Average age: 25.68

Now this is all assuming that Burgoyne and Birchall take the GCS deals, that Puopolo is phased out or traded, and that Smith is traded (which seems likely).

And keep in mind a key player in Impey (24) will be sidelined for a while. IMO he will be the Burgoyne utility replacement in the long run.

The key concerns for mine are finding a FB to eventually take over from Frawley, a CHB so that Sicily can play a more natural rebounding role, and a ruckman to take over from Big Boy.

Carlton 2020

Newman (27) - Jones (29) - Simpson (35)
Docherty (26) - Weitering (22) - Marchbank (23)

Kreuzer (30) - Cripps (25) - E. Curnow (30)
Murphy (32) - Coniglio (26) - Walsh (19)

C. Curnow (23) - McKay (22) - Martin (25)
Fisher (21) - Casboult (30) - McGovern (25)

SPS (22)
Plowman (25)
Setterfield (22)
Silvagni (22)

Average age: 25.50

Now having a look at the depth chart it's safe so say that they do have a lot of talent on paper that will be fighting out for the last positions in the side - Dow, O'Brien, Gibbons, etc. So they may phase out Murphy, Simpson and Casboult next year which would reduce their age profile further. But those guys have shown nothing compared to the old heads that are still playing good footy (Simpson is ageless like Burgoyne).

Their chief concerns IMO mirror ours, in that they need a ruck and FB to come through. Though they do have Weitering who IMO is a very good young KPD.

Anyway as you can see there is a negligible difference in the age profiles in those teams, which are realistically what we will see next season.

I liked Clarkos face when Scott was talking about the Lions using Hipwood as a decoy and Cameron as the focal point against them....

Clarko was thinking we have been trying that same tactic with Cyril and Poppy the past 10 years and Fagan is now getting credit for it 🤦‍♂️
The classic was in 2008 against the Saints in the second prelim. We went hard to Mark Williams all night. He kicked 5.4. Rough kicked 4 straight and Buddy was largely unsighted after toweling up the Bulldogs with 8 goals the week before. Was Clarko at his best.

Last edited:
Now let's take a deeper, objective look at this Carlton and Hawthorn situation with Coniglio.

We hear regularly that our list is old and on the decline, though admittedly that's really heard on here than in the media. But we also hear about Carlton's great young list everywhere. They are a team on the rise - so why would Coniglio want to go anywhere else?

Here's a look at the depth lists of both teams, and the ages of the players at the start of next season:

2r262yo.jpg

And here is what the best 22 would both look like with Coniglio in the side, and a few trades that we expect (Patton and Martin) and some other player movements that seem likely to happen.

Hawthorn 2020

Worpel (21)
O'Brien (26)
Shiels (28)
Nash (21)

Now this is all assuming that Burgoyne and Birchall take the GCS deals, that Puopolo is phased out or traded, and that Smith is traded (which seems likely).

And keep in mind a key player in Impey (24) will be sidelined for a while. IMO he will be the Burgoyne utility replacement in the long run.

The key concerns for mine are finding a FB to eventually take over from Frawley, a CHB so that Sicily can play a more natural rebounding role, and a ruckman to take over from Big Boy.

Carlton 2020

SPS (22)
Plowman (25)
Setterfield (22)
Silvagni (22)

Now having a look at the depth chart it's safe so say that they do have a lot of talent on paper that will be fighting out for the last positions in the side - Dow, O'Brien, Gibbons, etc. So they may phase out Murphy, Simpson and Casboult next year which would reduce their age profile further. But those guys have shown nothing compared to the old heads that are still playing good footy (Simpson is ageless like Burgoyne).

Their chief concerns IMO mirror ours, in that they need a ruck and FB to come through. Though they do have Weitering who IMO is a very good young KPD.

Anyway as you can see there is a negligible difference in the age profiles in those teams, which are realistically what we will see next season.
The only one I don’t want to lose is Smith.😰 With Impey out, we will still need him.

Clarko withholds the truth everyweek. not 2 weeks ago he was being cagey around CJs debut. 5mins after the press conference it was announced he was debuting.

still, not party time until we see cogs driving a nissan in a polo next to kennedy statue in the arms of jaeger

So Clarko is still a chance to coach Carlton?

You can't pick and choose when he is dealing in half truths and when he is a man of his words.

Look for the record I believe if Cogs was to leave GWS it would be Hawthorn because it honestly makes sense. But I'm not ready to swallow the story that he is pretty much signed, sealed and delivered and you can "take that to the bank" (which apparently now means 95%).

I'm sure the club is confident they are first in the pecking order if he announces he's leaving, but i'll take Clarko's word for it that he and the club have not been told anything. That's not to say Cogs hasn't made up his mind, just that no one at Hawthorn or Carlton for that matter have been told.

Last edited:
When Clarko mentioned “Cogs” my ears did prick. I knew he spoke to him when they played them in Canberra. I thought he would have called him Coniglio🤓 Clarko was seen running along the beach at Coogee yesterday morning. Apparently he was talking to a prospective assistant coach in Sydney. 👏
Here’s the footage of Clarko’s run yesterday 😂
5B562EF2-5590-4371-80B6-D9CDAA9E7266.gif

The only one I don’t want to lose is Smith.😰 With Impey out, we will still need him.
Agree Smiths last two weeks have been superb. One of my favs and would hate to see him play anywhere else. The Bulldogs look dangerous atm and with him the the side would be lethal through the middle.

They have freed up Boyds money as well.

I don't get why Carlton fans are getting giddy over the fact Coniglio's agent is friends with SOS.

What do we think will have more pull - Coniglio's actual best mates, or his agent's friend?

Because Pickering and Clarko being mates served us so well with Buddy in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Clarko is still a chance to coach Carlton?

You can't pick and choose when he is dealing in half truths and when he is a man of his words.

Look for the record I believe if Cogs was to leave GWS it would be Hawthorn because it honestly makes sense. But I'm not ready to swallow the story that he is pretty much signed, sealed and delivered and you can "take that to the bank" (which apparently now means 95%).

I'm sure the club is confident they are first in the pecking order if he announces he's leaving, but i'll take Clarko's word for it that he and the club have not been told anything. That's not to say Cogs hasn't made up his mind, just that no one at Hawthorn or Carlton for that matter have been told.
A sense of sanity on this thread
Stop it Joe

Delete if this is in the wrong thread..

Does anyone have any info on what our plan is for the draft? Is it possible that we could trade out a player and pick to get high up for an Anderson or another highly rated young bloke?
That is what i beleive we're trying to do. Trying to turn our first pick into a higher one.

2r262yo.jpg

Hawthorn 2020

Worpel (21)
O'Brien (26)
Shiels (28)
Nash (21)

Carlton 2020

SPS (22)
Plowman (25)
Setterfield (22)
Silvagni (22)

Not sure how you did your average for the Carlton midfield but it is actually 25 not 21.3, so basically the same as ours.

Edit: By the way, appreciate the input!

Carlton getting Martin is pretty big for them. I'd be happy with that. He has a lot of class and may thrive with a change of scenery.
A few years ago I had a chat with one of the top guys at champion data and he told me that they keep extensive records on junior footballers which they track through a players career. He said it's as you'd expect with a lot of the top juniors going on to be brilliant AFL footballers. So I asked him the obvious question - who was the best junior footballer they'd monitored statically. And he said in just about every department is was Jack Martin.

Petracca!!!!!

(or Jayden Hunt)

But imagine what Clarko and Sammy could do with PETRACCA!!

Given Chad has played his best footy in the midfield this year - and it's not even close - perhaps a dynamic forward could be on the cards. He was flagged as a Cyril replacement by Clarko after all but might be seen differently now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back