Status
Not open for further replies.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Unpopular opinion / morning-after melt

I think this side is mentally weak and has been the whole time under Simpson and Hurn. 2018 was an anomaly.

This year we’ve just reverted back to the 2015-2017 flat track bully. Not in terms of thrashing the bottom sides, but in only performing when we’re allowed to play our preferred style.

As soon as the opposition makes it too hard for us to implement our champagne footy, we have no one (other than maybe Yeo) stepping up to fight back.

Last year, we managed to find some sort of spirit in the finals, and all of our players started to dig in, but whatever it was it clearly disappeared over the off-season.

So really when you look at things over the course of a few years, it seems more and more like 2018 was an outlier and we are just continuing to be a very talented but ultimately brittle one-dimensional side under Simpson and Hurn.

UTBC

The flat-track tag just doesn’t stick when you look at the body of work this season, especially the wins over Hawthorn (MCG), Adelaide (AO), Melbourne (Optus). We’ve had some shocking losses for sure but that’s more about being found out tactically than being mentally weak IMO

The flat-track tag just doesn’t stick when you look at the body of work this season, especially the wins over Hawthorn (MCG), Adelaide (AO), Melbourne (Optus). We’ve had some shocking losses for sure but that’s more about being found out tactically than being mentally weak IMO
Two of those sides were bottom 6 and struggling at the time though.

I agree to an extent. I think our midfield isn’t really premiership quality and winning a flag (especially sans Naitanui, Gaff) was a huge effort. A lot went right on GF day with 2 midfielders in particular having career days.

It seems like we’re wasting Kennedy-McGovern etc but I’d prefer to think of it as us winning an unexpected flag with a largely mediocre midfield group. Now that Kennedy is slowing down the wallpaper is coming off a bit more.

Collingwood at the g

Gws at their sandpit.

Nah op off the mark

Its hunger - its just been there in patches

We were within a kick of upsetting richmond at their dungpile

I feel like our mids have had too much asked for too long and they are exhausted - we just dont bat deep enough there and other teams bat deeper

Add that to the backs being 10% off and kennedy on the slide and they werent able to compensate.

Operation get kelly / conigs has to come off if we want another flag

This is a thread borne out of fustration of yesterdays result.

Dont 100% disagree with you. Every premier in a close game is lucky to win. The result last year could have very easily gone the other way.

Our game heavily relies on skill and scoring effieciency. That to me means its easy to negate against, as evident the last 2 weeks.

This plus a combination of the players not being totally switched on, believing it will just happen again and the dearth lack in midfield quality - which has been the issue for a while now. All becomes very fustrating.

Ah well at least we arnt melbourne supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now THIS is a melt I like to see!

I mean it could maybe be the biggest rule change in two decades straight after an interstate team wins the GF, who used several key tactics that now have to be completley thrown out the window (can't even be tweaked).

Hamstrung this year in terms of tactics, who has the better midfield is the only tactic now.

Happens every year there’s expectation. Every time there we’re called irrelevant we’ll exceed expectations and vice versa. Seems to be the only thing that gives us any motivation, being written off. We’ve had plenty of “the loss we had to have” this year, but nothings changed. Someone needs to get that vision of Gaff and have it playing in the next team meeting along with the vision of those 3 from last year. Don’t know how else we can light a fire.

18 team comp, it's incredibly hard to win flags.

We haven't had early draft picks in a long time. Look at our 22 from last night, the only top 10 draft picks in the lot were Gaff, Sheppard, Kennedy (who we didn't even draft) and Masten (who most don't rate), with Gaff the most recent of those drafted a decade ago. Yet we keep finishing in the top end of the ladder most years. We keep developing a-graders out of late picks regularly. Our assistant coaches constantly get pinched because of how well we do things.

We're an exceptionally successful club.

Best anomaly ever.

Man, how lucky are we to have come second, win three straight finals including beating an MCG tenant in the GF with three of our best 10 players missing. Pretty lucky how we’ve won more games under Simmo than any other team has in his tenure. Luckiest five years ever some would say.

Should have bought a lotto ticket instead of playing footy all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back