Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

North is probably the only team that could do “ok” in Perth. There’s a surprisingly large north Melbourne supporter base in Perth that I’ve noticed. But still wouldn’t be enough to survive if the vic support does off due to relocation

There used to be in the Carey days, but there aren't many anymore. There would be at least half a dozen (probably more) interstate clubs with more fans over here than North.

IF there was a WA3 introduced, the logical thing would be to call it Perth and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of Perth living interstate supporting fans jumped on board.

People that follow a VFL side because their dad has a favourite player that went from their WAFL team to that VFL side when they were young and they stuck with it when WCE and Freo came in.

Or people that follow a side for no reason other than a player got stacks of dream team points but now he’s long retired and there’s no big connection.

FWIW I think NSW3 is a better option.

There used to be in the Carey days, but there aren't many anymore. There would be at least half a dozen (probably more) interstate clubs with more fans over here than North.
You’re probably right. Seen a ton of hawks supporters around and there seems to be a lot of Richmond people crawling out of the woodwork now

If the price for a more even spread of teams is a few others get dropped to the VFL then so be it.

Realistically I'd rather see a tassie or NT team first, but WA is a good footy state and I enjoy the teams.

What's the general consensus about another WA team over there? Most people behind it?
I want a Tassie side then a Canberra/ACT side. At least Canberra doesn't have to travel far to away games in NSW and Victoria.

IF there was a WA3 introduced, the logical thing would be to call it Perth and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of Perth living interstate supporting fans jumped on board.

People that follow a VFL side because their dad has a favourite player that went from their WAFL team to that VFL side when they were young and they stuck with it when WCE and Freo came in.

Or people that follow a side for no reason other than a player got stacks of dream team points but now he’s long retired and there’s no big connection.

Will the WAFL Perth Football Club change its name to accommodate?

Will the WAFL Perth Football Club change its name to accommodate?

That's the equivalent of a pebble in the road of a monster truck and asking if they're going to get over it.

There would be nothing to stop a 3rd WA team calling themselves Perth. It would be a complete disaster, but they'd still be able to use the name.

And in 1986 the VFL was not the juggernaut compared to all other leagues, as the AFL is today compared to the WAFL etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought being named west coast and not Perth helped the eagles become so widely supported. Even now people I know feel that freo represents the city of freo and west coast represented everywhere else from eucla to Albany, the goldfields to the Kimberly, the city and the country.

Never seen this thread before
You having a laugh?
You can’t count existing population they are eagles, dockers supporters or people who don’t give two hoots about afl how some one dreamt up a third team has access to a third of W.A’s population is amazing
It's been an interesting and quite instructive thread, in that most of the support for a third WA/Perth side has come from those living on the East side of the continent, while the opposition to any new side has mostly come from WA locals. It's been enough to convince an Easterner like me that it's probably not a good idea.

I always thought being named west coast and not Perth helped the eagles become so widely supported. Even now people I know feel that freo represents the city of freo and west coast represented everywhere else from eucla to Albany, the goldfields to the Kimberly, the city and the country.

Agreed, West Coast’s name is unique in the AFL. Similar like in the USA where teams have the state name instead of the city. UtahJazz, Minnesota Timberwolves, Arizona Cardinals, Florida Panthers.....

Agreed, West Coast’s name is unique in the AFL. Similar like in the USA where teams have the state name instead of the city. UtahJazz, Minnesota Timberwolves, Arizona Cardinals, Florida Panthers.....
Actually its more like golden state as its not a state name at all

Freo has kinda claimed large swathes of the South, lots of supporters in Cockburn, Kwinana, Rockingham and Mandurah.

Cockburn especially has always felt like greater Fremantle anyway (I say this as someone who grew up in Hamilton Hill).

It'd have to somehow be affiliated with the Demons(Perth FC) wouldn't it?
Surely you couldn't take an existing club's name in that state and have no connection.

It'd have to somehow be affiliated with the Demons(Perth FC) wouldn't it?
Surely you couldn't take an existing club's name in that state and have no connection.

I wouldn’t have thought so. If anything the demons probably get a payout by said new club. But are they Perth Football Club or Perth Demons Football Club?

There’s many ways around it anyhow.

Behind a paywall - anyone subscribe to The West?

Interesting argument, but still fails to identify where the latent support is for the theoretical third side is.

Pointing to holes on the map or in the fixture doesn't really cut it.

Interesting argument, but still fails to identify where the latent support is for the theoretical third side is.

Pointing to holes on the map or in the fixture doesn't really cut it.

Not to mention the players, if you want to watch 2nd div footballers go the WAFL, the VFL, the SANFL ... carn Subi !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back