List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, if Brad can get a million dollars a year somewhere, I wouldn't begrudge him leaving. He's good but he's not that good, and he's only ever an innocuous injury away from missing a season at a time.

I reckon the Media, stuff 90% of trades up by reporting on it too early. I reckon Saints seen this and gone. Hold on, called GWS and gone, we need picks for Hill and you want to offload, lets do a deal.

Might you this deal is a lot better for GWS

Honestly, if Brad can get a million dollars a year somewhere, I wouldn't begrudge him leaving. He's good but he's not that good, and he's only ever an innocuous injury away from missing a season at a time.
If Brad gets up Luko and a top 10 pick, I'll do that

Getting tense and interesting now, draft picks being exchanged and flying all over the place from one club to another.

Its at a stage, Im not sure who has what pick in the top 20.

Usually pretty accurate and updated promptly

Lets say for a second Gold Coast bite that cherry and offer Pick 1 or 2

Would we be so cold even if we did the pick swap of 4 > 6 still bid on Green? Then take whoever we want

That would be amazing! GWS would hate us but it would move 6 up to 5

Would we be so cold even if we did the pick swap of 4 > 6 still bid on Green? Then take whoever we want

I'd do it. Fck em

The only risk is they don't match it and we miss Anderson - Doh!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand most things in footy, but I'm not great with the pick swap bidding etc.

What's the gist at the moment - GWS need our Pick 4? Fine, make them squirm and see what they dish up.

Basically, yeah.

GWS have the rights to an academy player, Tom Green. The Crows also want him and will bid on them (we have a reputation for doing that). If we do so, GWS still get him if they want, but they have to give up some picks to do it. Effectively, they would lose pick 6 (plus some later picks).

If they can do a swap with us, so they have pick 4, and we have pick 6, then they get to use pick 4 on someone else before we get a chance to bid. So they would get two top-end players instead of one.

Presumably they spoke to us about trading pick 4 for both picks 12 and 18, but we said no thanks, we want a top ten pick. I'm guessing that's why they did the trade with St Kilda. It wouldn't make sense otherwise because they actually lose points by doing the swap with St Kilda which makes it even harder for them to match our bid.

The only question is, what else are they going to throw in. Okay, we'll swap pick 4 for pick 6, but they have to give us something extra to make it worth our while. Future first round pick? A player? We'll see. Presumably we'll get more than the difference is normally worth because of the situation. To GWS, they are effectively getting an extra top 4 player for "free" if they can pull the trade off, so they are incentivised to give us a high quality return.

This is the second time our reputation for bidding on academy players has benefited us. We have an extra second round pick this year (pick 23), simply because we agreed last year to downgrade our pick in the 20s by just a few places so GWS could take an academy player before we had a chance to bid on them.

Last edited:
The only question is, what else are they going to throw in. Okay, we'll swap pick 4 for pick 6, but they have to give us something extra to make it worth our while. Future first round pick? A player? We'll see.

Our Pick 4 for their Pick 6 and a SA player, would be an awesome win for us imo.

This is the second time our reputation for bidding on academy players has benefited us. We have an extra second round pick this year (pick 23), simply because we agreed last year to downgrade our pick in the 20s by just a few places so GWS could take an academy player before we had a chance to bid on them.

I don't understand why any club would not bid on an academy player? If you rate that player at that spot in the draft, why would you not try to take him? Maybe you'll get lucky and the other team won't match the bid. Worst case, they do match it and you don't get him and you move on to your next preference, which is what you'd be doing anyway. But at least by bidding you don't give an opponent a free hit by not even trying to take the player.

I don't understand why any club would not bid on an academy player? If you rate that player at that spot in the draft, why would you not try to take him? Maybe you'll get lucky and the other team won't match the bid. Worst case, they do match it and you don't get him and you move on to your next preference, which is what you'd be doing anyway. But at least by bidding you don't give an opponent a free hit by not even trying to take the player.
And Green looks to be a good player

Basically, yeah.

GWS have the rights to an academy player, Tom Green. The Crows also want him and will bid on them (we have a reputation for doing that). If we do so, GWS still get him if they want, but they have to give up some picks to do it. Effectively, they would lose pick 6 (plus some later picks).

If they can do a swap with us, so they have pick 4, and we have pick 6, then they get to use pick 4 on someone else before we get a chance to bid. So they would get two top-end players instead of one.

Presumably they spoke to us about trading pick 4 for both picks 12 and 18, but we said no thanks, we want a top ten pick. I'm guessing that's why they did the trade with St Kilda. It wouldn't make sense otherwise because they actually lose points by doing the swap with St Kilda which makes it even harder for them to match our bid.

The only question is, what else are they going to throw in. Okay, we'll swap pick 4 for pick 6, but they have to give us something extra to make it worth our while. Future first round pick? A player? We'll see. Presumably we'll get more than the difference is normally worth because of the situation. To GWS, they are effectively getting an extra top 4 player for "free" if they can pull the trade off, so they are incentivised to give us a high quality return.

Okay, I appreciate the explanation.

I'd do 4 and a 2nd for 6 and their 2020 1st.

My guess is in many cases, the clubs haven't bothered to look closely at the academy players because they know they're not getting them.

I imagine there is also a sense that if you were actually successful, the player in question might be annoyed since they're generally from the local area and have assumed they'll be going to a particular club.

But I agree. If you think a player is worth the pick you're offering, why not bid? If nothing else, the earlier a bid comes, the more the other club has to give up to match. It benefits everyone.

I suspect we can do better than that - their 2020 1st is likely to be in the mid teens, after all. We could probably get away with just offering pick 4 for pick 6 and their 2020 1st, but I wonder if we'd prefer to get something now instead.

I wouldn't. Our 2019 2nd arguably holds more value than their 2020 1st, given that 2020 is reputed to be a weaker draft and one which is massively compromised by F/S and NGA selections (20 of the top-50).

If we assume that they finish 4th next year, then that's pick #16 (GC receive pick #11 for being awful). That is likely to blow out well into the 20s by the time F/S and NGA bidding takes place. Effectively we'd be looking at the same pick in a worse draft.

Adding the 2019 2nd vs 2020 1st actually makes the deal worse for us.

I wouldn't. Our 2019 2nd arguably holds more value than their 2020 1st, given that 2020 is reputed to be a weaker draft and one which is massively compromised by F/S and NGA selections (20 of the top-50). Adding the 2019 2nd vs 2020 1st actually makes the deal worse for us.

You could assume it will still be at least 5 picks apart.
That kinda makes up for the weaker draft. Would call that even at that point and thats the worst case scenario (assuming us 16th and GWS 2nd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back