List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Must be somebody left we can have a crack at........

Surely there's someone out there we can grab in order to justify one of The Ziebulls 1,248 trade posts, and allow him to take credit for it as his idea?

You're a heartless prick Rhyce!:thumbsdown:

If we were really going after Howard, Jones etc we should have seen if Nik Kershaw was available
Wouldn't it be good...!

Incidentally, the fact that we're reduced to making lame 80s one hit wonder references is a general indication of the depths to which we've sunk.
And yet I still keep reading. Why?

I think that McKay needs more time. I remember when people used to say the same about Tarrant and he turned out to be ok.

McKay is still only 21! Big fellas do take more time to develop and there's not a heap of guys his age holding down key defensive positions in the AFL.

With Thompson gone there's a spot for him if he's good enough. Hopefully he has a big pre season and gets a chance early next year and can build from there.

I'll start to worry about his future if he can't cement his spot / play regular games next year.

I saw him play in the flesh against Sandringham in Majak's come back game in the VFL last season and thought he was best on ground.

He started forward, went back, went forward again, then back again.
Trademark Annabel Chong when describing how her record breaking day played out x 251 blokes.

Also describes the rigorous qualification process Howards was subjected to by Lethlean.

When Dougal queried "do you usually screen players in the Alberton toilets?" Lethlean issued a stern "don't talk".

Agree mate, it's just there's a tendency to exaggerate any critical sentiment to justify ridicule. ("sky is falling" labels etc)

Dougal Howard is neither here nor there but would've help address a list gap. But more importantly the club doesn't have a great track record landing targeted players from other clubs. Even when those clubs really don't have much on the surface to trump us with. It'd be good to see this strikerate improve.

We do have positives to our list management namely very good retention so it's not there aren't strengths to maintain into a new regime too.

We’ve basically gutted the place off field so it seems we have identified issues. Hopefully there’s a bit of short term pain that leads to long term pain.

Our strike rate does appear to be poor. Are we genuinely on the nose or have we allowed ourselves to victim of media perception?

It’s going to take Rawlings et al a good couple of years to fix whatever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKay is still only 21! Big fellas do take more time to develop and there's not a heap of guys his age holding down key defensive positions in the AFL.

With Thompson gone there's a spot for him if he's good enough. Hopefully he has a big pre season and gets a chance early next year and can build from there.

I'll start to worry about his future if he can't cement his spot / play regular games next year.

I saw him play in the flesh against Sandringham in Majak's come back game in the VFL last season and thought he was best on ground.

Yep, folks are jumping the gun with Ben, but I'll concede that he still has a couple of things to work on.

It's worth reminding folks that Robbie Tarrant had only played 7 games at the same age.

He always had the athleticism, he just had concrete hands when forward. Mc Kay looks like he has limited athleticism and that means he may struggle in defence and would need to play forward where it isn't as big of an issue.
I honestly think he's put on TOO much size - he's lost that athleticism he had as a junior, because he definitely had it.
Might just need to lean up a bit and keep working on that tank.

Do you think we have enough? I don't have any confidence in McKay at all, either in 2020 or beyond. When fit, I reckon Tarrant, Durdin and EVW combo can do the job, but with Ed's durability we'd be silly to be relying on that for 22 games. And we literally have no more young KPDs or KPs full stop. Perhaps we should have gone a bit harder for Howard, assuming it was money that got St Kilda over the line.

Isn’t it time we see where McKay and Durdin sit going forward? They have spent enough time developing and I think it’s make or break. Give them the minutes to cement a spot or prove that they’re not up to it. Plenty of mature age players floating around we can recruit as cover also. I think we need to pick the best KPD with our second pick going forward, Dekoning would be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I honestly think he's put on TOO much size - he's lost that athleticism he had as a junior, because he definitely had it.
Might just need to lean up a bit and keep working on that tank.

He's two inches taller than Tarrant, and 2 kgs lighter. Nothing wrong with Ben's size, athleticism, or his hands. He just need to hone his decision making, which is rarely a quick fix for a KPD.

Yep, folks are jumping the gun with Ben, but I'll concede that he still has a couple of things to work on.

It's worth reminding folks that Robbie Tarrant had only played 7 games at the same age.

85.7 efficiency is the only stat that counts. And he had some real deer in the headlight moments.
Patience is required.

85.7 efficiency is the only stat that counts. And he had some real deer in the headlight moments.
Patience is required.

Mate, do you remember that backline he was playing in? Anyone with decent footy nous would have been confused with that shite.

Again, his short kicking needs work, but it's more about decision making, and I have watched the kid play at least 20 times.

He's two inches taller than Tarrant, and 2 kgs lighter. Nothing wrong with Ben's size, athleticism, or his hands. He just need to hone his decision making, which is rarely a quick fix for a KPD.
Thanks for that clarification - he just looks big to me. But good to know!

I just hope we don't 'Majak' McKay (i.e. play 3 games, has a bad one, drop him for a few weeks, bring him back for a few games, has a bad one, drop him for a few weeks, and around we go). Consistent footy at the level is what saw Maj get used to the speed of the game. We've seen what the roller coaster can do to a player. We just need to be aware he's going to have bad games, we just need to give him a proper crack to see if he can make a real fist of it and be a real consistent AFL defender.

Doesn't look to have the athleticism to me based off what I have seen but hoping you are right and that he will have no issues on that front because I think he has the other tools to be good.

Mate, do you remember that backline he was playing in? Anyone with decent footy nous would have been confused with that shite.

Again, his short kicking needs work, but it's more about decision making, and I have watched the kid play at least 20 times.
Absolutely. I think his game should be simplified. Beat your man and give it to the better users. If he frees up Tarrant to play a more offensive role, all will be good in the world.
If Maj comes back, I think he’s probably out the door for opportunity. Not a slight on him, I think he’ll be a better AFL player then VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back