Steven Silvagni: Football's Biggest Fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

Up until 2 days ago his list management over carlton's list rebuild was excellent.

Dropped the ball big time with papely and my suspicion is that SOS simply doesn't rate small forwards and how important they are in modern footy. It's the one area of GWS list that's been average despite their wealth of talent so he has form in neglecting small forwards.

Wouldn’t mind bringing ol’ Papely, and I reckon he’d go on to win a Norm Smith like one of my all-time favourites Scott Emblebury.

Lol.

What a pathetic troll attempt by the OP. Keep defending that hack Dodoro. Silvagni’s got another decade before he can be compared to the fraud with free reign to do what he wants at the Bombers.

Good to see Dodoro got another much needed flanker.

You are obviously a little simple, however cannot believe an Essendon supporter is bringing up "not winning a final" in your OP.
It’s a hilarious troll post because this poster got all cut about my thread about Dodoro. He has basically copy and pasted the whole thing and changed words.

Only someone as thick as him could think Silvagni and Dodoro’s tenures are comparable.

Lol.

What a pathetic troll attempt by the OP. Keep defending that hack Dodoro. Silvagni’s got another decade before he can be compared to the fraud with free reign to do what he wants at the Bombers.

Good to see Dodoro got another much needed flanker.
There is a whole thread dedicated to Dodoro where many Bombers supporters have directed their annoyance. This thread is for his mate SOS. Perhaps SOS has been mentored by his mate for too long and Dodoro’s incompetency is wearing off on him

There is a whole thread dedicated to Dodoro where many Bombers supporters have directed their annoyance. This thread is for his mate SOS. Perhaps SOS has been mentored by his mate for too long and Dodoro’s incompetency is wearing off on him
No this thread is a shot at me because the OP got upset I took a shot at Dodoro. He has basically copy and pasted my entire OP from the Dodoro thread.

He’s done a good job so far, not great. Pretty content with where the list is.

If we get Martin then that saves face somewhat, but I can’t understand his strategy with Papley. If, as he claims, he wasn’t available then I’m not sure why he bothered talking to Sydney for nine days.

I call bullshit. You either targeted the wrong guy or you’re lying now. That’s his one glaring misstep so far.

Shit thread by the way.

Am I the only one who think Carlton dodged a bullet or two?

Papley isn't worth pick nine in normal circumstances. Sure, he's contracted, but contracts get broken all the time and the blues need to keep building that midfield. Spending pick nine on a small forward is dumb when your midfield is still too young or mediocre to compete. He could easily hit his plateau as a guy who kicks 35-40 goals per season and then peter out like Robin Nahas. Try and get another Cripps or Curnow who were both drafted after pick nine.

Martin, he's a nice piece but the price seemed steep. He's an outside flanker who hasn't done that much to be considered a necessity. He plays like a skinny flanker and is 24. People just presume that every player shook from the suns will turn into diamonds in another setting but some of their "stars" are mediocre. Aaron Hall and Charlie Dixon come to mind. Give Cripps some more help or else the eagles or dockers will get into his ear. Didn't finish in the top ten of the suns' best and fairest and finished 10th the year before. Wow.

I think the AFL crowd love to believe that if you don't get deals done, you've failed, as clubs constantly need to move. But to me this is because the AFL "journos" love stories. Teams can sell their future through trading picks away.

Been hearing that excuse by Carlton supporters for 5 years now lmao

Sydney have pretty much lost all of their senior players and are the youngest team in the comp. Their rebuild has only been for a year and they have still made more progress than a team rebuilding since 2014! Same can be said of St Kilda and Brisbane.
And when was the last time the drug Essendon won a game that matters..
Like a final for example ..??

Has some hits and some misses but the blues list is shaping up nicely and should be able to nab a gem at 9 in the draft .
2020 is all about more games into the youth which should set them up nicely for an attack on finals action come 2021 .
Really enjoyed watching them play once Teague took over ... played the right way and took the game on .
The competition is far better when Carlton and it's fans are up and about .

As a Carlton supporter for fifty years, I can honestly say that SILVAGNI is extremely overrated, especially when you compare him to most other list managers.

An arrogant bloke who always targets the predictable, list clogging rubbish that has infested the Blues for the past few years. His first year was his BEST year when he had plenty of high draft picks to play with. Number one was Weitering, followed by Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, David Cunningham (yet to fulfil his potential) and his son, Jack.

Since then, one has to ask what talent has he brought to this club????

Drafted 2016->
SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson, Polson and Kerr (delisted) Rookied LeBois for three years of nothing

Drafted 2017->
Dow at 3, O'Brien at 10, De Koning, Schumacher (delisted), Garlett (delisted)

Traded for

2015->
Kerridge, Phillips, Lamb, Sumner, Gorringe, Plowman (all gone but Plowman)

2016->
Pickett, Marchbank, Smedts, Palmer (all gone but Marchbank)

2017->
Lobbe, Kennedy, Lang (Might all be gone)

2018->
Setterfield, McGovern, Newman (Good year)

2019->
Pittonet, Betts (TBD)

Could have signed Brandon Ellis - but decided to halt the deal after Cain Liddle presented the proposal to him.

Could have signed Ollie Wines - after representatives of Wines approached Carlton that he was interested in joining Carlton. Silvagni quickly stopped ANY further discussions, despite the obvious fact that Patrick Crippes needs another hard-bodied mid to help him.

Could have signed Dan Butler - but decided to halt the deal after initial talks involved SILVAGNI.

Silvagni always targets easy signings, players that lack ANY hardness at the ball.

As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't help to progress the club after four years of rebuilding, and I predict we willl still be a bottom four club in 2020.

SILVAGNI should have the decency to admit that he has STUFFED everything up, and do the honourable thing, which is to hand in his resignation. If not, I hope that he is sacked at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Up until 2 days ago his list management over carlton's list rebuild was excellent.

Dropped the ball big time with papely and my suspicion is that SOS simply doesn't rate small forwards and how important they are in modern footy. It's the one area of GWS list that's been average despite their wealth of talent so he has form in neglecting small forwards.

You are 100% correct. SILVAGNI delisted FOUR small forwards from Carlton's list this year: Alex Fasolo, De Boyes, Pickett and Garlett.
He did not want Eddie Betts, and everybody at Carlton knows that this arrogant tosser tried to stop the Betts deal going through, but David Teague and Brad Llloyd overrode Silvagni (thank god).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

being a tiger supporter i love sticking the boots into Carlton.

But in fairness to Silvagni it wont be until the majority of his recruits get to 50 100 games and into a mature age bracket 23 plus

He came to Carlton in 16 i think? and in that time has turned over virtually the whole list.

I reckon they are now into the age experience bracket where they need to start making decent strides.

If you do a total rebuild how long do people think it will take to start challenging.

I reckon people just dont look at the right KPI'S to judge where they should be at.

It took us under Hardwick 8 yrs to win a flag. I reckon it Took Geelong longer.As far as i can see Silvagni started the rebuild process in 2016.

As a Carlton supporter for fifty years, I can honestly say that SILVAGNI is extremely overrated, especially when you compare him to most other list managers.

An arrogant bloke who always targets the predictable, list clogging rubbish that has infested the Blues for the past few years. His first year was his BEST year when he had plenty of high draft picks to play with. Number one was Weitering, followed by Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, David Cunningham (yet to fulfil his potential) and his son, Jack.

Since then, one has to ask what talent has he brought to this club????

Drafted 2016->
SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson, Polson and Kerr (delisted) Rookied LeBois for three years of nothing

Drafted 2017->
Dow at 3, O'Brien at 10, De Koning, Schumacher (delisted), Garlett (delisted)

Traded for

2015->

2016->

2017->

2018->

2019->
Pittonet, Betts (TBD)

Could have signed Brandon Ellis - but decided to halt the deal after Cain Liddle presented the proposal to him.

Could have signed Ollie Wines - after representatives of Wines approached Carlton that he was interested in joining Carlton. Silvagni quickly stopped ANY further discussions, despite the obvious fact that Patrick Crippes needs another hard-bodied mid to help him.

Could have signed Dan Butler - but decided to halt the deal after initial talks involved SILVAGNI.

Silvagni always targets easy signings, players that lack ANY hardness at the ball.

As far as I am concerned, he hasn't help progressive's the club after four years of rebuilding, and I predict we willl still be a bottom four club in 2020.

SILVAGNI should have the decency to admit that he has STUFFED everything up, and do the honourable thing, which is to hand in his resignation. If not, I hope that he is sacked at the end of the year.
LMAO Iwish you did get Ellis. Talk about dodging a bullet. soft squibs who panic under pressure with ordinary disposal are not the way to rebuild.Ellis may run hard but thats about all he does well.

Traded for

2015->

2016->

2017->

2018->
Setterfield, McGovern, Newman (Good year), Bugg

2019->
Pittonet, Betts (TBD)
Good god, that’s worse than I thought when laid out like that. I don’t care what these guys cost in return, it’s terrible trading.

Suggest it suits his narrative perfectly.

If they are the best you've got to offer up in response to his comment, he has owned you.

Gibbons would be a fringe best 22 player in a premiership contending side, and we need to see a lot more of Williamson for him to be a tick (unless you call 2 games in 2 seasons a resounding success).
Isn't that the role of the recruiting manager
Not the list manager ???

Good god, that’s worse than I thought when laid out like that. I don’t care what these guys cost in return, it’s terrible trading.

It’s not great is it?

Hard to trade in top end talent in the middle of what was a knock down rebuild.
Hasn’t been able to find too many diamonds in the rough at this stage though.

We’d want to attract & land a couple of top liners across the next couple of years, adding probably another 2 or 3 best 22 role players with that.

Think he can be fairly judged in 2021

Love reading these "lets lay into everything Carlton" threads, I just sit back with a smug look on my face and wonder, how did our club manage to head fu** so many people?
Don't worry mate we Richmond supporters copped it for years and years
Eventually the wheel will turn and you can stick it Up every campaigner that gave you
Grief ,,,

Lol 'basket case'.

In 2019 we sacked our coach and were 1-10 and still managed:

75k members
One of the highest attendance average
Cripps 3rd in (?) Brownlow
Walsh Rising Star
7 wins
Not one player asking to leave the club
3 players nominate to get to us (Papley, Martin, Pittonet)

But yep, a basket case. We will get Martin in the PSD and it's a shame about Papley but not a huge deal.

Have a recruit called Sam Docherty who should be handy next year too.

Good times are comin' but as someone else said, get some cheap shots in while you can.

In Boltons last 11 games Carltons average games played and average age of their sides were:
R1 - 77.3 & 24 yrs 9 months
R2 - 78.1 & 24 yrs 8 months
R3 - 80.7 & 24 yrs 11 months
R4 - 83.3 & 24 yrs 10 months
R5 - 87.7 & 24 yrs 10 months
R6 - 88.7 & 24 yrs 11 months
R7 - 68.1 & 23 yrs 9 months
R8 - 71.5 & 23 yrs 9 months
R9 - 70.3 & 23 yrs 9 months
R10 - 77.9 & 24 yrs 3 months
R11 - 58.3 & 23 yrs 4 months

Under Teague
R12 - 79.5 & 24 yrs 3 months
R13 - 90 & 24 yrs 9 months
R15 - 93.5 & 25 yrs
R16 - 94.5 & 25 yrs
R17 - 93.3 & 25 yrs 1 month
R18 - 95.4 & 25 yrs 2 months
R19 - 89 & 25 yrs
R20 - 74 & 24 yrs 4 months
R21 - 99.1 & 25 yrs 4 months
R22 - 94.5 & 25 yrs
R23 - 96.2 & 24 yrs 10 months

Seems to me that you've been conned by Teague loading the side with experience once he took over to get some wins on the board and get himself the job, while Bolton continued to play kids despite being under pressure to produce results. Teague is going to have to start playing and developing the kids at AFL level sooner rather than later if you want those good times to arrive as he can't rely on the old blokes to keep carrying the load

Eddie Betts Marc Pittonet and Jack Martin, if you get him, aren't going to make much difference to Carlton and expecting Docherty to come back and star after 24 months out of the game with 2 knee reconstructions isn't putting any pressure on him at all.

As for players that wanted to come to Carlton you could have had a 2 time premiership player in Ellis for free and also picked up another 1 for a 4th round pick had SOS not got a hard on for bringing Betts back. While neither are going to win games off their own boot, a 26 year old Ellis with 170+ games of experience and an ability to run all day would have been a handy addition on the win at Carlton. While 23 year old Butler would have added the speed and pressure that Betts no longer possesses.

Oh and Carlton had 64k members, not 75k like you claimed, but fudging figures is a very Carlton thing.

It’s not great is it?

Hard to trade in top end talent in the middle of what was a knock down rebuild.
Hasn’t been able to find too many diamonds in the rough at this stage though.

We’d what to attract & land a couple of top liners across the next couple of years, adding probably another 2 or 3 best 22 role players with that.

Think he can be fairly judged in 2021
Yeah his first four years of trading you would have to give him a fail.

2015->

2016->

2017->

2018->

2019->
Pittonet, Betts (TBD)
I think Silvagni has improved, but my word that's a horrible list.

In Boltons last 11 games Carltons average games played and average age of their sides were:
R1 - 77.3 & 24 yrs 9 months
R2 - 78.1 & 24 yrs 8 months
R3 - 80.7 & 24 yrs 11 months
R4 - 83.3 & 24 yrs 10 months
R5 - 87.7 & 24 yrs 10 months
R6 - 88.7 & 24 yrs 11 months
R7 - 68.1 & 23 yrs 9 months
R8 - 71.5 & 23 yrs 9 months
R9 - 70.3 & 23 yrs 9 months
R10 - 77.9 & 24 yrs 3 months
R11 - 58.3 & 23 yrs 4 months

Under Teague
R12 - 79.5 & 24 yrs 3 months
R13 - 90 & 24 yrs 9 months
R15 - 93.5 & 25 yrs
R16 - 94.5 & 25 yrs
R17 - 93.3 & 25 yrs 1 month
R18 - 95.4 & 25 yrs 2 months
R19 - 89 & 25 yrs
R20 - 74 & 24 yrs 4 months
R21 - 99.1 & 25 yrs 4 months
R22 - 94.5 & 25 yrs
R23 - 96.2 & 24 yrs 10 months

Seems to me that you've been conned by Teague loading the side with experience once he took over to get some wins on the board and get himself the job, while Bolton continued to play kids despite being under pressure to produce results. Teague is going to have to start playing and developing the kids at AFL level sooner rather than later if you want those good times to arrive as he can't rely on the old blokes to keep carrying the load

Eddie Betts Marc Pittonet and Jack Martin, if you get him, aren't going to make much difference to Carlton and expecting Docherty to come back and star after 24 months out of the game with 2 knee reconstructions isn't putting any pressure on him at all.

As for players that wanted to come to Carlton you could have had a 2 time premiership player in Ellis for free and also picked up another 1 for a 4th round pick had SOS not got a hard on for bringing Betts back. While neither are going to win games off their own boot, a 26 year old Ellis with 170+ games of experience and an ability to run all day would have been a handy addition on the win at Carlton. While 23 year old Butler would have added the speed and pressure that Betts no longer possesses.

Oh and Carlton had 64k members, not 75k like you claimed, but fudging figures is a very Carlton thing.

That’s a rubbish comparison between the two coaches. Not only did you not see the glaring differences in the gameplay between the two coaches, but the numbers you’ve referenced are not diametrically opposed like you try to suggest.

Proof is in the pudding. GWS got better after he left and Carlton have been shit since he's been there
I must admit Carlton supporters are baited quite easily, but i would be absolutely stunned if you get a bite from this. Pretending to be stupid for a reaction must be at least believable...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back