Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

So we recruited no other elite runners in the past 10 years in a game that revolves heavily around running...

If it has taught me anything it's that first round picks are golden. We should've made some tough decisions and forced out some older talent to get more. Fortune favours the brave.

I met a former AFL umpire who did the same, ran crazy distances for fun. There is definitely a genetic component but you can still improve endurance as you age, iirc Kane Cornes winning time trials before retiring etc, hence my surprise that the younger guys won.
I think you've missed the point totally. Ned and Chayce came to us as the fittest of the fittest kids around.

Milera, ROB, Kelly and ROB are beasts, for these 2 kids to beat them says a lot about these kids.

I think you've missed the point totally. Ned and Chayce came to us as the fittest of the fittest kids around.

Milera, ROB, Kelly and ROB are beasts, for these 2 kids to beat them says a lot about these kids.

You've missed the point 10 years of drafting and no other elite runners??? Ned and Chayce were finishing school this time last year while the rest of them were full time athletes. They've have had years of professional athletic training advantage and still can't beat them? It's clear you're born with elite genetics and we didnt recruit any til now (that we still have on the list).

Alternatively as I suggested perhaps the relatively shorter distance combined with their smaller weights may have played to their advantage?

You've missed the point 10 years of drafting and no other elite runners??? Ned and Chayce were finishing school this time last year while the rest of them were full time athletes. They've have had years of professional athletic training advantage and still can't beat them? It's clear you're born with elite genetics and we didnt recruit any til now (that we still have on the list).

Alternatively as I suggested perhaps the relatively shorter distance combined with their smaller weights may have played to their advantage?
Back in my day I could run times which compared pretty favourably with these guys (we did 3km not 2).

I've represented Australia in cycling.

But I was a bog ordinary footballer by my own admission.

There's a lot more to it than athletics. Genetics I'll give you but hey not every father son selection turns out a gun.

If you just want elite runners, forget Gould. Can he play?

We recruited some elite runners in Ned and Chayce. That's a positive not a negative.

Yep. Both putting in underwhelming performances might be an indication of their base. Having said that Port didn’t play them much and traded both out for a reason. Maybe it was poor endurance and running ability.
I thought I heard Frampton say his endurance was one of his strengths

Back in my day I could run times which compared pretty favourably with these guys (we did 3km not 2).

I've represented Australia in cycling.

But I was a bog ordinary footballer by my own admission.

There's a lot more to it than athletics. Genetics I'll give you but hey not every father son selection turns out a gun.

If you just want elite runners, forget Gould. Can he play?

We recruited some elite runners in Ned and Chayce. That's a positive not a negative.
This is the thing. Being an elite athlete without any actual footy skills is useless.

Yeah not sure why so much focus on endurance running. Give me someone with decent endurance but better at actual football. Without knowing numbers, I'm guessing that loads of elite players don't finish in the top few at their club.

I also feel the senior, established players have less to prove in the time trial and perhaps don't push as hard as they could. I'm sure Sloaney, for example, could break the top 5 quite easily if he really pushed.

I'm not saying Chayce and Ned aren't super fit, but they certainly have more to gain from finishing at the front and making names for themselves.

I also feel the senior, established players have less to prove in the time trial and perhaps don't push as hard as they could. I'm sure Sloaney, for example, could break the top 5 quite easily if he really pushed.

I'm not saying Chayce and Ned aren't super fit, but they certainly have more to gain from finishing at the front and making names for themselves.

This would be a bit of a concern though for me if the senior players are coming back and not giving it their absolute all given the failings over the past 2 and a half years.

There’s a new coach, these guys should be champing at the bit to prove themselves.

Smith being top 5 and ROB continuing to be an elite runner for a big man are the biggest positives for our 2020 midfield. Smith permanently to a wing come inside mid is key to our top 8 chances.

We already know Chayce and Ned will run loops around opponents just need to see it in game now.

My best 22

Brown ~ Hartigan ~ Doedee
Laird ~ Talia ~ Milera
Smith ~ Crouch ~ Seedsman
ROB ~ Sloane ~ Crouch
Lynch ~ Walker ~ Jones
McHenry ~ Fogarty ~ ??
Galluci ~ Pick 6 ~ Kelly ~ Atkins

Tough to pick that last forward spot. I’ve put McHenry in there as Nicks put his name forward when he was announced.

Murphy, Frampton, Himmelburg, McAdam, Stengle, Davis, Knight all might be best.
No Gibbs?
I hope he bounces back for you guys and show why you traded him in.

It’s encouraging to see Ned and Chase really giving it a red hot go. Can’t wait to see them both together in the seniors for next year!

Just want to also point out that a 2km time trial isn’t necessarily indicative of the “best fitness”. I feel this range in distance running is more suited to endurance PLUS speed.

A 5km or 10km time trial would probably best reflect the endurance capacity of the players. Particularly relevant when AFL stats show that players usually run between 10-20km per match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say that with something like a 2km time trial or any time trial really it's not that important what position they finish but where they are compared to their personal bests.

People may be criticising players for coming near the back of the pack but if they're putting up their best ever times then surely that's a good thing.

No Gibbs?
I hope he bounces back for you guys and show why you traded him in.
I think he will, but his role has been suggested to change to half back.
Milera will move to the midfield finally.

so mine would be

Laird ~ Talia ~ Gibbs
ROB ~ Sloane ~ Crouch
Lynch ~ Walker ~ Jones
McHenry ~ Fogarty ~ Stengle*
Galluci ~ Pick 6 ~ Kelly ~ Milera

*could also be McAdam or Murphy depending on fitness and pre-season games.

2 to look at would be Frampton or Himmelberg as ruck back up but not sure where to squeeze them in.
Berg may move back into Harto's spot, I am pretty sure he played back as a junior.

My team after the time trial. Was basically the same team before it.
Draft: Time will tell but I hope the club goes with Ash for Pick 6 and trades Gws future pick which should be around 14 and our pick 22 for hopefully pick 10ish. With this pick i see us going for Stephens or McAsey. With pick 23 i feel we may for for Gould especially if we go for Stephens.

Brown Talia Doedee
Ash Gould Laird
Sloane BCrouch Stephens
Walker/Lynch Fogarty Milera
Stengle Berg/Frampton Mchenry

ROB MCrouch Smith

Jones Gallucci/Mcadam Seedsman Gibbs/Kelly

What i like about the team:
1. Pace. Smith, Milera, Jones, Gallucci, McHenry, Ash, Stehens, McAdam, Seedsman, Brown, Doedee. Half our team would have elite to good pace.
2. No Mackay, Hartigan, Atkins, Murphy, Knight. Going nowhere with these players.
3. One of only Walker or Lynch and Gibbs or Kelly.
4. Intercept marking of Doedee and Gould.

Clubs we could potentially do a pick swap for Gws future first and pick 22.
1. Hawthorn. Pick 11 for Gws future first and pick 22. The hawks trade would be the best one to get Stephens or McAsey at 11.
2. Freo. Pick 8. Gws future first, pick 22. Plus a future 3rd.
3. Geelong. Pick 14. Gws future first and ?
4. Gold coast. Pick 15. Gws future first and ?.

Last edited:
I think he will, but his role has been suggested to change to half back.
Milera will move to the midfield finally.

so mine would be

Laird ~ Talia ~ Gibbs
ROB ~ Sloane ~ Crouch
Lynch ~ Walker ~ Jones
McHenry ~ Fogarty ~ Stengle*
Galluci ~ Pick 6 ~ Kelly ~ Milera

*could also be McAdam or Murphy depending on fitness and pre-season games.

2 to look at would be Frampton or Himmelberg as ruck back up but not sure where to squeeze them in.
Berg may move back into Harto's spot, I am pretty sure he played back as a junior.
I don't think you can have your 2nd ruck also have a job as your second key defender.

From your side, I think either Seedsman or Kelly or the pick 7 comes out, and Frampton comes in, with Milera onto the wing.

This would be a bit of a concern though for me if the senior players are coming back and not giving it their absolute all given the failings over the past 2 and a half years.

There’s a new coach, these guys should be champing at the bit to prove themselves.
Exactly, there is absolutely no way a player with Sloane's competitive nature takes the foot off the peddle....No way.

Really going to enjoy letting a particular poster know how wrong he's going to be with the 2 "short people" Chayce Jones and Neddy McHenry....and impressive efforts also from Matt Crouch and Darcy Fogarty, 2 guys not known for their running prowess.
Some awesome news in that grab.

Stengle trying hard, might not look fit but he's trying.
Matty crouch maligned last year for his efforts, let's hope he keeps ramping up.
The Fog getting himself fit, he's going to be a weapon
Chayce and Mattingly coming 1 and 2. Can't wait to see these two play together.

2020 is looking up. My supercoach team is going to be littered with crows rookies.

Bloody magnificent

Last edited:
Some awesome news in that grab.

Stengle trying hard, might not look fit but he's trying.
Matty crouch maligned last year for his efforts, let's hope he keeps ramping up.
The Fog getting himself fit, he's going to be a weapon
Chayce and Mattingly coming 1 and 2. Can't wait to see these two play together.

2020 is looking up. My supercoach team is going to be littered with crows rookies.

Bloody magnificent
I love all of that, except maybe the mention of Fog's eggplant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back