Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah i need to get down an see an MCW show i might go to the one in March with Jimmy Havoc.

whats the ticket prices roughly? just for ur average seat

It's like 30 bucks for general admission. But from what I can gather, the likelihood of that getting you a seat (as opposed to standing room) varies.

For the January show there seemed to be only 5 rows of seating. Everyone else is standing

For Saturday's show, there were clearly less people there, and there appeared to be 7 rows of seating.

I believe the first 2 rows get snapped up pretty much immediately by "MCW members". I'm not sure if you can reserve the 3rd and 4th rows, but I went past the theatre on the tram at about 6pm on Saturday night and there were already people lined up, which leads me to believe it's probably just first in best dressed.

Who do people think are the most over/under rated wrestlers in the aussie scene?

I'm not in a position to talk about under rated/over rated wrestlers having only been to 2 shows, and not really knowing anything about the scene to know who is rated - but the 2 that have really stood out in MCW are Dowie James and Airbender Royce Chambers.

I'd be interested to know what Dowie has going on outside of wrestling. There has to be a reason that he's only working MCW and local high school gyms and Italian clubs. He's so good. His promos are amazing, and in MCW he's the guy getting to wrestling Ospreay and Havoc. He's got star written all over him.

From what I understand, Airbender Royce is pretty fresh out of training. But I can see him working places like Progress, PWG or a mid-sized Japanese promotion like Dragon Gate within 12 months. Everything he does is so crisp. And he's one of those smallish guys who takes a really great, convincing beating.

I'm biased cos I love her. And I'd hate MCW to lose her for any extent of time because the women's division is so small to begin with - but the other one I'd mention is Avary. I think she's done a little bit overseas, including a pretty major Stardom tour last year. But she's good in the ring, and she's got such a good charisma, she deserves a shot in English speaking promotions overseas I think. I doubt her schtick would translate that well to Stardom long term when her promos aren't really of any use.

I guess the difficulty with that is that while the Japanese tour structure lends itself pretty well to an international who can go and work for 2 weeks and wrestle 5 or 6 shows, going to Europe or the US requires a lot more hustle. You're probably not going all that way to work one weekend of 2 SHIMMER shows, so you need to find other bookings to justify the expense.

Who do people think are the most over/under rated wrestlers in the aussie scene?

He got hired by the WWE so obviously he is good but I honestly thought that Elliot Sexton was pretty overrated during his Championship run in MCW. Good talker, decent worker, jacked to the gills (pretty obvious that he's on PEDs because I have seen his back and there's more than a few pimples) but I just didn't really feel it. It might be because most of the standout talent were midcarders at the time but I remember his match with Davis Storm being just okay which seems like a hell of an accomplishment with a talent like Storm.

Someone that I look back on as actually being pretty underrated is Mike Peterson. Dude just kinda disappeared from the scene after dropping the MCW title to Carlo Cannon and has only worked like a dozen shows for Warzone Wrestling since 2016. It's a shame because he actually could work and had a killer look so he could have ended up on the WWEs radar.

Jonah Rock i'll put in the overrated bracket. His move set just isn't impressive and the rest holds he has to incorporate because of the bad cardio. I don't know why he wears a mouthguard given most of the time, it is out of his mouth trying to catch his breath.

Robbie Eagles i'll put in the underrated bracket. I thought he was decent high flyer in MCW whenever I saw him a few years ago but I think he has taken his skills to a new level in NJPW. I can't recall him using the Ron Miller special submission at MCW. Very good move.

Note on Avary. She won't make it anywhere unless she changes her gimmick. The bogan look makes her ugly and unappealing to the eye. If she cleaned herself up, she is actually pretty and may then get a trial at a WWE like Indi Hartwell did.

Adam Brooks signed with ROH

Brooks V Slex has been the best match I've seen live in MCW--- really glad that both of them are now in ROH together. With how ROH has already treated Slex (debuting against Flip Gordon); these two could be major players in ROH and maybe eventually one of the big players.

It's a bummer for MCW so soon after losing Slex and putting the belt on Brooks. But it's a great opportunity for Brooks, and a great signing for ROH.

Peter Sidorkiewicz or others who have more knowledge/history of the indy scene - I've read that Brooks' overseas excursion last year was a bit of a disaster. What happened that it was so bad?

I read this week that he's defending the MCW belt in some indy in the US against TJ Perkins. I wonder if there's a possibility that TJP wins the belt before coming out here and dropping it?

Royce Chambers is also booked for a DDT tour in March, which is both excellent and not at all surprising. As I said a couple of posts up, I don't think Chambers is long for the Australian scene.

Note on Avary. She won't make it anywhere unless she changes her gimmick. The bogan look makes her ugly and unappealing to the eye. If she cleaned herself up, she is actually pretty and may then get a trial at a WWE like Indi Hartwell did.

I don't know about that. I haven't seen a lot of Session Moth Martina, but from what I've seen it's a pretty similar trash bag gimmick. And she's just signed with ROH after reportedly turning down NXT UK.

Wonder if WWE would hold an NXT house show in Australia with Australia's best wrestling talent competing against each other. would so go and it will sell so many tickets plus the WWE can sign up a bunch of Aussie wrestlers.

They wouldn't be touring the NXT brand now that they have weekly tv. WWE can just hold tryouts when the main brands tour.

Wonder if WWE would hold an NXT house show in Australia with Australia's best wrestling talent competing against each other. would so go and it will sell so many tickets plus the WWE can sign up a bunch of Aussie wrestlers.

NXT did that in 2016– came across & did a week of house shows in Australia, including to cities that didn’t normally get shows (Canberra, Newcastle, Gold Coast, etc.)

I went to the Melbourne show at Margaret Court Arena. It’s still the best WWE Show I’ve seen in Melbourne. The card included Samoa Joe Vs Shinsuke Nakamura in a Steel Cage & 4 matches with Australians (DIY Vs TM-61, Peyton Royce Vs Askua, Billie Kay Vs Liv Morgan vs Ember Moon and Buddy Murphy & Tye Dillinger Vs Bobby Roode & Elias).

Being NXT & only a few months after a main show tour, it was more of a mature wrestling crowd than normal WWE events and it made for a really fun night.

But IMO; unless the WWE co-promoted with MCW, PCW or another local promotion I wouldn’t want to see the card filled with local talent— if NXT comes out, give us NXT talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kellyanne article isn't really clear whether it's an ongoing signing, or whether it's just a tour/appearances/one tournament.

Starting to feel like a bit of a raid on MCW though. Not that you begrudge any of the wrestlers taking up opportunities. And I suspect most fans want these guys to go and be a big deal so you can be the guy that saw Nirvana at Big Day Out just as they were about to blow up.

It's just a bummer to lose plenty at once. Especially women, cos they have so few.

World Series Wrestling out of Australia, which brings tours of U.S. stars, has announced shows for 6/13 and 6/14 in Melbourne and 6/15 in Sydney. The first night they are going head-to-head with Melbourne City Wrestling's biggest show of the year, Ballroom Brawl. Most of the top Australian talent is working the MCW show and they booked the date back in October.

World Series Wrestling out of Australia, which brings tours of U.S. stars, has announced shows for 6/13 and 6/14 in Melbourne and 6/15 in Sydney. The first night they are going head-to-head with Melbourne City Wrestling's biggest show of the year, Ballroom Brawl. Most of the top Australian talent is working the MCW show and they booked the date back in October.

Darby Allin and Orange Cassidy are the 2 internationals announced so far... nothing there to encourage me to give up Ballroom Brawl and go to Ferntree Gully for WSW. Especially based on the ticket prices from the last tour.

If anyone's interested, ROH posted Slex's full match from the weekend vs Scurll and Bandido on youtube.

For someone who is just getting back into ROH after a 10 year break, it's still amazing to me how amateurish it looks and sounds compared to other promotions with much smaller budgets.

Darby Allin and Orange Cassidy are the 2 internationals announced so far... nothing there to encourage me to give up Ballroom Brawl and go to Ferntree Gully for WSW. Especially based on the ticket prices from the last tour.

Britt Baker is the 3rd international announced. Looking at this, looks like Brian Cage will be coming back too....

1583269404636.png

It's turning into a pretty good group of AEW wrestlers. Shame it's only Melbourne and Syd. I remember Sammy Guvera tweeting out recently that he'll be here this year so I reckon he'll get announced too.

Saturday has sold out, tickets still available for Sunday.

Having been before, i dont get how World Series Wrestling makes their money.

The venue in Melbourne only holds 500 seats. If average tickets are $100 per seat, they would only make $50,000 per night. Then you factor the cost of bring talent from USA to perform. What would be a conservative amount per wrestler $10,000 USD? About $15,000 AUD, ticket sales for all 3 nights would barely break even to pay the talent, assuming around 8 international wrestlers are annouced. Therefore profit would only be made on merch and dvds - which is a declining market.

Anyway, am going on Sunday, as it would be a good opportunity to see AEW talent live.

Saturday has sold out, tickets still available for Sunday.

Having been before, i dont get how World Series Wrestling makes their money.

The venue in Melbourne only holds 500 seats. If average tickets are $100 per seat, they would only make $50,000 per night. Then you factor the cost of bring talent from USA to perform. What would be a conservative amount per wrestler $10,000 USD? About $15,000 AUD, ticket sales for all 3 nights would barely break even to pay the talent, assuming around 8 international wrestlers are annouced. Therefore profit would only be made on merch and dvds - which is a declining market.

Anyway, am going on Sunday, as it would be a good opportunity to see AEW talent live.

Are they doing meet & greets, or digital download/streams of their shows?

Are they doing meet & greets, or digital download/streams of their shows?
Yes for meet & greets. The price this year is $30 which gets you in an hour earlier to meet the wrestlers, but then you have to pay on top that what the wrestlers charge for photos and autographs. For example last year Cody charge $20 per photo and per autograph. So it can add up quickly.

Personally i dont think paying $30 to get in early is worth it, unless you really want a photo/autograph with someone or want to buy a wrestlers tshirt. If you wait until the end of the event most wrestlers come back to the designated meet & greet and sign stuff, take photos, sell their shirts to anyone. So you can get around not paying $30.

Having said that, with the talent they have already annouced and Orange Cassidy being one of the most in demand wrestlers for the past couple of years. If you want to meet him, then you should probably buy the meet & greet to avoid disappointment.

Not sure about digital downloads, although last year they had a match or two on facebook live stream for free, that anyone could of watched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back